The old girl....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

The old girl....

Post by SuffolkTiger » 05 Feb 2021, 06:04

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: The old girl....

Post by Piquad1 » 05 Feb 2021, 07:58

Yea that was a nice read. But they're only echoing what is Tiger fans already knew. But nice anyway. C,O,Y. F. 🐯

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Feb 2021, 08:06

Said it before apply for heritage status.
Listed buildings.
Assets of Community Value.
Sites of Scientific Interest.
No need for a new stadium.
Hopefully those below us will abandon their facilities.
Never know Fartown may yet reopen.
COYF.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 05 Feb 2021, 08:57

Piquad1 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 07:58 Yea that was a nice read. But they're only echoing what is Tiger fans already knew. But nice anyway. C,O,Y. F. 🐯
It’s written by a Tigers supporter so no wonder we came in at #1

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 05 Feb 2021, 09:36

Don't burst the bubble Fumper I was enjoying that thought. Lol

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 05 Feb 2021, 09:43

Piquad1 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 09:36 Don't burst the bubble Fumper I was enjoying that thought. Lol
Sorry pal. Just trying to give it some perspective!!!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Feb 2021, 10:13

what year was the princess st stand erected? i can go back before then this was the last time any serious money was spent on the old girl

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Feb 2021, 10:26

gateman wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 10:13 what year was the princess st stand erected? i can go back before then this was the last time any serious money was spent on the old girl
King was still on throne last time anything was done ;)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Feb 2021, 11:34

tigerfeat wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 10:26
gateman wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 10:13 what year was the princess st stand erected? i can go back before then this was the last time any serious money was spent on the old girl
King was still on throne last time anything was done ;)
you might be right I am sure Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover was being played over the tannoy

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 05 Feb 2021, 11:41

Yea it was No 1 at the time.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 05 Feb 2021, 11:55

If my memory serves me right.
Half the time it doesn’t. (It’s an age thing).
When I started going late 50’s, I’m sure there was a roof on.
That’s were me my brother dad and aunty and uncle stood.
Before 1958 I couldn’t tell you.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Feb 2021, 12:09

Agree with Callum about his top two Cas when it's packed and then Leeds
There will be some sadness when the old ground is no more all the memorys and loved ones lost that I used to stand with ...can't see that being for a while yet tho
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 05 Feb 2021, 12:54

i seem to remember the princess street stand was much smaller just where the tv gantry is. i am sure it was extended in the mid 60s but i can't rely much on my memory these days.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Feb 2021, 13:27

WR is no longer fit for purpose, whatever positive memories it might hold.
We need to explore other options as a matter of urgency, because if (when) the RFL and SL decide to re-introducing licensing, we’re gone.
I’d be seriously looking at moving first-team games to the Keepmoat now.

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 05 Feb 2021, 13:58

nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:27 WR is no longer fit for purpose, whatever positive memories it might hold.
We need to explore other options as a matter of urgency, because if (when) the RFL and SL decide to re-introducing licensing, we’re gone.
Personally I would much prefer to watch Cas playing down the lane, and I would expect moving to the keepmoat to seriously effect attendance from the home fans, so I doubt if financially it would stack up, on top of the rent match day costs etc.

Still I seem to remember from the CC semi we played there that the toilets are nice..................................... :D

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Feb 2021, 14:28

westyorkylad wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:58
nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:27 WR is no longer fit for purpose, whatever positive memories it might hold.
Personally I would much prefer to watch Cas playing down the lane, and I would expect moving to the keepmoat to seriously effect attendance from the home fans, so I doubt if financially it would stack up, on top of the rent match day costs etc.

Still I seem to remember from the CC semi we played there that the toilets are nice..................................... :D
I’d rather watch Cas play in SL at the Keepmoat than in the lower divisions at WR, which is what the club is heading for once licensing is reintroduced. Nothing will have a greater impact on club finances than not playing in SL.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 05 Feb 2021, 15:01

Is that cos it's closer to Nottingham? :lol:

Seriously though, whatever the threat of the loss of SL may be, Donny every other week is beyond many Cas fans, particularly the evening kick-offs. Imagine travelling from Donny late of a Thursday evening on a regular basis. Not for me.

However, we cannot ignore the fact many others, including the powers that be, view the current WR facilities as outdated. Personally, I love the place and would much prefer to see the same approach Fev have taking in improving what was an absolute hell hole into a reasonable modern stadia.

Is this really beyond the Cas BoD's?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Feb 2021, 15:50

FIat Capper wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 15:01
Is that cos it's closer to Nottingham? :lol:

Seriously though, whatever the threat of the loss of SL may be, Donny every other week is beyond many Cas fans, particularly the evening kick-offs. Imagine travelling from Donny late of a Thursday evening on a regular basis. Not for me.

However, we cannot ignore the fact many others, including the powers that be, view the current WR facilities as outdated. Personally, I love the place and would much prefer to see the same approach Fev have taking in improving what was an absolute hell hole into a reasonable modern stadia.

Is this really beyond the Cas BoD's?
Ha ha - only slightly closer!

I just think we’re sleepwalking into a big problem. I think it’s a matter of time before licensing is reintroduced in some guise, and when that happens we are stuffed.

I do think most people would travel to Doncaster. It’s a 35 minute drive from WR to the Keepmoat. On the law of averages, that will be further for some but actually closer for others. There is also the distinct possibility that it will draw new supporters from the Doncaster area too. It’s also easier for most away supporters and I’d hazard a guess that any loss of supporters would be made up by new ones and more away ones.

The club could even make some money running coaches from WR to the Keepmoat and back on game days for those who don’t drive. It’s win-win.

(I know it’s not win-win because we’d have to pay to play at Donny. But again, I’d rather see cas in SL at the Keepmoat than in the lower divisions at WR). Loss of SL status with little prospect of getting back into SL would be the end of the club as we know it.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Feb 2021, 15:50

leaving the CAS area would be the end of Castleford RL

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Feb 2021, 15:53

gateman wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 15:50 leaving the CAS area would be the end of Castleford RL
Why? It’s the same club, just playing half an hour down the road.
Losing SL status would be the end of Castleford RL. And that is likely to happen when licensing is reintroduced. But by the time we know about it, it will be too late.
At the moment, there is nowhere in Cas that befits the home of a pro sports team.