Catalan game

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Catalan game

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Jul 2021, 14:35

Castleford's Super League clash with Catalans Dragons could be postponed due to positive Covid-19 cases in the Tigers camp.

Three of the club's on-field staff have recorded positive tests and as a result, all 21 players who travelled on the coach to Wembley for the Challenge Cup Final, as well as the coaching staff, have been told to isolate until further notice. Further testing is set to take place tomorrow and track and trace analysed to see who must stand down.

There are fears that Super League's schedule is set to be decimated during the next month as government restrictions are relaxed. Rugby league will continue with its current procedures but with cases rising in society, there's an inevitability that more cases will emerge within the sport.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Catalan game

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Jul 2021, 15:57

Or is it a case of a few not wanting another game in the hot sun in such a short space of time.

Oni kidding but I do hope testing will clear enough to make a game.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 19 Jul 2021, 16:06

Id just call the season now.

Someone is always going have Covid now we are back to no restrictions.

Need to stop these silly weekly tests or we will never complete another season.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Jul 2021, 18:25

i can not think any of our players would be looking forward to trip to France after the heat of Saturday followed by another roaster keep our powder dry two very winable games to follow

LeeThorpe898
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeeThorpe898 » 19 Jul 2021, 20:08

Yeah it's very strange as football had no games called off during the season or in the euros. But we have quite a few call offs in rugby league so not if they have different protocols or we've just been unlucky with it.

Let’s talk sense
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Let’s talk sense » 19 Jul 2021, 20:33

gateman wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 18:25 i can not think any of our players would be looking forward to trip to France after the heat of Saturday followed by another roaster keep our powder dry two very winable games to follow

Understand where you are coming from but there is a word known as ‘Integrity’. If we cannot genuinely field a squad then fair enough. But the whole integrity of the league is in danger of being compromised from various quarters. I honestly feel that some businesses be it sport or other organisations have manipulated the Covid era to suit. Take Wembley for example. All four clubs just managed to scrape squads together to ensure that the BIG day went ahead. All concerned including the RFL need to up their game. Covid ain’t going away.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 19 Jul 2021, 22:21

LeeThorpe898 wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 20:08 Yeah it's very strange as football had no games called off during the season or in the euros. But we have quite a few call offs in rugby league so not if they have different protocols or we've just been unlucky with it.
Aston Villa played Liverpool in the cup with a mix of the 18s and 23s because of COVID but other then that, Football having much larger squads and way better bubbles & compliance officers kept the show on the road.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jul 2021, 22:32

TheSheriff wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 22:21
LeeThorpe898 wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 20:08 Yeah it's very strange as football had no games called off during the season or in the euros. But we have quite a few call offs in rugby league so not if they have different protocols or we've just been unlucky with it.
Aston Villa played Liverpool in the cup with a mix of the 18s and 23s because of COVID but other then that, Football having much larger squads and way better bubbles & compliance officers kept the show on the road.
During the football season, very few RL games were affected, but cases are rising rapidly lately, and thing have relaxed. I suspect that if club football was in season, we would see similar problems.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 19 Jul 2021, 22:53

Wasn’t there a statement last week that clubs
would be punished more harshly unless more efforts were made to fulfil fixtures due to some rather convenient postponements recently. We’ll need to make every effort to play this game.

TigerCol

Post by TigerCol » 19 Jul 2021, 23:18

If it did go ahead would the players not have to isolate on their return in line with the new rules for returning from France?

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 20 Jul 2021, 00:30

TigerCol wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 23:18 If it did go ahead would the players not have to isolate on their return in line with the new rules for returning from France?
Surely not or they'd have to postpone the next fixture just to play this one. Maybe with the regular testing and such they might be exempt

Stokesey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Stokesey » 20 Jul 2021, 07:17

TigerCol wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 23:18 If it did go ahead would the players not have to isolate on their return in line with the new rules for returning from France?
I was thinking the same, with France now under the new Amber+ category

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 20 Jul 2021, 08:16

Stokesey wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 07:17
I was thinking the same, with France now under the new Amber+ category
Elite sports, such as Superleague don't have to, any supporters going definitely would though.
Danny Boy

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 20 Jul 2021, 08:29

One point to note, is that even if the game does go ahead, it won't be on Sky (I'm sure they said all Catalans home games would be on Sky earlier in the year!!!) very disappointing with none of us able to travel to France to watch the game! If it had it been a couple of weeks ago, the game would have been available to season ticket holders on OurLeague, but sadly OurLeague not covering Superleague games any more.
Danny Boy

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jul 2021, 08:44

Why are Sky only showing one match this week is there a match online or something
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

LeeThorpe898
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeeThorpe898 » 20 Jul 2021, 08:50

The Firm wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 22:53 Wasn’t there a statement last week that clubs
would be punished more harshly unless more efforts were made to fulfil fixtures due to some rather convenient postponements recently. We’ll need to make every effort to play this game.
Yeah good point and i believe they issued that statement after we had two games postponed. So if we do end up not playing the catalan match i wouldn't be surprised if we got a point deduction knowing the rfl.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 20 Jul 2021, 09:24

LeeThorpe898 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 08:50
The Firm wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 22:53 Wasn’t there a statement last week that clubs
Yeah good point and i believe they issued that statement after we had two games postponed. So if we do end up not playing the catalan match i wouldn't be surprised if we got a point deduction knowing the rfl.
Deduct as many points as they want given the season is based on win percentage and not points…

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2021, 09:51

On the tv coverage according to league express Catalans are in discussions with their broadcasters. They pay for their own tv coverage and it ran out after the Leeds clash. It’s possible but unlikely they will have anything in place for the Cas and Wakey ties. Their President is hoping to have something in place for three or four matches in Perpignan by the end of the season.
I don’t understand the TV arrangements with Sky but it strikes me as strange if Catalans get the same cut from Sky as the rest of the Superleague teams other than underfunded Leigh but Sky Sports subscribers are short changed on coverage. It would only happen in Rugby League!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Jul 2021, 10:24

Surely you can’t be blamed if it’s down to Covid.
Deducting points when it’s out of your control seems a bit no a lot unfair.

tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tykeneil » 20 Jul 2021, 10:45

We should put our best team out again and start to get some wins to salvage something (if only pride) from this season. Pity there will be no coverage of the game though