Radford

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Classysupercas6202
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Radford

Post by Classysupercas6202 » 28 Apr 2021, 17:18

Paul cook says some good things about lee radford in that he is thourgh in his job and puts 100% in to the club.also very knowledgeable about different countrys rugby league players. Could be a little gem we just hired

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 28 Apr 2021, 21:00

The more I think about it the more I’m just thinking get him in now and let Powell and Co go to Warrington now - why put it off?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Apr 2021, 21:21

derbystiger wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 21:00 The more I think about it the more I’m just thinking get him in now and let Powell and Co go to Warrington now - why put it off?
Maybe because Steve price is still coach.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 28 Apr 2021, 21:38

old cas lass wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 21:21
derbystiger wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 21:00 The more I think about it the more I’m just thinking get him in now and let Powell and Co go to Warrington now - why put it off?
Maybe because Steve price is still coach.
DP was under contract with us but didn’t stop a move being engineered.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 28 Apr 2021, 21:40

This is a post from a Warrington fan on their board - sort of makes you think a bit

‘So say Radford tries to talk to Trueman about staying at Castleford but the Castleford boss has already talked to him about going to Warrington. Radford who isn't Castleford's coach has to deal with Castleford's coach trying to get one of Castleford's players to leave Castleford. Meanwhile, Warrington's coach doesn't care who plays for Warrington next year but has to deal with players whose futures are being decided by the Castleford coach.

Madness‘

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 28 Apr 2021, 21:55

They say madness but I think it could also work in reverse.

Warrington have a strong squad so don't really need to recruit. Those OOC for them are not playing for their future under Powell, just as our players are for Radford.

Looks like they have a sizeable number off contract like us but I'm not sure of the players have signed new deals in last few months since the article I'm reading was written.

Either way, people like Austin are playing for an NRL deal still.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 28 Apr 2021, 22:06

Can’t say I feel overly positive for next year just now what with all this mess and OOC players. It will take some sorting out and when will the people involved be allowed to do their job for next season?

For me personally once DP decided to go, I would still like to know what made him decide to go, then he should have gone. Sentiment says one more season like a boxer says one more fight only to end in disappointment.

Bit of a mess but this is Castleford Tigers we are talking about.

What would be anyone’s thoughts if we and Wire both go out of the cup next week or in the semis? Would either of both club make decisions to change early and prepare for next year?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Apr 2021, 22:15

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 22:06 Can’t say I feel overly positive for next year just now what with all this mess and OOC players. It will take some sorting out and when will the people involved be allowed to do their job for next season?

For me personally once DP decided to go, I would still like to know what made him decide to go, then he should have gone. Sentiment says one more season like a boxer says one more fight only to end in disappointment.

Bit of a mess but this is Castleford Tigers we are talking about.

What would be anyone’s thoughts if we and Wire both go out of the cup next week or in the semis? Would either of both club make decisions to change early and prepare for next year?
I’m not sure.
I get the feeling that Powell is very motivated to win something at Cas this year, and the players are motivated to win something for him. It might just give us that extra edge that we haven’t had before.
I certainly think we have a better squad that Warrington this year.
However, I’m uncomfortable that or head coach is actively working to make a rival team stronger than us in 2022 and the unusual situation that brings in terms of retention. I think I’m less concerned now we have a coach appointed for 2022 as he can lead on retention and recruitment.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 28 Apr 2021, 22:26

Some fair points but some of our players know DP and he knows them. If an offer to go with him is there there is a good chance they could go.

New coach, new players, new ideas or move to a bigger and better club all round with the potential to win things? A new coach will need and take time to get things in place as will DP at Wire but they know each very well.

Interesting season to unfold yet.

Motivation to an something is all good and well but what happens to that if we are out of the cup and struggling for play offs? How long can motivation keep everyone going?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Apr 2021, 22:49

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 22:26 Some fair points but some of our players know DP and he knows them. If an offer to go with him is there there is a good chance they could go.

New coach, new players, new ideas or move to a bigger and better club all round with the potential to win things? A new coach will need and take time to get things in place as will DP at Wire but they know each very well.

Motivation to an something is all good and well but what happens to that if we are out of the cup and struggling for play offs? How long can motivation keep everyone going?
Agreed. We have to be in with a shout of winning a trophy.
But the way the play-off system works, we only need to finish 6th to have a tilt at Old Trafford

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 28 Apr 2021, 23:28

nottinghamtiger wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 22:49
Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 22:26 Some fair points but some of our players know DP and he knows them. If an offer to go with him is there there is a good chance they could go.

Agreed. We have to be in with a shout of winning a trophy.
But the way the play-off system works, we only need to finish 6th to have a tilt at Old Trafford
I think the outcome of the next 7 games will determine what happens with the coaches at both clubs and also give clear indication of our chances of a trophy.

In the cup - if we beat Salford, the semi is the first weekend in June.

In the league - we face Salford, HKR, Wire, Leeds & Hull.

For me, that looks like we need to win at least 5 of those 7 to keep DP interested. Anything less, including a cup exit, and the writing starts to be written on the wall.

Wire in a very similar situation.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 28 Apr 2021, 23:35

Only just noticed that our last game of the regular season is at home versus......... Wire

Could be interesting.....

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 29 Apr 2021, 10:41

Andy Last coming in as Radford's assistant for next year,

Classysupercas6202
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classysupercas6202 » 29 Apr 2021, 11:14

That's what I heard

KnockerNorton

Post by KnockerNorton » 29 Apr 2021, 16:32

As a Hull fan I like Lee Radford and he is an excellent coach. What really did for him at Hull were the cliques that that his squad had developed, it was often referred to as "Club Hull" and was centred around local Hull born players, who could seemingly, do no wrong in the eyes of the coaching staff , this developed and rifts began to appear in the squad, with some players obviously not 100%. committed Away from the intense scrutiny of Hull, I think he will do very well for you. He has an eye for a signing too, Connor, Tuimevave, Fonua and Sevellio being prime examples of this. He also develops and does promote the young players, something that Cas were always famed for. All in all, he could be just what you need to take the next step forward. He'll want Shaul and maybe the forwards who are off contract and about whom he knows all details , like Ligi Sao and Chris Satae, both of whom are yet to renew their deals at Hull- who knows?

KnockerNorton

Post by KnockerNorton » 29 Apr 2021, 16:57

There’s been a photo put on Instagram of radford and watts laughing together.
The sceptic in me says it looked staged.
But that’s me.

Sorry I have not yet mastered the ways of forum replies. In truth what I was told ,reliably, Watts left after a festering row with Scott Taylor developed that began during Hull's preseason tour of Australia. The tension and bitterness allegedly developed to such a point where one had to go, I believe Lee Radford was less than impressed with some of Watts' father's antics and so he chose to keep Taylor- a Hull born , good prop whom the fans adored, Watts was made available and the rest you know, although there was an element of bad blood between Watts and Radford as came out in Radford's public comments on the matter. Either way, we at Hull lost one third of a formidable front row and the best ball playing prop we'd had since Lee Crooks

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 29 Apr 2021, 17:10

KnockerNorton wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:57 There’s been a photo put on Instagram of radford and watts laughing together.
The sceptic in me says it looked staged.
But that’s me.

Sorry I have not yet mastered the ways of forum replies. In truth what I was told ,reliably, Watts left after a festering row with Scott Taylor developed that began during Hull's preseason tour of Australia. The tension and bitterness allegedly developed to such a point where one had to go, I believe Lee Radford was less than impressed with some of Watts' father's antics and so he chose to keep Taylor- a Hull born , good prop whom the fans adored, Watts was made available and the rest you know, although there was an element of bad blood between Watts and Radford as came out in Radford's public comments on the matter. Either way, we at Hull lost one third of a formidable front row and the best ball playing prop we'd had since Lee Crooks
Thought the same about it being staged, but that’s the cynic in me.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 02 May 2021, 12:01

we should welcome Radford the lad as big boots to fill, DP he is going to a club that expects him to make them top dog anything less he will be seen as a failure , somehow i can not see Wigan and St Helens letting this happen will he get the hero worship he as recieded at CAS i think not

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 02 May 2021, 12:16

Warrington will expect results now!! And I think the dressing room will be more full of prima Donna's that at Cas that may take more influencing. Cas played the way he wanted to his structure not so easy with a team full of players who may think they run the team. At Cas the whole was greater than the sum of its parts but at warrington I feel it may be different.

barking
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by barking » 02 May 2021, 12:31

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:16 Warrington will expect results now!! And I think the dressing room will be more full of prima Donna's that at Cas that may take more influencing. Cas played the way he wanted to his structure not so easy with a team full of players who may think they run the team. At Cas the whole was greater than the sum of its parts but at warrington I feel it may be different.
Yep 100% right, DP will find it harder coaching Egos rather than players willing to listen and learn