Conflict of interest.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
covid tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Conflict of interest.

Post by covid tiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:00

This Powell to Warrington is a complete mess.Never has it been announced a coach is leaving for a rival in the same competition nearly 12 months in advance? Surely this is a complete conflict of interest? If he was going Who is handling out contracts of players for next season/recruitment.... Answers needed Castleford Tigers..

I am happy for a good 2021 season but not at the expense we are in a mess for years

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Conflict of interest.

Post by MrRugby123 » 06 Apr 2021, 11:05

Your negativity on this forum stinks. Are you even a Castleford fan or just a jealous Wakefield fan? We’ve known for ages that Powell is going to Warrington so I don’t see what changes. YES he’s going to Warrington but it won’t stop Powell putting his all into the final year at Cas. Warrington have loads of cash to spend so I doubt he’ll be looking at any Castleford players. It will be Simon Moran who will be doing all the signings for them like he usually does.

covid tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by covid tiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:11

Sorry we are turning into a laughing stock. I'm all for a great 2021 but not at the expense of years to come. We need to announced a new coach immediately for stability and forward planning. Warrington fans are not happy and vented their frustration so early into this season and this early announcement of Powell is to answer some of it. We need to do the same.
Last edited by covid tiger on 06 Apr 2021, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Apr 2021, 11:13

covid tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:11 We need to announced a new coach immediately for stability and forward planning.
Would you not rather we wait and get the right person for the job? God forbid we end up with another Ian Millard scenario....

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:15

Do you not think he/she is correct this time?

Are you happy for things to stay as they are. Is it’s meant to be official?

Is it right to expect DP to stay and do the job to his ultimate best?

Not sure if anyone has ever changed jobs before, I am sure many have, but for those that have can you honestly say you were giving 100% until your last day?

This is not a pop at DP but the situation that has now arisen. I can’t see how it can be done for the season without any conflict of interest at all.

As for questioning how he works with taking players then coaches say and do many things and if Warrington want to win things, as we see they have, then money will be invested and DP will go with his boss as we all do.

Remember McDermott slating acas and the town? Wait til next week and see what happens?

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 06 Apr 2021, 11:16

No conflict of interest for me. Powell definitely isn't the sort of bloke to give up on us. It was inevitable he was going to end up at Warrington. More money to spend on better players, better facilities etc, who wouldn't want to take that next step. I don't think there's much between us and Warrington on the field, but off it, we're a million miles away. Just pray we get the next appointment right, otherwise 8 years of stability could end up unravelling very very quick.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:17

I think it's better to say what's happening than have the speculation all year.
You'd hope he will be professional about his role at Cas. The risk is that he starts persuading players not to sign new contracts at the club because he wants them at Warrington next season, but you'd expect him to have more integrity than that.
Powell has my support until his last game at the club; at that point, he becomes just another opposition coach who I want us to beat, just like any other player/coach who has left Cas and moved to another club,

covid tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by covid tiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:17

if we leave it too late any potential new signings will have signed elsewhere and judgements are needed early on our ofc players so that they are not talking to other clubs so a new potential coach can choose who to save and who to let go.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:20

covid tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:17 if we leave it too late any potential new signings will have signed elsewhere and judgements are needed early on our ofc players so that they are not talking to other clubs so a new potential coach can choose who to save and who to let go.
Agreed; we need to appoint a coach for 2022 so they can be involved in retention/recruitment decisions.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Apr 2021, 11:23

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:15 Do you not think he/she is correct this time?

Are you happy for things to stay as they are. Is it’s meant to be official?

Is it right to expect DP to stay and do the job to his ultimate best?

Not sure if anyone has ever changed jobs before, I am sure many have, but for those that have can you honestly say you were giving 100% until your last day?

This is not a pop at DP but the situation that has now arisen. I can’t see how it can be done for the season without any conflict of interest at all.

As for questioning how he works with taking players then coaches say and do many things and if Warrington want to win things, as we see they have, then money will be invested and DP will go with his boss as we all do.

Remember McDermott slating acas and the town? Wait til next week and see what happens?
A lot will depend how we go this season mate if we're winning games and playing well all will be ok on him leaving front if things start to go wrong players don't look bothered in matches things will soon go belly up
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:29

Fumper27 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:13
covid tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:11 We need to announced a new coach immediately for stability and forward planning.
Would you not rather we wait and get the right person for the job? God forbid we end up with another Ian Millard scenario....
If we can afford it (and I know it's a big 'if'), I'd actually bring in a new coach now to work alongside Powell for the rest of the season.
Ultimately, there is some conflict of interest here if Warrington and Cas are both wanting to sign/re-sign the same player(s) for 2022. Therefore, Powell needs to be out of discussions about recruitment and retention for 2022 and the new coach (whoever that might be) needs to be involved.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:41

So what would Powell be actually doing if he stays with any new coach?

Would you want to take a coaching role to be told the guy who is leaving will be helping you? Not a chance. The new coach either starts now and Dap goes or he starts in 2022 as his first season.

If the new coach is currently available then it would be far easier to let DP g and bring the new one in. It is clear they didn’t want to keep DP so why not cut the ties now and avoid some potentially bad moments later on?

If we get knocked out of CC and we start losing would that be a good situation?

We now know what’s happening so let’s do it now. Clean cut, fresh start and players playing for a new contract with a new coach.

Nothing against DP from me, been fantastic and done a fantastic job. Only good thoughts from me. Thanks for everything DP and good luck at Warrington.

My feelings are Cas will wait for DP to resign to save money and let the situation continue. As soon as the team start losing, which could happen, that’s when fans will not be pleased and it starts getting a bit nasty.

This season can be used to build a squad/team for next year. We don’t need to wait until October.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 06 Apr 2021, 11:44

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:41 So what would Powell be actually doing if he stays with any new coach?

Would you want to take a coaching role to be told the guy who is leaving will be helping you? Not a chance. The new coach either starts now and Dap goes or he starts in 2022 as his first season.

If the new coach is currently available then it would be far easier to let DP g and bring the new one in. It is clear they didn’t want to keep DP so why not cut the ties now and avoid some potentially bad moments later on?

We now know what’s happening so let’s do it now. Clean cut, fresh start and players playing for a new contract with a new coach.

Nothing against DP from me, been fantastic and done a fantastic job. Only good thoughts from me. Thanks for everything DP and good luck at Warrington.

My feelings are Cas will wait for DP to resign to save money and let the situation continue. As soon as the team start losing, which could happen, that’s when fans will not be pleased and it starts getting a bit nasty.

This season can be used to build a squad/team for next year. We don’t need to wait until October.
Does Powell really strike you as the sort of bloke, who would just leave after everything he's done for this club and vise versa? Because I don't personally see him walking away after a few losses and just giving in.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 06 Apr 2021, 11:44

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:41 So what would Powell be actually doing if he stays with any new coach?

Does Powell really strike you as the sort of bloke, who would just leave after everything he's done for this club and vise versa? Because I don't personally see him walking away after a few losses and just giving in.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Apr 2021, 11:47

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:41
So what would Powell be actually doing if he stays with any new coach?
Gardening?

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 06 Apr 2021, 11:49

Don’t think it matters what sort of person DP is.the situation will dictate what happens.if wire do poorly wire fans will want price out and DP in.like lofthouse says we start to lose games and players look disinterested we will be on here saying DP as his mind on wire,players aren’t playing for the coach etc.I can’t see a situation where this ends well for cas at all unless we’re challenging in both competitions.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 06 Apr 2021, 12:00

Scoopage wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:49 Don’t think it matters what sort of person DP is.the situation will dictate what happens.if wire do poorly wire fans will want price out and DP in.like lofthouse says we start to lose games and players look disinterested we will be on here saying DP as his mind on wire,players aren’t playing for the coach etc.I can’t see a situation where this ends well for cas at all unless we’re challenging in both competitions.
And it doesn't matter what Warrington fans want. He's under contract and won't walk, he has too much respect and honour to walk out on us. Unless Warrington stump up a fee to relieve him early, won't happen.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 06 Apr 2021, 12:09

heritage1926 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 12:00
Scoopage wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:49 Don’t think it matters what sort of person DP is.the situation will dictate what happens.if wire do poorly wire fans will want price out and DP in.like lofthouse says we start to lose games and players look disinterested we will be on here saying DP as his mind on wire,players aren’t playing for the coach etc.I can’t see a situation where this ends well for cas at all unless we’re challenging in both competitions.
And it doesn't matter what Warrington fans want. He's under contract and won't walk, he has too much respect and honour to walk out on us. Unless Warrington stump up a fee to relieve him early, won't happen.
Money talks heritage

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Apr 2021, 12:32

And it doesn't matter what Warrington fans want. He's under contract and won't walk, he has too much respect and honour to walk out on us. Unless Warrington stump up a fee to relieve him early, won't happeN

So he is too proud to walk out on us.....unless the money is offered? How is that too proud to walk out?

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 06 Apr 2021, 12:39

This makes me wonder if the widespread rumours of him applying for the Hull job were correct last season.

Its time to get rid for me, thanks for the memories but I can't see how he can be taken seriously if he's gone to Warrington.