What do Castleford fans think about this

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Dunkirk Spirit
Academy Player
Academy Player

What do Castleford fans think about this

Post by Dunkirk Spirit » 31 Jul 2021, 08:31

Tweeted last night. I think SL will never look the same in 2 years time, it’s likely there won’t be the 5 yorkshire clubs in the new Super League 1.

Mat Shaw has just tweeted

A proposal has been tabled to increase Super League to 14 teams in 2022, followed by a huge restructure that would see Super League become two divisions of ten.

Rugby League Live can reveal that the proposal was revealed in a clubs meeting on Friday that could see another restructuring of the sport's divisions in time for the next broadcast deal in 2023.

There is thought to be an appetite to reduce the top flight to ten teams in the long term in an attempt to provide high-quality competition on a weekly basis for broadcasters while also strengthening the second-tier, which it is hoped would then bolster the attraction of a TV deal for the competition.

However, the proposal would see the top flight initially increase the number of teams, before relegating four teams in 2022. It is seen as the fairest way to remould the divisions in light of the impact Covid-19 is having on the season.

There's a growing belief that it would be unfair to relegate a team from Super League at the end of the season given the disruption that has been caused due to Covid-19. A large number of games are set to be unfulfilled due to the number of outbreaks across the competition, with the virus still causing postponements.

However, with the vast majority of Championship fixtures being fulfilled, there's also no valid reason to deny promotion from taking place at the culmination of the campaign. As such, the proposal is to promote two teams, to ensure an even number of teams are in the division next year.

Four teams would then be relegated next year and would be joined in the second tier by the six teams who finish highest in the next year's Championship.

Crucially, the gulf in distribution money between the two competitions would be significantly reduced. It's hoped that will make promotion and relegation more sustainable for clubs moving between the two divisions, while also closing the funding gap for the part-time clubs that would be in the second-tier.
One drawback of the proposal would be a lack of home games, with an 18-fixture format providing a guarantee of just nine home games per season. However, it's thought there are plans to ensure clubs can host further home fixtures.

The proposal is one of several on the table. Castleford Tigers' managing director, Mark Gratton, is said to have also tabled a proposal that clubs have been told to go and consider.

But sources at Championship level have been left encouraged by the meeting, with one admitting the distribution figures discussed weren't as bad as they had feared.
T
Clubs had been wary of a huge drop in funding due to the reduced Sky TV deal, however, with the restructure proposals in place, their funding would not be cut as significantly as they feared.

However, there is thought to be concern among clubs that may not make the top two divisions. As part of the proposal, funding would be significantly cut for teams not in the top two divisions.

Clubs have been left to consider the proposals on the table, with further consultation to take place next week.

RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer said: “We are all – Super League Europe, clubs and the RFL – focused on the future. All of us involved in these discussions today want the very best for their clubs, players, fans and the whole game.

“The collective approach has been positive and constructive, and there will be further consultation with clubs in the coming days.”

Ken Davy, the interim Super League chairman, added: “The emphasis of today’s meeting was to provide a platform for discussion on several key areas of the sport, which can be the catalyst to drive the game forward in the coming years
The whole game approach to these discussions is testament to the importance placed on ensuring we deliver a compelling, long-lasting structure for the whole sport.

“The next two years are absolutely vital for the sport. We need to continue to make Rugby League an attractive sport to supporters, broadcasters, viewers and commercial partners.

“Ultimately, this sport is about the players on the pitch, and the excitement and drama they create.”

Burbo79

Re: What do Castleford fans think about this

Post by Burbo79 » 31 Jul 2021, 08:38

Not good! Cas aren’t what the RFL wasn’t as a Super League club. We’re not a big city and we don’t have a massively oversized unowned stadium. They’ve wanted us out since the inception of the league but have never quite managed it. Maybe this time they will.

Just my opinion. I’m sure time will tell.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 31 Jul 2021, 08:44

Whatever they come up with it has to be kept for more than one season choping and changing all the time is making RL look foolish yet again
14 team league is better than 10 you don't want teams to be playing each other all the time
I guarantee that if say Wigan look likely to be in the bottom 4 teams this time next year you will see the rules suddenly change or the salary cap be ignored
Most people I know are sick to the back teeth of the way rugby league is run unless the people who run the sport start making better desicions across the board the game will keep declining
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 08:47

Reading the whole article suggests lots of options being considered so pushing a particular one to grab headlines at this stage is just spin.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 08:50

Burbo79 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 08:38 Not good! Cas aren’t what the RFL wasn’t as a Super League club. We’re not a big city and we don’t have a massively oversized unowned stadium. They’ve wanted us out since the inception of the league but have never quite managed it. Maybe this time they will.

Just my opinion. I’m sure time will tell.
Not sure what the RFL want because it’s made up of the clubs.
The real issue for me is who gets the power and voting rights when and if the RFL and Superleague remerge

tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tykeneil » 31 Jul 2021, 09:02

My comments for what they are worth is "same old same old" - just that the Football SL tried

We will never get anywhere or proper and worthy investment by keep changing things. It make seem nice for another quick cheap SKY deal.
What is the validity of long term contracts for players when they do not know where they will play in 2 years
What is meant by sustainable promotion/relegation - have we ever had that

There is no true leadership at RL level - Elston (didn't really deliver), Rimmer (enough said after the Academy farce), remember Nigel Wood with his idea of awarding a point to each club that wins each half & the bonus point. May as well get Schoey in as a consultant.

Never thought I would say this (even with the total Wigan bias) - bring back Maurice Lindsay

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 31 Jul 2021, 09:22

As long as it don't return to a franchise system we are finished if it comes to a close shop again. Can see some right cheating and swindling if looking like the bottom four are not the clubs they want to go down .

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 31 Jul 2021, 09:46

another day, another Rugby League restructuring. Joke sport.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 31 Jul 2021, 10:41

Re-structuring won’t make the product any better.
I think the mind-set is all wrong in terms of going to ten teams. The argument is that 10 teams means better quality, but in reality all the best players are already at the top 11 clubs. The difference to quality by reducing to 10 would be negligible. They’ve fixated on less teams making the league better, but it doesn’t. What it does is create repetitive fixtures that nobody wants to watch over and over again, season after season, either live or on TV.
The other misconception they are working with is that they want every team to have a chance of winning. But that’s just not sport. At the moment, the only important aspect of the whole season is the GF. If we’re honest, nobody cares who comes top of the league (unless it’s your team) or at the bottom (unless it’s your team). That needs to change.
As harsh as it sounds, one of the things the sport is missing is a relegation battle. RL’s obsession with relegation as a negative concept has damaged the interest in the game. There needs to be a good relegation scrap because it creates the drama that is missing at the moment. Moving to 14 teams is the best way to achieve this. We know there will be a ‘bottom end’ of the table, but that’s a good thing. If Featherstone and Toulouse has been promoted alongside Leigh this year, there would probably be a really interesting battle going on to avoid relegation (and six high-interest games) rather than just a sacrificial team in Leigh.
The on-field product is also poor at the moment. We’re not seeing anywhere near enough attacking rugby. I’d be tempted to make some radical changes around how the game is played, for example getting rid of the option to kick penalties (boring) and we have got to sort out the tackle/play-the-ball slugfest that’s more like wrestling than RL. It’s made the game so slow it’s bordering on RU.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 31 Jul 2021, 10:59

In 2017 there was something different in the sport as Cas won the league by a wide margin it got people excited outside the heartlands reports in the newspapers and on tv that wouldn't have happened in a "Normal season "
You don't need a closed shop with Wigan playing Saints every other week you need a league with teams who arnt as wealthy as others involved
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 31 Jul 2021, 11:01

After nearly 52 years of watching Rugby League I don't even check now to see who's playing who. I never thought I'd lose interest in the game but sorry to say I couldn't care less. It's a farce.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 31 Jul 2021, 11:02

3 words that capture what the people "leading" our sport have created as a brand in the media and with the UK public:

- Gimmick
- Amateur
- Myopic

methleytiger

Post by methleytiger » 31 Jul 2021, 11:27

It’s such a shame the way our game is heading l too after over 50 years of watching am bored of the same old same old same team’s at the top.
You know before heading down lane what teams will be allowed to get away with, Wigan high shots, FC and Hudds laying on Sts wire offside rhinos and catalan anything to win, KR cats us must be kept in there place.
Sadly no season tickets for us next year.

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: ...waiting at the gates to the promised land, that being Glasshoughton.....well near to there now.

Post by cvtiger » 31 Jul 2021, 11:28

I know covid has cocked up the fixtures but from next year…..
Games on a Friday night, Sat night & Sunday afternoon only. Grow some balls and don’t let sky dictate, bag em off at next contract round.
No loop fixtures, 14 team league with relegation dog fight. Wish the championship was stronger so those coming up had more of a chance to stay up.
Challenge Cup July.
Magic Weekend somewhere.
Grand final.

Sort out the play the ball, less video ref and bring back Tiger Tot & Mr Perfect.

Minimum standard for stadia and if you don’t meet it you are out. If that’s us so be it. Licencing reappearing is too much but come on Cas, the old girl needs updating.

How many meetings are needed to get back to where we were 20 years ago.

It’s like a bloody scratched record at the powers that be.
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

methleytiger

Post by methleytiger » 31 Jul 2021, 11:32

Forgot to add my pet hate refs talking to players as if they are in the pub together USE THERE B—-DY NUMBERS

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 31 Jul 2021, 11:39

Piquad1 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:01 After nearly 52 years of watching Rugby League I don't even check now to see who's playing who. I never thought I'd lose interest in the game but sorry to say I couldn't care less. It's a farce.

Ditto.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 31 Jul 2021, 14:09

Just another money grab by the top sides, making sure they keep the majority of the TV money. Can't see how all the changes are making the product on the field any better and the game looks like it is in terminal decline.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 14:41

Not sure this possible option is necessarily just a top team money grab if it means the next league down is financially stable and league places are based solely on on field performance. If they go for this particular model, the proof of whether it works is whether they can sell the lower league to TV Channels and also if promoted teams have enough money to be genuinely competitive on promotion and big clubs aren’t exempt when they have bad years
In terms of the next two years Cas shouldn’t be fearful of playing well enough to remain in the top 10, provided it’s about what happens on the pitch.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 31 Jul 2021, 16:30

Unfortunately it won't Tamworth.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 16:59

Probably not, but most clubs will have to support the solution if it’s part of bringing the game back together again.
I’m not sure they could even get a majority of Super League clubs