End Of The Academy

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

End Of The Academy

Post by Mucky1978 » 21 May 2021, 11:10

Not good for the club.
For me setting us up to be kicked out when license comes back.
https://castlefordtigers.com/article.php?id=7427

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: End Of The Academy

Post by MrRugby123 » 21 May 2021, 11:13

The RFL is bent

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 21 May 2021, 11:15

MrRugby123 wrote: 21 May 2021, 11:13 The RFL is bent
Yep killing the game.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 21 May 2021, 11:18

But still wakefield have.
Looking to the big city dwellers for when full licensing comes in for SL clubs.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 21 May 2021, 11:26

In 3 years I don't think we will be in super league.
Cas Salford and Hull Kr will be replaced by Newcastle Toulouse and one other.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2021, 11:36

Reading the club’s statement saying that things have been disregarded they ought to look at getting some advice on making a legal challenge

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 21 May 2021, 11:37

How in the hell can they justify that... Cas have given the game some of its best players that's come through the academy. Its blatantly obvious they want us out of the game and one way or another they're going to try chip away at us.... Pathetic.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 21 May 2021, 11:47

It really doesn't come as a surprise.

A significant reduction in spending on the entire academy set up in the preceding years, allied to the complete disinterest shown by the powers that be at the club has made this outcome inevitable.

We are blessed to be in area that is renowned for being a hot bed of rugby league, which has produced many outstanding players. We are lucky to have a strong grassroots system at both amateur and school level.

It's criminal that we don't capitilise on such strengths.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 21 May 2021, 11:48

I’ve got to stage we might be better off away from SL and play games in the championship.
I enjoyed the championship back in the day.
It’s now looking obvious they want us out.
This is just the start.
The whole game is going to pot.

By the way, have we had an explanation why.
I would like to hear one.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 21 May 2021, 11:49

There has been a chronic underinvestment in academy facilities and staff for a number of years now.
Reap what you sow....

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 21 May 2021, 11:50

old cas lass wrote: 21 May 2021, 11:48 I’ve got to stage we might be better off away from SL and play games in the championship.
I enjoyed the championship back in the day.
It’s now looking obvious they want us out.
This is just the start.
The whole game is going to pot.

By the way, have we had an explanation why.
I would like to hear one.
"The early feedback given as to the reasons that Castleford Tigers has not been awarded an Elite Academy Licence is due to a large number of clubs in a small geographical location, and that since 2014 the Club has been bottom of the league for producing First Team players"
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 21 May 2021, 11:52

The RFL just want teams from London Coventry and London.
But at the end of the day people in these places prefer Rugby Union and always will.
The good kids will go union.
Let them kick us Hull Kr etc out.
When they is 400 fans at these other places every week they will soon want us back.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2021, 12:00

On reflection it may be that others will have to follow suit going forward anyway. According to McManus yesterday all clubs are now carrying significant debt.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 21 May 2021, 12:07

Suppose Powell as not helped he would rather bring in a championship player on loan then give the kids a chance.

Also we pay peanuts so best ones leave anyway.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 21 May 2021, 12:11

I’m absolutely gutted at this news. However, one of the biggest issues with DP has been his total disregard for young players since he came in. I know it’s been said many times ‘how many have gone on to play SL etc....’ but hardly any have been given a chance. Notts has said ‘you reap what you sow’ and he’s right - our academy has been an after thought for a while now and this is the price we’ve paid. It’s ok blaming the RFL, I’m no lover of them and think they aren’t fit for purpose, but on this occasion the facts are there - when was the last time we brought a player through?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 May 2021, 12:28

nottinghamtiger wrote: 21 May 2021, 11:49 There has been a chronic underinvestment in academy facilities and staff for a number of years now.
Reap what you sow....
The club as invested millions in the youth system it says on the club website ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 21 May 2021, 12:35

derbystiger wrote: 21 May 2021, 12:11 I’m absolutely gutted at this news. However, one of the biggest issues with DP has been his total disregard for young players since he came in. I know it’s been said many times ‘how many have gone on to play SL etc....’ but hardly any have been given a chance. Notts has said ‘you reap what you sow’ and he’s right - our academy has been an after thought for a while now and this is the price we’ve paid. It’s ok blaming the RFL, I’m no lover of them and think they aren’t fit for purpose, but on this occasion the facts are there - when was the last time we brought a player through?
Brad Martin two weeks ago.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 21 May 2021, 12:43

HuddsTigers wrote: 21 May 2021, 12:35
derbystiger wrote: 21 May 2021, 12:11 I’m absolutely gutted at this news. However, one of the biggest issues with DP has been his total disregard for young players since he came in. I know it’s been said many times ‘how many have gone on to play SL etc....’ but hardly any have been given a chance. Notts has said ‘you reap what you sow’ and he’s right - our academy has been an after thought for a while now and this is the price we’ve paid. It’s ok blaming the RFL, I’m no lover of them and think they aren’t fit for purpose, but on this occasion the facts are there - when was the last time we brought a player through?
Brad Martin two weeks ago.
Not bad that in 7 years

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Morrissey » 21 May 2021, 12:46

I think it's a double edged sword and in some ways we've been victims of our own relative "success" - if you want to call it that.

The irony is in the years we struggled and Terry Matterson was regularly playing youngsters like Arundel, Shenton, Westerman, Owen, etc who came through, we always had them poached or had to offer big deals to stave off interest from bigger clubs.

It comes as no coincidence we made the Challenge Cup Final and were one win away from topping the league. Two years later, we had our best team in a generation and could have won the Grand Final.

We managed to attract great players to the club and built a successful team around established players, so for a few of these seasons we had no need to blood the youth and we were attracting a better calibre of experienced player to the club.

But, we then did have several years of crazy injury crisis's where we brought in loan players or short term deals like Danny Tickle etc to help out. In hindsight, had we played some of the younger guys, we may have got this licence.

Were they ready to play? I don't know. I'd like to think Daryl Powell knows more than me. There were a lot of times a square peg went into a round hole, such as the fullbacks we tried instead of Bailey Hodgson. But again, I don't know enough about whether or not they were first team ready.

What I do know is that we've not got the best facilities, and I'm really not surprised any longer by the RFL decision on this. We all know what is coming - Super League franchising is being whispered about again, and what will be the essential criteria? That's right, an Elite Academy. Obviously that will leave us in a difficult position and I do fear that the powers that be are going to throw everything at a "trimmed down" Super League.

I genuinely fear for us and the future of our game. The RFL's decision to ban Liam Watts just reinforced by belief it is a broken, borderline corrupt organisation, and even though Cas could have/should have invested more cash into the youth, I think this decision helps nobody (except Leeds and other clubs who will benefit). We need as many people playing the game as possible, and after the reserves/dual registration fiasco I hoped something would come to change - and then this.

Any organisation that has had it's own league break away and considers free pizza and lorries a better alternative to cash payment can't be trusted to make valuable decisions.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 21 May 2021, 13:03

On the face of it, it certainly seems to be a pointer to the way forward and this is the problem I have with the RFL and i's expansion ethos. I simply do not believe you're expanding the game if you're replacing teams with other teams. The sport remains the same size, just geographically further apart.

I believe this is a prime example of where the RFL should be supporting the 'traditional' Clubs, helping an encouraging them to grow and develop the youngsters from their town.

To the RFL, you are a disgrace, turning you back on those that have put your where you are.