What do Castleford fans think about this

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: What do Castleford fans think about this

Post by old cas lass » 31 Jul 2021, 11:39

Piquad1 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:01 After nearly 52 years of watching Rugby League I don't even check now to see who's playing who. I never thought I'd lose interest in the game but sorry to say I couldn't care less. It's a farce.

Ditto.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 31 Jul 2021, 14:09

Just another money grab by the top sides, making sure they keep the majority of the TV money. Can't see how all the changes are making the product on the field any better and the game looks like it is in terminal decline.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 14:41

Not sure this possible option is necessarily just a top team money grab if it means the next league down is financially stable and league places are based solely on on field performance. If they go for this particular model, the proof of whether it works is whether they can sell the lower league to TV Channels and also if promoted teams have enough money to be genuinely competitive on promotion and big clubs aren’t exempt when they have bad years
In terms of the next two years Cas shouldn’t be fearful of playing well enough to remain in the top 10, provided it’s about what happens on the pitch.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 31 Jul 2021, 16:30

Unfortunately it won't Tamworth.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 16:59

Probably not, but most clubs will have to support the solution if it’s part of bringing the game back together again.
I’m not sure they could even get a majority of Super League clubs

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 31 Jul 2021, 17:10

old cas lass wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:39
Piquad1 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:01 After nearly 52 years of watching Rugby League I don't even check now to see who's playing who. I never thought I'd lose interest in the game but sorry to say I couldn't care less. It's a farce.
Ditto.
ditto here too, im already sick of seeing the same side play each other several times, whats it going to be like with only 10 teams. what a sad state of affairs.

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 31 Jul 2021, 19:03

To be honest I’ve got past caring what they do I have watched and played the game for longer than I care to remember and I have never felt like I do now about the game,I don’t think I would be bothered if I never watched another game and sky can shove my package where the sun don’t shine.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 Aug 2021, 21:36

It says in tomorrow's league express Sky are behind the plans for a restructure there apparently not satisfied with the standard of some of the games theve covered this season and have given the clubs two years until the next tv deal to get there house in order or they will stop covering the game
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 Aug 2021, 22:13

I’d love to know what League Express’s source is.
How are clubs supposed to guarantee the quality of games with squads decimated by a global pandemic? There’s got to be more to it than that.

Horsifer

Post by Horsifer » 01 Aug 2021, 23:06

For too long now the gatekeepers of the game have tried their best to promote the so called big teams, whilst marginalising other teams, Cas being one of them. Superleague has become like Scottish football, in that only a small number of teams are successful - it's boring. They have tried time and time again to expand into areas that don't really want the game: Newcastle, London, Wales, etc whilst allowing heartland clubs to suffer and struggle: Hunslet, Bramley, Swinton, Keighley, Barrow, etc. The gatekeepers have decimated the amateur game with players given very little chance of making it as a professional unless through an academy. Sadly, the game is dying from within. The only way I think rugby league will survive is if Sky do actually pull the plug and take their money away! Rugby league will then be forced to return to a semi-professional basis, meaning the new gatekeepers of will be there for the right reasons, not for the money as some previous and current ones appear to be. The profile of the amateur game will increase. The game is a fantastic product, but it's not inherently financially rich like football, or cricket or rugby union. The idea of paying players a years salary for 6 months' work is bonkers. The game just cannot afford to maintain this type of business model. Rugby league is a fantastic game, but it fundamentally is a regional game and deserves to be left alone and not tried to be constantly sold to audiences that don't appear to want it at the expense of those of us that do. Sorry, rant over. #COYF.
Hold firm, have faith. #COYF

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 Aug 2021, 23:11

Great post. There’s a ‘Future of the Game’ thread on the RL Fans bit of the Forum. It would be great to get a copy of this post on there. Between us, we might even come up with a solution!

tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tykeneil » 02 Aug 2021, 09:37

No SKY Sport coverage = no video ref, no Phil Clark, Barrie & Terry!!

Really gone down hill since Stevo retired (can't believe I said that!

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 02 Aug 2021, 09:53

Unfortunately only reason castleford is full time is because off the sky money and probably half off league as well. As long as clubs can't finance them selfs sky will always have last say can't see, any thing changing in the near future.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Aug 2021, 09:55

Horsifer wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 23:06 For too long now the gatekeepers of the game have tried their best to promote the so called big teams, whilst marginalising other teams, Cas being one of them. Superleague has become like Scottish football, in that only a small number of teams are successful - it's boring. They have tried time and time again to expand into areas that don't really want the game: Newcastle, London, Wales, etc whilst allowing heartland clubs to suffer and struggle: Hunslet, Bramley, Swinton, Keighley, Barrow, etc. The gatekeepers have decimated the amateur game with players given very little chance of making it as a professional unless through an academy. Sadly, the game is dying from within. The only way I think rugby league will survive is if Sky do actually pull the plug and take their money away! Rugby league will then be forced to return to a semi-professional basis, meaning the new gatekeepers of will be there for the right reasons, not for the money as some previous and current ones appear to be. The profile of the amateur game will increase. The game is a fantastic product, but it's not inherently financially rich like football, or cricket or rugby union. The idea of paying players a years salary for 6 months' work is bonkers. The game just cannot afford to maintain this type of business model. Rugby league is a fantastic game, but it fundamentally is a regional game and deserves to be left alone and not tried to be constantly sold to audiences that don't appear to want it at the expense of those of us that do. Sorry, rant over. #COYF.
Great post ...Rugby League is a fantastic game to watch but for one reason or another it's never been shown in its best light by the people who make the desicions on the sport
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 02 Aug 2021, 10:17

old cas lass wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:39

Ditto.
Ditto x 2. If it collapsed tomorrow would blink an eye lid. Has anybody even played since CC final ? Not even bothered to look.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 02 Aug 2021, 10:27

tigerfeat wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 21:36 It says in tomorrow's league express Sky are behind the plans for a restructure there apparently not satisfied with the standard of some of the games theve covered this season and have given the clubs two years until the next tv deal to get there house in order or they will stop covering the game
Having read the article it reads to me that they are requiring an improvement in quality, not dictating how that is achieved so it means the games played need to be competitive. The starting point for me would be getting rid of all the loopholes to the salary cap to stop the top teams always being able to stay there with the help of the fiddle factor.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Aug 2021, 10:41

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 10:27
tigerfeat wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 21:36 It says in tomorrow's league express Sky are behind the plans for a restructure there apparently not satisfied with the standard of some of the games theve covered this season and have given the clubs two years until the next tv deal to get there house in order or they will stop covering the game
Having read the article it reads to me that they are requiring an improvement in quality, not dictating how that is achieved so it means the games played need to be competitive. The starting point for me would be getting rid of all the loopholes to the salary cap to stop the top teams always being able to stay there with the help of the fiddle factor.
Yes that's right I just read part of the article last night online
I thought while reading it and watching the Leeds game how easy it would be to improve just basic things like not having a video ref who gives the Charnley try a try that was never a try in a million years goodness knows what people from outside the sport thought watching that
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 02 Aug 2021, 12:56

Some good posts.

For me we have to dump SKY. Take the game back into the hands of the fans. We seem to always want to follow the NRL but we don't have the financial clout and can't pay their wages without having benefactors who have worked out how to fiddle the cap.

In football, most teams pay out more than they get in just on wages, nevermind the other stuff needed like grounds, training facilities, coaching, youth work... RL needs to become at least break even.

We need to get our game back. There will be a few years of hurt and there'll be a player drain to the NRL, but there always had been. The best players all want to chance their arm, good on them.

A cap only works when it's straight across the board and real penalties. Imagine getting a 20 point penalty and losing your hard won title from the year before.

A players wage should be equal in line with the years its for, not 1k the first year, 50k the next and 1million the last year.

It's nothing to do world class facilities but the minimum need raising and I'd even accept Cas being given a deadline, then we'll know what we are dealing with. A 10k ground is all we need, 12k at a push, 4k seats, but it's more about good changing facilities. We can do that at WR,

The club's who rent grounds must have a long lease and be able to play when required, not this ridiculous "we can't play at home for 6 weeks, so well just play away",. No you play on the dates or forfeit like teams have to do when they can't raise a side, they can't raise a ground.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 02 Aug 2021, 13:24

Dump Sky in favour of another media company or just have no media coverage?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Aug 2021, 13:30

They aren’t wrong. The game is boring to watch most of the time. Even close games are usually pretty dull.
I think the main issue is the ruck. Sky have been showing ‘retro’ games after games this season and the difference is massive in terms of how quickly the ball is back in play and consequently the space for the team with the ball to play. The introduction of wrestling and manipulating the ball-carrier has just gone so far now that it has significantly slowed the game down and we spend far too long not playing RL.
It’s got to the point this year where we have the ridiculous situation at almost every tackle that the ball-carrier is slowing the play down to try and get a penalty/6 again by trapping the defender and the defender is trying to slow the game down as much as possible without conceding a penalty. It’s awful to watch.
We’ll get nowhere when the main aim of both teams is to slow the game down as much as possible. One solution might be to introduce a limit of two defenders in the tackle, especially once momentum has stopped. We see an awful lot of tackles where the third man is only involved once the player is already falling or on the ground, and the only reason is to slow the game down.
Another option might be to introduce the rule that players cannot be involved in consecutive tackles outside their own 20, so it’s a disadvantage to commit 3 to the tackle, therefore speeding up the game.