Olpherts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
CHTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Olpherts

Post by CHTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 08:31

I am not blaming Olpherts for the loss, although I’m blaming him for the pathetic tackle he made on Linnet for there first try. I just think he’s garbage in general.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Sep 2021, 08:39

the club invested in a top class winger who over the last two years we have seen 10 mins his travelling buddy as hardly performed any better, these two lads will be on top money, of all the signings DP as made these two have been the worst and make Olpherts look a very good buy

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 09:28

gateman wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:39 the club invested in a top class winger who over the last two years we have seen 10 mins his travelling buddy as hardly performed any better, these two lads will be on top money, of all the signings DP as made these two have been the worst and make Olpherts look a very good buy
Nails it. Great post.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 12 Sep 2021, 10:22

Gomersal Tiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:13 I can't understand why someone raises a thread about 1 individual after that performance. Quite easily could have done one for most players. Turner, he missed the first tackle when they scored the first try, he cannot pass to his right causing us to miss out on a sitter, same against Wigan resulting in length of field try. Holmes 2 penalties in first 5 minutes. I could go on and on about individuals.
You will not win against today's defenses with one man rugby. No invention. No ideas. No chance if we don't change.
That’s a better articulation of what I was trying to say! Agree

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 12 Sep 2021, 10:46

Gomersal Tiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:13 I can't understand why someone raises a thread about 1 individual after that performance. Quite easily could have done one for most players. Turner, he missed the first tackle when they scored the first try, he cannot pass to his right causing us to miss out on a sitter, same against Wigan resulting in length of field try. Holmes 2 penalties in first 5 minutes. I could go on and on about individuals.
You will not win against today's defenses with one man rugby. No invention. No ideas. No chance if we don't change.
Exactly. Why are we playing one man rugby.
Is it because Powell knows our three quarters are gash.
We have one of the best fullbacks in SL, we hardly use him as the extra man ala hardaker. Why have we stopped playing like that.
Constantly going down the middle is getting us no where.

CHTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CHTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 11:03

Again, I don’t think people see the point in this post and have their rose tinted glasses on. In no way shape or form is Olpherts blamed for the defeat, I have never said that, the team was awful in general baring a few players I.e evalds and Milner. Players like Shenny, Clare & Blair all get a lot of flack on this forum and Olpherts gets none when he’s just is equally as bad if not worse in some cases of the 3 aforementioned names. Countless times he’s let tries past him when there has been one on one situations that any good winger would stop! Numerous times he has stepped inside and fluffed chances to finish, when he could have scored. I rather give Brad Graham or Qareqare a chance than let a winger that’s only attribute is to run the ball out of our own line and consistently is poor week in week out!

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 12 Sep 2021, 11:15

old cas lass wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 10:46
Exactly. Why are we playing one man rugby.
Is it because Powell knows our three quarters are gash.
We have one of the best fullbacks in SL, we hardly use him as the extra man ala hardaker. Why have we stopped playing like that.
Constantly going down the middle is getting us no where.
We gave got the ball to shenton/clare a few times with them 2 on 2 and never looked like scoring. Can't understand why qareqare isn't infront of clare least he has some pace. Be interesting to see how many yards olpherts made compared to clare

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Sep 2021, 11:21

I think Qareqare would have taken a couple of those passes that Clare got last night and gone for the line with self belief. Sadly Clare has lost his IMO

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 12 Sep 2021, 11:26

CHTiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:03 Again, I don’t think people see the point in this post and have their rose tinted glasses on. In no way shape or form is Olpherts blamed for the defeat, I have never said that, the team was awful in general baring a few players I.e evalds and Milner. Players like Shenny, Clare & Blair all get a lot of flack on this forum and Olpherts gets none when he’s just is equally as bad if not worse in some cases of the 3 aforementioned names. Countless times he’s let tries past him when there has been one on one situations that any good winger would stop! Numerous times he has stepped inside and fluffed chances to finish, when he could have scored. I rather give Brad Graham or Qareqare a chance than let a winger that’s only attribute is to run the ball out of our own line and consistently is poor week in week out!
3rd in meters made and 4th in tackle busts in league. Playing on our right edge he's never going to score many

CHTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CHTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 11:53

dude wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:26
CHTiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:03 Again, I don’t think people see the point in this post and have their rose tinted glasses on. In no way shape or form is Olpherts blamed for the defeat, I have never said that, the team was awful in general baring a few players I.e evalds and Milner. Players like Shenny, Clare & Blair all get a lot of flack on this forum and Olpherts gets none when he’s just is equally as bad if not worse in some cases of the 3 aforementioned names. Countless times he’s let tries past him when there has been one on one situations that any good winger would stop! Numerous times he has stepped inside and fluffed chances to finish, when he could have scored. I rather give Brad Graham or Qareqare a chance than let a winger that’s only attribute is to run the ball out of our own line and consistently is poor week in week out!
3rd in meters made and 4th in tackle busts in league. Playing on our right edge he's never going to score many
Again, I have said plenty of times he’s good at running the ball in there’s no doubting that, but that’s all he’s got. I believe the right gets more of their fair share of possession, especially if Matatutia is the right centre, he just doesn’t possess decent finishing abilities or defensive abilities you need to be a super league winger. Even just having one of them qualities would make him okay, like Greg Eden for example who is one of the best finishers in the league but not great defensively, but he has nothing in his locker other than running it out from our half!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 12 Sep 2021, 11:56

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:21 I think Qareqare would have taken a couple of those passes that Clare got last night and gone for the line with self belief. Sadly Clare has lost his IMO
Apparently he’s injured, which is a shame cos his confidence must be sky high after the hull game.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 12 Sep 2021, 12:46

CHTiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:53
dude wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:26
Again, I have said plenty of times he’s good at running the ball in there’s no doubting that, but that’s all he’s got. I believe the right gets more of their fair share of possession, especially if Matatutia is the right centre, he just doesn’t possess decent finishing abilities or defensive abilities you need to be a super league winger. Even just having one of them qualities would make him okay, like Greg Eden for example who is one of the best finishers in the league but not great defensively, but he has nothing in his locker other than running it out from our half!
Good job someone will run it out though. Don't know what your watching either saying our right edge gets more than their fair share of opportunities. Couldn't remember him having a chance to score last night other than the try he scored. Where clare/Shenton had loads of touches of the ball near line. Think some people just dislike a player and blame them for everything

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 12 Sep 2021, 12:49

CHTiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:31 I am not blaming Olpherts for the loss, although I’m blaming him for the pathetic tackle he made on Linnet for there first try. I just think he’s garbage in general.
Is Holmes garbage also for missing his tackle last night and is Shenton garbage after Falou made him look like a wheezing old carthorse (given that Falou being a class player) ???????

You can go on and on about players but there were a number of players well below par last night as you can also criticize certain players generally being garbage in that performance (Richardson as an example and even Matautia who has been playing well made no impact and neither did Matagi/Hepi/Griffin/Turner or Smith. Shenton is well past his sell by date and I just don't see anything positive about Clare who is a decent sized bloke and has no running aggression in him whatsoever !!

I hope Radford is bringing a very big sweeping brush with him for next season as there are players around who can perform better given the right pick out there (Wakey have shown that to be the case as they have brought in a few decent players who aint cost a lot and have performed well this season with close losses and some decent wins against bigger teams) !!!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Sep 2021, 13:13

I’m not getting into the Olpherts debate any more but it was a shame that we couldn’t exploit the flanks more in the last half hour with both Hall and Minimin sat in the stands

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 12 Sep 2021, 15:04

I actually missed the game so can't comment on his performance yesterday but in general I really don't rate Olpherts in all honesty. Not the worst player and certainly not bad for depth but I do hope that next year he'll rarely be in the team with Feki hopefully being back, Faraimo coming in and Eden potentially being kept

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 12 Sep 2021, 15:06

CasRus wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:49 is Shenton garbage after Falou made him look like a wheezing old carthorse (given that Falou being a class player) ???????
Yes. Shenton is absolute garbage and well over due his retirement

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 12 Sep 2021, 20:17

LeagueLeaders wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 15:04 I actually missed the game so can't comment on his performance yesterday but in general I really don't rate Olpherts in all honesty. Not the worst player and certainly not bad for depth but I do hope that next year he'll rarely be in the team with Feki hopefully being back, Faraimo coming in and Eden potentially being kept
I concur with this as Faraimo/Eden are good enough and better than Olpherts however Feki remains an unknown quantity as to whether he will ever start and what he's going to be like after such a long layoff !! Mind you Clare might be pushing for a regular spot !!............ NOT !!.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 13 Sep 2021, 11:31

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:21 I think Qareqare would have taken a couple of those passes that Clare got last night and gone for the line with self belief. Sadly Clare has lost his IMO
I wonder why with the super League coaches on here. One loss and we are bagging certain players.

No one to every high ball, evalds included. None made every tackle, no one made the right decision every time.

Tbh, we are in a shot for the top 6, who'd have thought that without a regular half back partnership and covid.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 13 Sep 2021, 11:36

Whatever your thoughts are on our wingers there's one guy I would've loved to have in my team and he couldn't tackle a Sunday lunch - Martin Offiah.

Nuff said.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 13 Sep 2021, 11:37

LeagueLeaders wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 15:06
CasRus wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:49 is Shenton garbage after Falou made him look like a wheezing old carthorse (given that Falou being a class player) ???????
Yes. Shenton is absolute garbage and well over due his retirement
Cant see him retiring nothing been announced.