The old girl....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: The old girl....

Post by gateman » 05 Feb 2021, 21:52

Rl expansion has been abismal you just don't pick up support, most of us rugby league is bred into us I honestly can't see the Doncaster folk flocking in numbers to watch RL having worked at Thorpe Marsh a big power station but for the one or two that watched our game most did not even know how many players were on the field

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Feb 2021, 00:38

nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 21:10
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 19:54 I remain unconvinced that the RFL are serious about expanding to new areas and their track record on making it work is abysmal as it has been throughout the history of the game.
This is the issue though. The fact it has failed time after time hasn’t stopped their drive to expand the game.
Fair point, but after Toronto potential investors must be getting wary particularly with Covid being with us for the foreseeable future

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 06 Feb 2021, 13:49

I love watching games at the old girl but with the current economic climate, covid, etc. prospects of a new ground have disappeared into the sunset, so I'm now firmly in favour of making improvements to WR, where I've been watching my team since the 1950's.

Obviously the issue is money but if we can't raise the necessary funds from our sponsor(s) surely we could approach WMDC for a loan as precedence has been set by our neighbours over the common?

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 06 Feb 2021, 14:24

nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 21:14
Oldcasman wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 18:34
nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 15:50
FIat Capper wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 15:01
nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:27 WR is no longer fit for purpose, whatever positive memories it might hold.
We need to explore other options as a matter of urgency, because if (when) the RFL and SL decide to re-introducing licensing, we’re gone.
I’d be seriously looking at moving first-team games to the Keepmoat now.
Is that cos it's closer to Nottingham? :lol:

Seriously though, whatever the threat of the loss of SL may be, Donny every other week is beyond many Cas fans, particularly the evening kick-offs. Imagine travelling from Donny late of a Thursday evening on a regular basis. Not for me.

However, we cannot ignore the fact many others, including the powers that be, view the current WR facilities as outdated. Personally, I love the place and would much prefer to see the same approach Fev have taking in improving what was an absolute hell hole into a reasonable modern stadia.

Is this really beyond the Cas BoD's?
Ha ha - only slightly closer!

I just think we’re sleepwalking into a big problem. I think it’s a matter of time before licensing is reintroduced in some guise, and when that happens we are stuffed.

I do think most people would travel to Doncaster. It’s a 35 minute drive from WR to the Keepmoat. On the law of averages, that will be further for some but actually closer for others. There is also the distinct possibility that it will draw new supporters from the Doncaster area too. It’s also easier for most away supporters and I’d hazard a guess that any loss of supporters would be made up by new ones and more away ones.

The club could even make some money running coaches from WR to the Keepmoat and back on game days for those who don’t drive. It’s win-win.

(I know it’s not win-win because we’d have to pay to play at Donny. But again, I’d rather see cas in SL at the Keepmoat than in the lower divisions at WR). Loss of SL status with little prospect of getting back into SL would be the end of the club as we know it.
I think you are well out of touch if you think that cas fans would go to Donnie for every home match, what I would suggest is for you to go watch Donnie then you wouldn’t have to worry about the jungle, personally I would prefer to watch such as fev etc at the jungle than watch S/L at Doncaster.
Each to their own, but I would rather see us competing with the best teams in Super League than playing at a semi-professional level.
As for being out of touch, I’m not too sure. I know plenty of people who travel to go to WR who wouldn’t need to travel as far to get to Doncaster. Maybe thinking that all Castleford supporters live within walking distance of Wheldon Road makes you more out of touch than me?
Please tell me how many people you know who travel to watch cas and wouldn't have to travel as far if we played 25 miles away? I dont know any. But you know plenty

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 06 Feb 2021, 14:49

Licensing be back 2022 hence all the one year contracts.
It’s between us and Waki for the chop I’m afraid.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Feb 2021, 15:23

dude wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 14:24

Seriously though, whatever the threat of the loss of SL may be, Donny every other week is beyond many Cas fans, particularly the evening kick-offs. Imagine travelling from Donny late of a Thursday evening on a regular basis. Not for me.

However, we cannot ignore the fact many others, including the powers that be, view the current WR facilities as outdated. Personally, I love the place and would much prefer to see the same approach Fev have taking in improving what was an absolute hell hole into a reasonable modern stadia.

I just think we’re sleepwalking into a big problem. I think it’s a matter of time before licensing is reintroduced in some guise, and when that happens we are stuffed.

I do think most people would travel to Doncaster. It’s a 35 minute drive from WR to the Keepmoat. On the law of averages, that will be further for some but actually closer for others. There is also the distinct possibility that it will draw new supporters from the Doncaster area too. It’s also easier for most away supporters and I’d hazard a guess that any loss of supporters would be made up by new ones and more away ones.

The club could even make some money running coaches from WR to the Keepmoat and back on game days for those who don’t drive. It’s win-win.

(I know it’s not win-win because we’d have to pay to play at Donny. But again, I’d rather see cas in SL at the Keepmoat than in the lower divisions at WR). Loss of SL status with little prospect of getting back into SL would be the end of the club as we know it.
I think you are well out of touch if you think that cas fans would go to Donnie for every home match, what I would suggest is for you to go watch Donnie then you wouldn’t have to worry about the jungle, personally I would prefer to watch such as fev etc at the jungle than watch S/L at Doncaster.
Each to their own, but I would rather see us competing with the best teams in Super League than playing at a semi-professional level.
As for being out of touch, I’m not too sure. I know plenty of people who travel to go to WR who wouldn’t need to travel as far to get to Doncaster. Maybe thinking that all Castleford supporters live within walking distance of Wheldon Road makes you more out of touch than me?
Please tell me how many people you know who travel to watch cas and wouldn't have to travel as far if we played 25 miles away? I dont know any. But you know plenty
Well I know we’re not typical, but it would be quite a bit closer for us!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Feb 2021, 15:24

Mucky1978 wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 14:49 Licensing be back 2022 hence all the one year contracts.
It’s between us and Waki for the chop I’m afraid.
I’ve not seen or heard anything which makes me think that’s likely to happen. What do you know?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Feb 2021, 15:28

About half of the Castleford supporters I know live closer to the Keepmoat than they do to WR.
I’m not saying it’s ideal. My point is that we need to move. The new stadium isn’t going to happen quickly (if at all) and the closest acceptable venue is the Keepmoat.
There is also the option of sharing with Featherstone at Post Office Road if the Keepmoat is too far. Can’t imagine that going down well though.

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 06 Feb 2021, 15:47

nottinghamtiger wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 15:28

About half of the Castleford supporters I know live closer to the Keepmoat than they do to WR.
I’m not saying it’s ideal. My point is that we need to move. The new stadium isn’t going to happen quickly (if at all) and the closest acceptable venue is the Keepmoat.
There is also the option of sharing with Featherstone at Post Office Road if the Keepmoat is too far. Can’t imagine that going down well though.
Thank god we are not running club to accommodate your few freinds think you will find 95% off fans live closer to Wheldon Road.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Feb 2021, 16:06

People would travel to somewhere like Donnie for a short time say if a new ground was being built or Wheldon Rd was being re-built other than that it wouldn't work
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 06 Feb 2021, 17:22

After a year with no paying customers for almost a year and no sign of full houses anytime soon, are other clubs going to vote out a club with one of the most numerous away supporters.
I know people argue about not relying on away support but cash strapped rugby clubs are not going to want to lose vital revenue Cas away following versus Catalans.
We are the eighth best or worst supported team in Super League.
The more successful clubs have better /modern grounds, larger conurbations so increased opportunity for other revenue streams.
Covid will have had a massive impact on finance in every sector.
So no one is going to be throwing cash at the game.
KRs main sponsor is being investigated as there a college,one with financial problems of it's own.
Ken Davy is no youngster and l don't know if he has heirs who would bank roll the giants.
Salfords support is abysmal. Wakefield are possibly in a worse position than ourselves.
Big increases in Council Tax needed for essential services can WMDC justify their position on the loan to Trin.
By default l can't see franchising coming back anytime soon.
Survival will be the name of the game.
Not blind to the grounds shortcomings.
Not totally divorced from financial reality.
Rugby League is a minority sport.
Whilst run by buffoons it will stay that way.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Feb 2021, 18:03

on side wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 15:47
nottinghamtiger wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 15:28

Thank god we are not running club to accommodate your few freinds think you will find 95% off fans live closer to Wheldon Road.
As I say, I’m not suggesting it’s an idea scenario.
What I’m suggesting is that it’s a better option than remaining at WR. The place just isn’t fit for a professional sports team, and we’ll cease to be one if the RFL/SL introduce any criteria around stadiums.
We cannot go on as we are, burying our head in the sand until it’s too late.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 06 Feb 2021, 18:17

If we'd have started doing WR up when we started dreaming of pie in the sky (new ground) I'm sure as a club we could have maybe at least had a couple of new/returned stands by now. I know it's a heart on sleeve thing, but look at the time and money already wasted. A new seating stand with boxes is probably the most important one, and full length of the field opposite Princess street. This would incorporate the boxes and new dressing rooms for starters. The other stands I believe are upgradeable, get rid of the asbestos as ive previously said, new roofing and some new bogs which seems to be the biggest gripe from fans, me not included. Couple of places for beer and pies and anything else. Maybe a new perimeter field fence instead of the railings and who knows. The pitch, well apart from being slightly short is perfect. Like ive said, this could and should have been done over time, and who knows. It's been said a multitude of times that our club is the community and vice versa, and to move would probably be a step too far for some. So let's keep backing our club and be positive. COYF 💪🐯

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Feb 2021, 20:01

All I’ll say is “hindsight is a wonderful thing”...

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 06 Feb 2021, 20:09

Your not wrong Fumper, if only!

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 07 Feb 2021, 01:22

I haven't read every comment, but one thing is for sure comparing the ground we have to others, in this strange situation, we are held back more than those with seats in that we can't guarantee crowd control and distancing, meaning that until random people can group together, we are out of the equation.

Had we seats and stands and a stadia with the modern age in mind we could:
Identify the morons who have thrown things in the past and acted directly, not retrospectively.
Identify the morons who have said/chanted/shouted things directly not retrospectively.
Open our stadium to a capacity deemed safe in the %'s with suitable distance.

We have snoozed on the job I am afraid and with this strange world order, will be penalised.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 08 Feb 2021, 13:11

Fumper27 wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 20:01 All I’ll say is “hindsight is a wonderful thing”...
As is vision, improvement and forward thinking. All this would get rid of the hindsight as there would maybe not be so much to see in hindsight.

Whilst you are happy with what you have you will never improve. Unless of course you are serial winners like Wigan, Saints, Leeds. Bet you they don’t look back and regret what might have been?

Just a comment on the poster that points out we are 8th in best supported club figures. Do you think that is reason enough for anyone to vote for a club to get a franchise? Would that level even get a comment at all?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 08 Feb 2021, 13:43

To be honest, I don’t see how anyone thinks it’s acceptable to be playing at WR in its current state in 2021. It shames the club that we’ve let it fall into such a state of disrepair.
Nothing to do with hindsight; everything to do with inaction and not seeing the bleeding obvious. Those in charge of the club have fixated on a future long-term pipe-dream rather than focus on the present and near future. As a result, they have become complacent and we’ll soon be in a situation where the RFL and/or SL decide we don’t have an stadium fit for the top flight (and they’ll be right too).

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 08 Feb 2021, 14:25

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 13:11
Fumper27 wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 20:01 All I’ll say is “hindsight is a wonderful thing”...
As is vision, improvement and forward thinking. All this would get rid of the hindsight as there would maybe not be so much to see in hindsight.

Whilst you are happy with what you have you will never improve. Unless of course you are serial winners like Wigan, Saints, Leeds. Bet you they don’t look back and regret what might have been?

Just a comment on the poster that points out we are 8th in best supported club figures. Do you think that is reason enough for anyone to vote for a club to get a franchise? Would that level even get a comment at all?
My “hindsight” comment was aimed at them who said we should’ve ground-shared with Wakefield when the idea was first raised way back.

Not one person was for that idea years back and, only now, are people beginning to warm to the idea if it means we stay at the top table.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 08 Feb 2021, 14:33

Fumper27 wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 14:25
Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 13:11

My “hindsight” comment was aimed at them who said we should’ve ground-shared with Wakefield when the idea was first raised way back.

Not one person was for that idea years back and, only now, are people beginning to warm to the idea if it means we stay at the top table.
I'm not going to trawl back 8 years, but I was actually in favour of ground-sharing with Wakefield at the time.
I distinctly remember making the point that if Real Madrid/Athletico Madrid and Inter Milan/AC Milan can share a stadium, there is no reason it shouldn't work for Castleford and Wakefield.

Interestingly (having said I wouldn't search) there is an interesting thread from 2013 about whether the club needed to move out of the area due to the state of WR!

Looking through threads from years ago using the search term 'ground share' does indeed show that plenty of people were in favour of this, which rather rubbishes the 'not one person was for that idea years back' argument. Many were in favour of a joint venture in Normanton.