Really?????

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Really?????

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 07 Feb 2021, 15:27

A bit like Ian Watson you mean?

I am not suggesting DP isn’t a top coach, I wouldn’t swap him for any of those on that list.

To be seen as a top coach you have to be a winner and at this moment DP isn’t in that bracket.

Having said that he can only work with what he has and whilst we have 3 top players, Macca, Watts and Evalds, we have 2 young half backs that will hopefully get better sadly the re isn’t much more quality after that.

We have seen what DP can do but is that sustainable over the next 5 years and beyond under the current BOD?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 08 Feb 2021, 00:59

We've had 3 players win MOS while DP has been in charge, all 3 in spine positions. Coincidence?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 08 Feb 2021, 13:03

Not a coincidence at all and as I said we know what he can do with players that have the ability required to be top players. He has also shown he can make average players better players but he isn’t a miracle worker.

Point is we don’t have enough quality across the board to be consistent winners. This is not DP’s fault or a dig at him. I think most Cas fans are happy with what he has done and what he can do. It’s the resources that he doesn’t have and that is but the coaches remit.

Think it is a well known discussion as to how good could/would we be had DP had more backing with a bit more quality. We had a massive chance in 2017 but too busy back slapping and sitting back and it all disappeared as it does and has done on so many occasions.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 08 Feb 2021, 13:14

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 13:03 Not a coincidence at all and as I said we know what he can do with players that have the ability required to be top players. He has also shown he can make average players better players but he isn’t a miracle worker.

Point is we don’t have enough quality across the board to be consistent winners. This is not DP’s fault or a dig at him. I think most Cas fans are happy with what he has done and what he can do. It’s the resources that he doesn’t have and that is but the coaches remit.

Think it is a well known discussion as to how good could/would we be had DP had more backing with a bit more quality. We had a massive chance in 2017 but too busy back slapping and sitting back and it all disappeared as it does and has done on so many occasions.
Absolutely spot on lofthouse.
If Powell had the saints squad to coach, he’d be the best coach in SL year in year out.
Give him 20 quality players and we’d have won more silver ware.

Saying that, I do think he’s worked miracle with the squads he’s had in the last 7 years.
We are just missing that extra quality to go to the next level of winning constant trophies.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 08 Feb 2021, 16:28

I do think we were onto something last year though pre covid.were we not top or second after the saints game?covid and injuries just ruined our season.I think we have strengthened in the right areas for this season and a favourable bit of luck on the injury front will see us challenging for trophies I think.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 08 Feb 2021, 17:05

Scoopage wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 16:28 I do think we were onto something last year though pre covid.were we not top or second after the saints game?covid and injuries just ruined our season.I think we have strengthened in the right areas for this season and a favourable bit of luck on the injury front will see us challenging for trophies I think.
We were joint top on 10pts from 7 games after we beat St. Helens

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 08 Feb 2021, 17:58

We need someone with deep pockets who loves the club like we do. I'm not saying the Fulton's don't because I don't know. But it's plain to everyone we cannot survive by burying our head's in the sand.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 08 Feb 2021, 18:13

I fully appreciate Millward's overall record but compare 'his' success at Saints to his tenure at Cas. Why didn't he achieve the same level of success?

The simple answer is of course, the players available at the respective clubs. Coaching Saints is always going to be easier with the players they tend to have there but Cas require something different, a man who can do more than coach the very best, someone who brings out the very best.

Powell does that, Millward can't. The question is who are the best coaches not which have won the most silverware.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Feb 2021, 11:17

Scoopage wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 16:28 I do think we were onto something last year though pre covid.were we not top or second after the saints game?covid and injuries just ruined our season.I think we have strengthened in the right areas for this season and a favourable bit of luck on the injury front will see us challenging for trophies I think.
I agree mate Powells been at the club for a long time for a modern day coach anyway... I don't think he would still be here if he didn't think he could build a side in the next two year's that will win a trophy
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Feb 2021, 12:39

Coaching Saints will bring added pressures to be successful and Millward did it as other coaches do at other clubs that succeed. Compare the pressure at Saints, Wigan, Leeds and then Cas. The first 3 clubs have people in charge that are winners and want to win and invariably do on a regular basis. They also have ambition, foresight and drive to be a success or they wouldn't be a success.

It isn't just the coach that "Wins trophies" for clubs its the whole set up of facilities, coaches. players, back room staff and probably most importantly the owners/investors. I believe the last point is where clubs tend to be successful. This is why aren't in that group of serial winners and never will be whilst we are owned/operate as we do. As was said it needs someone/people with finances, ambition, drive and a track record of being successful mostly. Not saying we don't have people that have one or more attributes but I think we all know/believe we don't.

As I have said I wouldn't swap DP for anyone, its the other side of the coin that needs replacing/swapping and that doesn't look likely either. DP clearly has something others may not have but do the club see this or are the club just waiting for things to happen for them?

Ask yourself this, if we continue as we are do you think we will win trophies? Do you think the other teams mentioned above will and when they do do they sit back backslapping each other thinking its all done?

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 09 Feb 2021, 12:57

tigerfeat wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 11:17
I agree mate Powells been at the club for a long time for a modern day coach anyway... I don't think he would still be here if he didn't think he could build a side in the next two year's that will win a trophy
My feelings too mate.