Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Router1977
Academy Player
Academy Player

Powell

Post by Router1977 » 18 Jul 2021, 10:08

Does this guy ever have any good luck in finals.......always the bridesmaid and never the bride.
Powell in his tenure as turned this club around from regular relegation fodder to contenders for Silverware.
However, the failure to win a major final after 3 attempts must now be more than just a worry in going forward for Powell's next adventure. Obviously I wish him well and every success but I bet a few more Wire fans will have more doubts that he can actual break his duck and bring silverware for them in the next 3 years or so.
Dont get me wrong about his coaching ability but something as to give down the line but it doesn't look like ending the hoodoo any time some in my opinion and the pressure will ultimately increase now he is going to a big club.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Powell

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Jul 2021, 10:52

I don’t wish him success at all.
This is sport, and if he wins a trophy, it means Cas haven’t won it.
I’m only interested in one thing and that’s Cas winning.
When Powell leaves, he just becomes another coach of a team I want us to beat.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a Warrington v Cas final next year, though.

Router1977
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Router1977 » 18 Jul 2021, 11:04

Looking at it that way you are correct. Cas club always trumps past coaches good or bad.
You never know but I wonder what the likelihood is that Powell will not see out his 3 years and get sacked if results go against him. Wire are a club that want instant success and if that doesn't happen he will be under fire from the get go.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Jul 2021, 11:14

Router1977 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:04 Looking at it that way you are correct. Cas club always trumps past coaches good or bad.
You never know but I wonder what the likelihood is that Powell will not see out his 3 years and get sacked if results go against him. Wire are a club that want instant success and if that doesn't happen he will be under fire from the get go.
The signing of George Williams shows why he’s chosen to go there.
He’s going at a good time I think. Saints aren’t going to be as strong next year without Coote and Fages (and possibly Roby too).
Wigan losing Hastings and Gildart.
NRL players not keen on coming to the UK with everything around Covid makes signing top Aussie players difficult.
But I think you can be pretty sure that if he doesn’t win a trophy in the first couple of years, he’ll be out. They aren’t content with just making it to finals,

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 18 Jul 2021, 15:24

nottinghamtiger wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:14
Router1977 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:04 Looking at it that way you are correct. Cas club always trumps past coaches good or bad.
The signing of George Williams shows why he’s chosen to go there.
He’s going at a good time I think. Saints aren’t going to be as strong next year without Coote and Fages (and possibly Roby too).
Wigan losing Hastings and Gildart.
NRL players not keen on coming to the UK with everything around Covid makes signing top Aussie players difficult.
But I think you can be pretty sure that if he doesn’t win a trophy in the first couple of years, he’ll be out. They aren’t content with just making it to finals,
Be surprised if DP didn't do his 3 full seasons Wire like success but aren't a club who sack coaches very often.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Jul 2021, 15:39

One of our greatest ever coaches. He'll go with thanks and immense pride in what he has delivered but agree, he becomes a rival coach next year and i couldn't give a fig how he gets on.

Regarding why he isn't successful. Some of it could be luck. It could be argued the budget and salary cap flexibility and exemptions play a part too. The thing for me that I'd be evaluating is recruitment strategy.

His forwards seem to get beaten up too often and the only time we have dominated is when our main props have been fit and in their prime (Lynch and Millo/ Watts and Millo). Beyond that we have never had anything else. I think if he tweaks it slightly to recruit some bigger bench players and possibly bigger outside backs, he wins something.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 18 Jul 2021, 15:51

Might be his last ever game for us if rumours are true

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 18 Jul 2021, 16:26

Tigersbarmy wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 15:51 Might be his last ever game for us if rumours are true
What rumours ?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Jul 2021, 16:28

Tigersbarmy wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 15:51 Might be his last ever game for us if rumours are true
…and what rumours are that.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 18 Jul 2021, 16:30

Who has started this rumour (s)?

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 18 Jul 2021, 21:39

Love the bloke for what he has done at my club. Always a legend.
However he will get the stick they all get as opposition when he returns with someone else's badge on his chest.
Once he leaves the game though absolute respect to the man. Shame he didn't have enough to get us over the line i

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 18 Jul 2021, 22:16

I say it again, Warrington are not a big club. They’re like us, trying to close the gap to the real big clubs. It’s just that they have more money and a very clever accountant!

Before DP came finals were just a dream but he got us to a point where we were challengers. Hopefully Lee Radford can build on that[instagram][/instagram]

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 19 Jul 2021, 08:02

Powell as a good chance to win a grand final next year.
Wigan and Saints losing good players.
Think it will be between them and Leeds
With Cas Hull Wigan and Saints around the Top 6

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Jul 2021, 11:47

There has to be a reason why his teams don't win finals..?

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Jul 2021, 12:33

FIat Capper wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:47 There has to be a reason why his teams don't win finals..?
Because the other team scores more points???