Next Coach....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Next Coach....

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Apr 2021, 10:22

No mate I've said before on here he wouldn't have been my choice but to be fair to the bloke it's harsh to call him a failed coach wining too challenge cups maybe he will do better at Cas
I'm just looking at reasons to be cheerful for next season if he's announced as the new coach I think
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 10:28

tigerfeat wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:22 No mate I've said before on here he wouldn't have been my choice but to be fair to the bloke it's harsh to call him a failed coach wining too challenge cups maybe he will do better at Cas
I'm just looking at reasons to be cheerful for next season if he's announced as the new coach I think
I guess it depends on your perspective of cup success.
Personally, I don't see winning the cup as a sign of a top coach; you only need to win the right few games (and get a favourable draw) to win it.
With a squad spending the full salary-cap plus marquee players, Radford failed to deliver what he should have done at Hull.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Apr 2021, 10:59

nottinghamtiger wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:28
tigerfeat wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:22 No mate I've said before on here he wouldn't have been my choice but to be fair to the bloke it's harsh to call him a failed coach wining too challenge cups maybe he will do better at Cas
Personally, I don't see winning the cup as a sign of a top coach; you only need to win the right few games (and get a favourable draw) to win it.
With a squad spending the full salary-cap plus marquee players, Radford failed to deliver what he should have done at Hull.
Every Hull fan would have settled for him winning two major trophies when he arrived he could easily have made it a grand final as well given the way we played at Old Trafford they should have beaten Leeds in the semi
One of those long losing runs you mention they were decimated with injurys
Like I say he's not someone I would have looked at to come down lane but I can't have him as a failed coach for the way it ended for him at Hull
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 11:19

tigerfeat wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:59
nottinghamtiger wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:28
Every Hull fan would have settled for him winning two major trophies when he arrived he could easily have made it a grand final as well given the way we played at Old Trafford they should have beaten Leeds in the semi
One of those long losing runs you mention they were decimated with injurys
Like I say he's not someone I would have looked at to come down lane but I can't have him as a failed coach for the way it ended for him at Hull
I guess 'failure' is a subjective term. What's the measure of success and failure? Trophies? Consistency? Improvement over time? How you define failure underpins your judgement!

I think he failed at Hull, based on his poor win percentage with a squad spending the full salary cap and using the marquee player option. We'd be replacing a coach who has a win percentage of 58% with a coach who has a win percentage of 47%. Indeed, the coach with the lower win percentage spent more on the salary cap by using the marquee player rule.
Common sense suggests that appointing Lee Radford would be a step in a backwards direction.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 20 Apr 2021, 11:56

It is difficult to compare tenure at different clubs with different leadership.

At times for reasons completely unfathomable squads gel, people get along personally and they go well. I coached for a bit U18's, and genuinely we could have played pool and darts in training and if they fancied it, played well and if not, not.

Granted it is different at elite sport, but people work with and for people. A GF and a CC win in a 4/5 year stay, would that be suitable return?

Bigger worry with Radford is of course that he has had an embarrassment of money, players and facilities and still produced periods where their losing streaks were abysmal - can he do it with only trading on the squad he has?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 12:00

mdean wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:56
Bigger worry with Radford is of course that he has had an embarrassment of money, players and facilities and still produced periods where their losing streaks were abysmal - can he do it with only trading on the squad he has?
No.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Apr 2021, 14:03

I keep thinking of the old saying about lies, damn lies and statistics. McD and indeed Radders may have good records statistically speaking but are they really that good?

McD's input at Leeds may have been nothing more that a good motivator to the quality players at his disposal, possibly coupled with a father figure type scenario that mean the players believed in him. Once he went to Toronto and the quality players weren't available, his ability to coach a game plan may have been questionable.

With Radders, as some have said, far too many losses for a squad that was also full of quality.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 14:13

FIat Capper wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:03 I keep thinking of the old saying about lies, damn lies and statistics. McD and indeed Radders may have good records statistically speaking but are they really that good?
Radford's statistics are not good; he lost more games than he won during his time at Hull.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Apr 2021, 14:28

nottinghamtiger wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:13
FIat Capper wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:03 I keep thinking of the old saying about lies, damn lies and statistics. McD and indeed Radders may have good records statistically speaking but are they really that good?
Radford's statistics are not good; he lost more games than he won during his time at Hull.
I was thinking more about two CC wins but you highlight the point I'm making.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 20 Apr 2021, 14:37

Not according to the stats that I have seen.

Up to the end of 2019 it was 95 wins and out of 190, exactly 50%. In 2020 he had 7 games in charge winning 4. So his average is a little bit higher than the 47% that you quoted.

That said, I am not convinced on Lee Radford but equally, for different reasons in each case, I’m not convinced on any of the other reported candidates. However, whoever gets the job will get my support and I can only hope that the the club make the right appointment be that Lee Radford or someone else.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 14:42

Tiger53 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:37 Not according to the stats that I have seen.

Up to the end of 2019 it was 95 wins and out of 190, exactly 50%. In 2020 he had 7 games in charge winning 4. So his average is a little bit higher than the 47% that you quoted.

That said, I am not convinced on Lee Radford but equally, for different reasons in each case, I’m not convinced on any of the other reported candidates. However, whoever gets the job will get my support and I can only hope that the the club make the right appointment be that Lee Radford or someone else.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matc ... 0tLS0tLQ==

I only used league stats, mostly because cup ones are so heavily influenced by the 'luck of the draw' and games against part-time opposition.
However, including cup games he coached Hull for 200 games, winning 99. So his percentage does go up a bit, but is still (just) less than 50%.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coac ... mmary.html

Whilst we might debate the difference between 47% (just league games) and 49% (league and cup games), neither is anywhere near good enough if we want to compete towards the top end of the table regularly, especially given the fact that Hull used the marquee player rule.

Interestingly, looking at his stats it also stands out how few points his Hull team scored. Given Sneyd is one of the best percentage kickers in the league, they must have scored very few tries. Looking down the lists of scores, they didn't often score more than 12 points in a game and there are plenty of games where they scored 6 points or less.
The more I look at his record at Hull, the more I'm convinced he's not the coach to take us forward.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on 20 Apr 2021, 14:57, edited 3 times in total.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 14:50

Tiger53 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:37 In 2020 he had 7 games in charge winning 4.
No; he had 7 games in charge and won 3.

barking
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by barking » 20 Apr 2021, 15:47

you do all know win/loss statisics will not bother the BOD, it will be the cheapest option that gets the job

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 16:06

barking wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 15:47 you do all know win/loss statisics will not bother the BOD, it will be the cheapest option that gets the job
Thankfully, I doubt Radford will be the cheapest option given that he already has a well-paid role agreed elsewhere.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 20 Apr 2021, 17:35

Meanwhile does anyone know who got the gig?
Audacter Et Sincere

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Apr 2021, 17:44

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 20 Apr 2021, 17:59

Hope you are joking did nothing at hull so no chance with us

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 20 Apr 2021, 18:25

old cas lass wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 17:44 Don’t know how creditable it is.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ssion=true
Jesus Wept.
Audacter Et Sincere

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 20 Apr 2021, 18:28

flood light tiger wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 17:59 Hope you are joking did nothing at hull so no chance with us
Yep only won 2 cups in a row 😂

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 18:29

I’ve always said that whoever gets the job has my support to start with, but I think (if true) it’s a step backwards for the club. I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong, but I don’t think I will be.
One thing is for sure - there will be plenty of players looking for a way out if he’s named as the coach for 2022. Starting with our best forward.