Olpherts disallowed try.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Olpherts disallowed try.

Post by Fumper27 » 03 Apr 2021, 16:23

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 16:21 It was lost in a forward direction, it was never regained or kicked, and then it touched the ground. Irrelevant that it was knocked backwards at a later stage, it was initially lost forward and never regained or kicked.
The refs confusion is what the word “regains” means, and it means regains control.
Certainly an interesting one, but what I’m sure of is that it’s nothing to do with referees cheating because they all hate Cas!
This is why we love our game so much. One incident sparks so much debate, where there are so many opinions and thoughts on what should’ve happened.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 03 Apr 2021, 16:58

It was just like Farrell going for hardakers kick at end of Wigan/wakey. Wigan try was awarded
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 03 Apr 2021, 17:05

Mysterio wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 16:58 It was just like Farrell going for hardakers kick at end of Wigan/wakey. Wigan try was awarded
Farrel didn’t propel it forwards, pushed it backwards on his first touch. Jesse propelled it forwards on first touch.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 03 Apr 2021, 17:06

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 16:21 It was lost in a forward direction, it was never regained or kicked, and then it touched the ground. Irrelevant that it was knocked backwards at a later stage, it was initially lost forward and never regained or kicked.
The refs confusion is what the word “regains” means, and it means regains control.
Certainly an interesting one, but what I’m sure of is that it’s nothing to do with referees cheating because they all hate Cas!
We’ll not be having any of that common sense talk on here, if you don’t mind.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 03 Apr 2021, 18:08

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 17:05
Mysterio wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 16:58 It was just like Farrell going for hardakers kick at end of Wigan/wakey. Wigan try was awarded
Farrel didn’t propel it forwards, pushed it backwards on his first touch. Jesse propelled it forwards on first touch.
Makes no difference whatsoever if you are aware of the rules, it didn’t touch a leeds player and Jesse knocked it back just in the same way as farrell did.
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 03 Apr 2021, 18:11

Mysterio wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 18:08
Makes no difference whatsoever if you are aware of the rules, it didn’t touch a leeds player and Jesse knocked it back just in the same way as farrell did.
No he doesn’t, he knocks it forwards on his first touch, which is the touch that counts, and I know that because not only am I aware of the laws, I have passed exams on the laws....

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 03 Apr 2021, 18:12

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 18:11
No he doesn’t, he knocks it forwards on his first touch, which is the touch that counts, and I know that because not only am I aware of the laws, I have passed exams on the laws....
So, those who know the laws never make mistakes.....🤔🤔🤔😁😁😁

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 03 Apr 2021, 18:23

We all make mistakes, which is what makes it interesting.
Ref made a mistake sending it up as a try, but fortunately for Leeds, someone who knows the laws got to review it. (Which as a Cas fan, I was hoping the video ref didn’t know the laws either!)

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 03 Apr 2021, 18:46

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 18:11
Lord give me strength.
Ok chap. ](*,)

It’s only a knock on if it hits a leeds player. Jesse clearly juggled it finally backwards in his touches which is why the ref and the tj gave it.
Audacter Et Sincere

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Apr 2021, 18:51

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 18:23 We all make mistakes, which is what makes it interesting.
Ref made a mistake sending it up as a try, but fortunately for Leeds, someone who knows the laws got to review it. (Which as a Cas fan, I was hoping the video ref didn’t know the laws either!)
You can't say Liam Moore didn't know the law he had one quick look at it in real time and thought it went backwards
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 03 Apr 2021, 18:53

It’s a knock on because the first touch was forward and control was never regained before it touched the ground. Banging your head won’t change the laws.

Get into em
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Get into em » 03 Apr 2021, 19:21

Correct decision of no try, I said whilst watching the game live and when the referee initially awarded a try, that it was definitely a clear knock on and that the video referee would overturn it.

I also don't buy into this rubbish that refs are biased against sides and would their for deliberately disallow tries etc just because they had an alleged agenda against sides.

Perhaps the majority of fans watch their respective clubs with their own clubs self interest at heart and let their hearts rule their heads on all of the contentious decisions made by the referee without actually knowing the rules of the game themselves?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 03 Apr 2021, 19:21

cogito ergo sum wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 18:53 It’s a knock on because the first touch was forward and control was never regained before it touched the ground. Banging your head won’t change the laws.
Seems a stupid rule tbh.
A juggle without the ball touching the ground, not a infringement of the laws.
A ball passed backward not forwards, also not an infringement of the laws.

So all in all no infringement took place.
Help.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 03 Apr 2021, 22:47

Was the push back not “controlled”? If he made an attempt to push the ball back and it did indeed go be surely he regain “control” as he was able to affect the direction of the ball. Summarily when a try is scored with “controlled” downward pressure and try’s are awarded with finger nails being scarped down the side of the ball. However the reason it’s not a try is because it wasn’t awarded. That’s the long and short. All the rules are open to interpretation.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 03 Apr 2021, 23:12

Only reason it wasn't given is because Thaler is a Cas hating Wakey fan.

It never touches a Leeds player and JSL knocks the ball backwards to Olpherts, ref shouldn't have gone to the screen when he cleared it because he was correct.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 03 Apr 2021, 23:44

TT Tiger wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 22:47 Was the push back not “controlled”? If he made an attempt to push the ball back and it did indeed go be surely he regain “control” as he was able to affect the direction of the ball. Summarily when a try is scored with “controlled” downward pressure and try’s are awarded with finger nails being scarped down the side of the ball. However the reason it’s not a try is because it wasn’t awarded. That’s the long and short. All the rules are open to interpretation.
Jesse flicked the ball backwards.
Same as an up and under kick. attacking players jump up and flick the ball backwards, sometimes it goes anywhere, sometime it goes into a team mates hands. Most of the time it’s not always controlled, but it does go backwards so play on.
Still confused.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Apr 2021, 00:25

If he catches the ball rather than dropping it cold, it’s not a knock on.
Perhaps we are focusing on a borderline referee decision rather than acknowledging our player made a basic error?

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 04 Apr 2021, 09:14

old cas lass wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 23:44
TT Tiger wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 22:47 Was the push back not “controlled”? If he made an attempt to push the ball back and it did indeed go be surely he regain “control” as he was able to affect the direction of the ball. Summarily when a try is scored with “controlled” downward pressure and try’s are awarded with finger nails being scarped down the side of the ball. However the reason it’s not a try is because it wasn’t awarded. That’s the long and short. All the rules are open to interpretation.
Same as an up and under kick. attacking players jump up and flick the ball backwards, sometimes it goes anywhere, sometime it goes into a team mates hands. Most of the time it’s not always controlled, but it does go backwards so play on.
Still confused.
The whole point is that the first touch was forwards......after that the only way it is not a knock on is if he regains control or kicks it before it touches the ground. If his flick back had been caught by Olpherts rather than picked off the ground it’s play on, but it touched the ground, so knock on because of first touch......

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Apr 2021, 10:54

cogito ergo sum wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:14
old cas lass wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 23:44
Still confused.
The whole point is that the first touch was forwards......after that the only way it is not a knock on is if he regains control or kicks it before it touches the ground. If his flick back had been caught by Olpherts rather than picked off the ground it’s play on, but it touched the ground, so knock on because of first touch......
I’m not try to be argumentative at all....but.
You said the first touch went forward, yes I accept that, but it didn’t go forward to another player, it was the same player who had the second touch. Since when as that been a forward pass to yourself.

As I see it from your explanation , though the ball didn’t go forward to another player or there was no knock on.
The bit were the ball touched the floor was the indiscretion.
If that’s the case then imo it’s a silly law.
Just Ben Thaler who knew the rules.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Apr 2021, 13:33

Corgi thinks as he's refereed the game he's right I think

It was never a knock on.

What do the rules say
Audacter Et Sincere