Powell’s awful tatics in second half!

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Powell’s awful tatics in second half!

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Jul 2021, 12:12

Spanishtiger wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:56 Yes welcome back Notts
Discussion seems to be (a bit more)sensible after a big game.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Powell’s awful tatics in second half!

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 18 Jul 2021, 12:47

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:49
nottinghamtiger wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:27 I might be in a minority, but I was really disappointed with our second half performance.
Too many basic errors, too many stupid penalties and some woeful decision-making. I don’t think we completed a set in St Helens’ 40 all half. We managed to blow repeat sets in their 40 with ridiculous unnecessary passes on the 1st tackle, giving the ball to our winger on the 2nd when there was nowhere to go but over the touchline and just not bothering to play the ball properly. Compare that the Saint’s second half performance and you can see why we didn’t score a point and they scored enough to comfortably overcome a half-time deficit.

You can complain about refereeing decisions all day, but the fact was that Saints got the the end of a good set, put in a good kick and didn’t switch off when the ball bounced. There’s also no point moaning about whether a player has grounded the ball over the line or not when there were 3 defenders who should have made the decision unnecessary by actually stopping him from getting over the line. We never looked like scoring, never mind making the referees have to make a decision.

What’s we had the best player on the pitch in Evalds, I don’t think anyone else was anywhere near the Lance Todd Trophy. I though JSL played well, but working through the team I can’t think of anyone else who had a particularly good game.

I’m not going to criticise the preparation. We named a full-strength team for the Huddersfield game that was cancelled by Huddersfield. That game might have made a massive difference, but we’ll never know. All we know is what happened at Wembley, and that was a poor second half performance.

Moving forwards, season ticket holders have been served up some dross so far in pursuit of the cup dream. It’s time to repay that with some entertaining rugby, because so far we’ve seen mostly games sacrificed and players sat in the stands rather than on the pitch.

Next season we’ve got to get some good recruitment done. I think the signs are positive for that with the new players signed so far and the deals for Evalds and McShane. And whilst I wasn’t keen on Radford as our next coach, let’s hope he can prove that winning the cup with Hull twice wasn’t a fluke and we can go back next year and be celebrating at the end, rather than walking away from another final reflecting on another loss.
Great post. Agree with most of that.
Good so see you back.
Mostly agree. Was a disappointing second half but we had little left in the tank beyond 50 mins. That is absolutely down to the build up over the last month in players not playing.
Saints maintained intensity and were afforded calls at just the right time. We could not get a foothold in the game because of both those factors and also as neither GOB or Trueman got in the game properly- it's not how they play. I think Trueman was not fully fit tbh, still carrying the back injury. Maybe GOB too. Such a shame.