Salford in the Cup - Same again?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Salford in the Cup - Same again?

Post by Swagger » 09 May 2021, 08:12

Powell is all Cas at the moment when it comes to results.

Powell would be happier if Wire fall to 10th in the league and get knocked out of the cup by us as it will then show massive improvement when he takes over next year.

We will be all out to beat Wire June 5th. However we need to improve massively as on yesterday's performance we will get beat.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 09 May 2021, 08:18

Swagger hits the nail on the head above. DP will not want Wire anywhere near silverware this year & I'm sure will view the semi very much as a personal challenge as well as one for the squad.

I think DP will be very emotional when he leaves. I'm sure part of him does not want to go to pastures new.

He looked very fired up when the DG went over. He will be desperate to end his tenure with as much credibility as possible - hopefully, with a trophy.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 May 2021, 09:00

Hull impressed me Hodgson doing a great job there I think they will beat saints we will beat Warrington
Cas to beat Hull in final
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 09 May 2021, 09:05

How Cas have played in the last 2 CC games isn't good enough to beat Warrington never mind Saints or Hull FC. Hopefully will have some players back from injury by the semis though.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 May 2021, 09:12

westerbeast73 wrote: 09 May 2021, 09:05 How Cas have played in the last 2 CC games isn't good enough to beat Warrington never mind Saints or Hull FC. Hopefully will have some players back from injury by the semis though.
I agree we just arnt firing on all cylinders at the moment.
Something lacking.
Our attack isn’t fluent enough.
I’m sure it will come with the drier weather, I hope.
But winning ugly is also good.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 May 2021, 09:14

I disagree Salford played well it was a tough cup game in wet conditions yes we can play better and will have to but it was a good win for me ... how people expect the half-backs to be throwing the ball around and playing fast ground rugby in a game like yesterday surprises me
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 May 2021, 09:22

westerbeast73 wrote: 09 May 2021, 09:05 How Cas have played in the last 2 CC games isn't good enough to beat Warrington never mind Saints or Hull FC. Hopefully will have some players back from injury by the semis though.
But we haven’t needed to beat Warrington or Saints so your argument is pretty much flawed. You can only beat the team in front of you and hypothesising like you have done is just opinion, rather than fact

covid tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by covid tiger » 09 May 2021, 09:22

Yesterday game could of been our last behind closed doors..... There is a thought to look forward too.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 09 May 2021, 10:03

tigerfeat wrote: 09 May 2021, 09:14 I disagree Salford played well it was a tough cup game in wet conditions yes we can play better and will have to but it was a good win for me ... how people expect the half-backs to be throwing the ball around and playing fast ground rugby in a game like yesterday surprises me
That was not a good win, it was a win by the scruff of the neck. You cant throw the ball around in wet conditions yes but your kicks behind them near their line need to find space not bounce off their players. When your dominant in attack for the 1st 20 mins you should be getting points on the board we got 0. We did well to defend like we did with 11 men but that was not a convincing win by any means. If we want to win the cup we need to improve a lot. We are better on a dry track yes, but so are Warrington, Saints and Hull fc.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 May 2021, 11:20

Any win is a good win, isn’t it?

I rather play bad and win than play well and lose.

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 09 May 2021, 11:27

We have not bad recored against Warrington simalar team to us. Be all on day one off game let's hope we can lose that choking in big games tag. Need half backs to dominate the game kicking and attacking . Don't think the forwards will Let us down Warrington pack is not as massive as saints and Hull.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 09 May 2021, 11:30

westerbeast73 wrote: 09 May 2021, 10:03
tigerfeat wrote: 09 May 2021, 09:14 I disagree Salford played well it was a tough cup game in wet conditions yes we can play better and will have to but it was a good win for me ... how people expect the half-backs to be throwing the ball around and playing fast ground rugby in a game like yesterday surprises me
That was not a good win, it was a win by the scruff of the neck. You cant throw the ball around in wet conditions yes but your kicks behind them near their line need to find space not bounce off their players. When your dominant in attack for the 1st 20 mins you should be getting points on the board we got 0. We did well to defend like we did with 11 men but that was not a convincing win by any means. If we want to win the cup we need to improve a lot. We are better on a dry track yes, but so are Warrington, Saints and Hull fc.
You are spot on Tigerfeat. Good win in those conditions.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 May 2021, 11:57

on side wrote: 09 May 2021, 11:27 We have not bad recored against Warrington simalar team to us. Be all on day one off game let's hope we can lose that choking in big games tag. Need half backs to dominate the game kicking and attacking . Don't think the forwards will Let us down Warrington pack is not as massive as saints and Hull.
Widdop is in fine form at the minute.
We need our half backs to really show up.
I agree with the forwards, though losing Millington is gonna be a big blow.
It’ll be all on the day....who wants it the most.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 09 May 2021, 12:28

The main difference is Wire can defend for 80 mins where we clock off for patches and when both sides are really up for it, especially when you're trying to impress your future chief there will only be one winner, unfortunately.
Can see anything but another Wire and Saints final.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 09 May 2021, 12:34

Sharlotiger wrote: 09 May 2021, 12:28 The main difference is Wire can defend for 80 mins where we clock off for patches and when both sides are really up for it, especially when you're trying to impress your future chief there will only be one winner, unfortunately.
Cas vs Hull for me.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 09 May 2021, 13:04

Well here's my ten pennerth on yesterday's game !! :-

TrueMan went Missing in Action again in attack ! Apart from his defense he did not show anything which worries me as I hope he is not living on his star rating just now to see him through ! He's good on his day with sparks of Class but he needs to roll his sleeves up and get into "McShane" mode quickly or we are gonna be stuffed !!

Richardson was also ineffective.

McShane has come to his best now and showing some great form and was outstanding !

The performance was gritty but attack was very one dimensional and hope the "Trueman Show" can spark into life as it was all on McShane in attack to get us through yesterday. I would play TrueMan with O'Brian as first choice combination as O'Brian was much better than Richardson when he came on.

I also haven't seen Watts as effective and not as strong running this season for some reason and hope he is not carrying a niggly injury which he may be nursing through ! Let's see for later games !

Form Team for me just now is Hull - Their forwards are great and any team will not be wanting to face them up just now.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 09 May 2021, 13:21

CasRus wrote: 09 May 2021, 13:04 Well here's my ten pennerth on yesterday's game !! :-

TrueMan went Missing in Action again in attack ! Apart from his defense he did not show anything which worries me as I hope he is not living on his star rating just now to see him through ! He's good on his day with sparks of Class but he needs to roll his sleeves up and get into "McShane" mode quickly or we are gonna be stuffed !!

Richardson was also ineffective.

McShane has come to his best now and showing some great form and was outstanding !

The performance was gritty but attack was very one dimensional and hope the "Trueman Show" can spark into life as it was all on McShane in attack to get us through yesterday. I would play TrueMan with O'Brian as first choice combination as O'Brian was much better than Richardson when he came on.

I also haven't seen Watts as effective and not as strong running this season for some reason and hope he is not carrying a niggly injury which he may be nursing through ! Let's see for later games !

Form Team for me just now is Hull - Their forwards are great and any team will not be wanting to face them up just now.
Watts was our best forward yesterday along side Smith, he’s been immense for the past two week. I think he’s starting to get back to his best.

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 09 May 2021, 13:49

old cas lass wrote: 09 May 2021, 11:57
on side wrote: 09 May 2021, 11:27 We have not bad recored against Warrington simalar team to us. Be all on day one off game let's hope we can lose that choking in big games tag. Need half backs to dominate the game kicking and attacking . Don't think the forwards will Let us down Warrington pack is not as massive as saints and Hull.
Widdop is in fine form at the minute.
We need our half backs to really show up.
I agree with the forwards, though losing Millington is gonna be a big blow.
It’ll be all on the day....who wants it the most.
That's what worrys me if maca gets injured for long period nobody else who should be is taken on the line we now are half backs have got talent the question why are they not showing up in games, think this effecting Evalds form too who's looking shadow off played he was last year at Salford. Ten minutes we were on Salford line start off game looked clueless ow to get over the line with kicks far too deep no link play at all.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 09 May 2021, 17:39

Sharlotiger wrote: 09 May 2021, 12:28 The main difference is Wire can defend for 80 mins where we clock off for patches and when both sides are really up for it, especially when you're trying to impress your future chief there will only be one winner, unfortunately.
I agree that there will only be one winner. Toss up whether it will be Wire or Cas

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 09 May 2021, 18:01

The way we have played in the last 2 CC matches we shouldn't still be in the comp. However we are, maybe our name is on the cup but being a Cas fan for over 30 Years I cant believe it till I see it.