Back line

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Back line

Post by SuffolkTiger » 22 Feb 2021, 14:34

the happy hooker9 wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 12:10 It appears from past comments that people on here are getting their knickers in a twist about our back line up for 2021
We won back to back Wembley finals 69/70, with shall we say one of the most underestimated three-quarter line up ever to appear here:-
69 - Briggs, Thomas, Howe and Lowndes
70 - Briggs Thomas Stenton and Lowndes
with due respect to the guys they were never going to be world beaters, but they did all that was required of them score when opportunity arose, defend when needed.
But must add a rider to the above they had in-front of them one (if not the best) pack of forwards ever to grace wembley and the H Bombs.
What a great post.

It's always been the case that forwards win you games and the backs influence by how many. Factoring in 2 good half backs behind an aggressive and mobile pack means the centres and wings will have a comfortable and productive afternoon in 90% of games. Over the years, very few three-quarters have operated at a consistent level while playing behind a pack that can't dominate. The players in those positions that have are in the minority.

I'm not convinced that our captain has had a massive loss of form - I think it's at least as much about what he had going on in front of him after the restart last year.

Time will tell.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 22 Feb 2021, 14:53

There is some credence to that philosophy but I must state that there is no substitute for pace and agility. Take Martin Offiah as an example.

Yes, he had a very dominant pack to work behind be he could rip sides apart from anywhere on the pitch. He could exploit the narrowest of gaps and whoosh, he'd be gone.

And as our own Kelsey Gentles demonstrated in that wonderful clip, speed in defence is also beneficial.

Whatever anyone's thoughts are on Shenny, he's unlikely to go the full length these days, either in attack or defence.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 22 Feb 2021, 15:02

True but most of us miss Jake in the centres and excellent as he was I don’t recall many length of the field moments from him.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 22 Feb 2021, 15:03

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 15:02 True but most of us miss Jake in the centres and excellent as he was I don’t recall many length of the field moments from him.
He could bust a tackle though.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Feb 2021, 15:08

Jake webster was unstoppable 20 meters out.
Ran in like a train.
My type of Center.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 22 Feb 2021, 15:16

FIat Capper wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 14:53 There is some credence to that philosophy but I must state that there is no substitute for pace and agility. Take Martin Offiah as an example.

Yes, he had a very dominant pack to work behind be he could rip sides apart from anywhere on the pitch. He could exploit the narrowest of gaps and whoosh, he'd be gone.

And as our own Kelsey Gentles demonstrated in that wonderful clip, speed in defence is also beneficial.

Whatever anyone's thoughts are on Shenny, he's unlikely to go the full length these days, either in attack or defence.
Agree. I was going to use Offiah as an example of the exception to the rule in my post. An amazing try scoring record throughout is career. He spent most of that surrounded by very good players though.

There will be some but the names of three-quarters who looked consistently strong playing in teams (not just packs) that didn't dominate the opposition don't spring to mind easily.

Maybe JJ who always stood out throughout his long career no matter what the quality of the Cas team was at the time.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 22 Feb 2021, 17:14

old cas lass wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 15:08 Jake webster was unstoppable 20 meters out.
Ran in like a train.
My type of Center.
Totally agree. Just making the point that length of field try scoring ability isn’t an essential

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 22 Feb 2021, 20:27

I still dont think a backline of Evalds Olpherts Mata'utia Shenny Eden Truey n Ricco is as bad as a few on here are making out, ok its not the best backline in SL but it definitely isn't the worst and as long as they are playing behind a dominant pack we will be pushing the top teams all the way.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 22 Feb 2021, 20:39

jackknife wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:27 I still dont think a backline of Evalds Olpherts Mata'utia Shenny Eden Truey n Ricco is as bad as a few on here are making out, ok its not the best backline in SL but it definitely isn't the worst and as long as they are playing behind a dominant pack we will be pushing the top teams all the way.
It’s not too bad at all. The problem we have is injury back up out wide, which should be good enough to push for a starting spot to leave Clare as emergency cover. As much as I do actually like Clare as a squad player, he’ll give everything for the shirt, if we get to a situation where he’s playing regular we won’t be pushing the top teams - he simply isn’t good enough to be a regular starter.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 24 Feb 2021, 19:57

Tigers have given former Harlequins scrum half Lloyd wheeldon a one month trial.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Feb 2021, 21:21

Tigerade wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 19:57 Tigers have given former Harlequins scrum half Lloyd wheeldon a one month trial.
This news was released on 12th January. We’ve extended it today for another month. How old is he?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 24 Feb 2021, 21:55

Fumper27 wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 21:21
Tigerade wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 19:57 Tigers have given former Harlequins scrum half Lloyd wheeldon a one month trial.
This news was released on 12th January. We’ve extended it today for another month. How old is he?
25 today I believe.

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 24 Feb 2021, 23:20

derbystiger wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:39
jackknife wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:27 I still dont think a backline of Evalds Olpherts Mata'utia Shenny Eden Truey n Ricco is as bad as a few on here are making out, ok its not the best backline in SL but it definitely isn't the worst and as long as they are playing behind a dominant pack we will be pushing the top teams all the way.
It’s not too bad at all. The problem we have is injury back up out wide, which should be good enough to push for a starting spot to leave Clare as emergency cover. As much as I do actually like Clare as a squad player, he’ll give everything for the shirt, if we get to a situation where he’s playing regular we won’t be pushing the top teams - he simply isn’t good enough to be a regular starter.
Not too bad its shocking one off worse in super league how many games did we dominate last year but could not turn to points . Attacking shenton and pete are so Slow its easy to defend against when we are attacking top third off field .Find it hard to believe we did not invest in a proper centre who as pace and also ball craft to feed winger .Shenton should retire gracefully and pete should going same direction as blair loose forward or second row.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 25 Feb 2021, 01:03

on side wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 23:20
derbystiger wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:39
Not too bad its shocking one off worse in super league how many games did we dominate last year but could not turn to points . Attacking shenton and pete are so Slow its easy to defend against when we are attacking top third off field .Find it hard to believe we did not invest in a proper centre who as pace and also ball craft to feed winger .Shenton should retire gracefully and pete should going same direction as blair loose forward or second row.
Shocking? Really?

It's not on par with Steadman, Singe, Blackmore, Kemp etc or what we had in 2017 but shocking is a description that's miles off the mark.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 25 Feb 2021, 09:02

The spine as the potential to be very good that's what I pin my hopes on ...2-3-4-5 looks weak to me before a ball is kicked
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 25 Feb 2021, 09:57

To be fair, 5 or actually 23 has one of if not the best strike rates in the competition

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 25 Feb 2021, 10:04

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 09:57 To be fair, 5 or actually 23 has one of if not the best strike rates in the competition
I’ve criticised Eden but when he plays on the wing he’s definitely one of the top wingers in super league.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 25 Feb 2021, 10:13

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 09:57 To be fair, 5 or actually 23 has one of if not the best strike rates in the competition
Agree on Eden lets hope he plays all season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 Feb 2021, 13:37

Almost every trophy-winning team has one or two players with genuine pace. Those players you know aren't going to be caught once there is nobody between them and the try line, regardless of how far they are away from it.
We have Eden and Evalds who fall into that category. If we can get Evalds through gaps in the middle or on the 'inside' edge and create space for Eden on the outside of the defence, we'll score plenty.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 25 Feb 2021, 13:42

nottinghamtiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 13:37 Almost every trophy-winning team has one or two players with genuine pace. Those players you know aren't going to be caught once there is nobody between them and the try line, regardless of how far they are away from it.
We have Eden and Evalds who fall into that category. If we can get Evalds through gaps in the middle or on the 'inside' edge and create space for Eden on the outside of the defence, we'll score plenty.
Olpherts not far behind them either.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER