Who do we want in Super League? (Decision imminent)

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Who do we want in Super League? (Decision imminent)

Post by daytona » 14 Dec 2020, 18:20

Scoopage wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 15:55 Q cas v Leigh first game of the season
If it’s like last time they came up bring it on. They brought a massive following, and brought a great atmosphere and we put a big score on em!

ricardo07

Post by ricardo07 » 15 Dec 2020, 11:57

For some reason the RFL usually give Wakefield Trinity the first game against the newly promoted club with the game played at the home of the newly promoted club.

However could also be a home derby v Wigan this time.

We will have to wait and see.

Great to have some rugby though so fingers crossed that spectators will soon be watching again.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Dec 2020, 13:00

ricardo07 wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 11:57 For some reason the RFL usually give Wakefield Trinity the first game against the newly promoted club with the game played at the home of the newly promoted club.

Great to have some rugby though so fingers crossed that spectators will soon be watching again.
We got Leigh at home when they were promoted in 2017

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Dec 2020, 13:14

ricardo07 wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 11:57 For some reason the RFL usually give Wakefield Trinity the first game against the newly promoted club with the game played at the home of the newly promoted club.

First fixtures for promoted clubs since promotion and relegation was re-introduced and a new club joined SL:
2020 - Toronto v Castleford (technically away, but at Leeds)
2019 - London v Wakefield
2018 - Wakefield v Hull KR
2017 - Castleford v Leigh.

They certainly like to pit newly promoted teams against us an Wakefield to start the season.

I suspect they will save derby games for later in the season next year, when spectators are more likely to be allowed to attend in higher numbers. We won’t see the games that often draw large attendances until at least June/July I don’t think.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on 15 Dec 2020, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 15 Dec 2020, 13:14

Personally I would prefer to see 3 teams brought up and make it a 14 team SL and scrap the loop fixtures, I get the argument about the lack of quality to go round etc, but ultimately I think it has more to do with sharing the cash 14 ways that it doesnt happen.

As a fan I would rather play 2 extra teams home and away than play a load of teams 3 times.

Just my opinion that is all....................

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Dec 2020, 13:16

Anglo wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 14:24
on side wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 00:22
MrRugby123 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 20:21 York for me, they have something new and exciting going on there. Featherstone would just get battered every week in super league due to finances and current squad so it’s a no from me for them.
want makes you think york wont get battered every week less then fev very strange comment.
Yes this was a very strange comment, Fev played York four times last year, losing one of the games by four points and battering York on the other three occasions.
I'd be surprised if Leigh win more than 4-5 games all next season maybe a blessing in disguise for the team that wins the championship grand final and takes there place in ten months time
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Dec 2020, 13:20

As of yet, leigh don’t have the players at SL standard..
They need a lot of recruiting to be done if they have any chance of staying up.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Dec 2020, 13:22

westyorkylad wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 13:14 Personally I would prefer to see 3 teams brought up and make it a 14 team SL and scrap the loop fixtures, I get the argument about the lack of quality to go round etc, but ultimately I think it has more to do with sharing the cash 14 ways that it doesnt happen.

As a fan I would rather play 2 extra teams home and away than play a load of teams 3 times.

Just my opinion that is all....................
I would also be in favour of this.
I think there is a fear of creating a mini-league at the bottom, but to me that’s better than one team being whipping boys for the rest of the league. Put two extra teams in SL and you create interest at both ends of the table. Games involving relegation candidates can be as exciting and dramatic as games involving those at the top end of the table, and that’s good for the game as a whole (even if it’s not great for the clubs involved!).
At the moment, for example, you’d be hard pressed to think Leigh will finish anywhere other than adrift at the bottom next season. But add in two of the other clubs who applied for SL status and the league suddenly becomes far more interesting as a competition.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Dec 2020, 13:25

tigerfeat wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 13:16
Anglo wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 14:24
on side wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 00:22
MrRugby123 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 20:21 York for me, they have something new and exciting going on there. Featherstone would jusjt get battered every week in super league due to finances and current squad so it’s a no from me for them.
want makes you think york wont get battered every week less then fev very strange comment.
Yes this was a very strange comment, Fev played York four times last year, losing one of the games by four points and battering York on the other three occasions.
I'd be surprised if Leigh win more than 4-5 games all next season maybe a blessing in disguise for the team that wins the championship grand final and takes there place in ten months time
The problem is that whoever replaces them in 10 months will be in the same position. We’ll end up with two or three yo-yo clubs who just swap places with each other as whipping boys for the rest of SL, creating massive financial difficulties for those clubs.
Once that’s happened for a few seasons we’ll be back to licensing.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 15 Dec 2020, 13:34

I agree with a lot of what is said about the 14 teams and the environment it creates - that is what I meant on another thread where I said, this just feels tactical for Leigh to fill a spot in a concocted fixture list for a season.

If the only issue is money going 14 ways, but actually 14 is the right number for home and away and a proper plan for the next 3-5 years - then so be it. But again, it is so tactical and hand to mouth.

If the plan is Toronto come back, Toulouse are coming - then say so now. Let everyone know what they're working with for a couple of years. I have nothing against Leigh, ground is good, but poor to access unless you drive, but if they're playing SL for a year to make up the loop fixtures, just don't bother...... Or if we are trying to get to 14 teams, say so.
I think universally the 12 teams and loop fixtures in considered stupid.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Dec 2020, 13:45

mdean wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 13:34 I agree with a lot of what is said about the 14 teams and the environment it creates - that is what I meant on another thread where I said, this just feels tactical for Leigh to fill a spot in a concocted fixture list for a season.

If the only issue is money going 14 ways, but actually 14 is the right number for home and away and a proper plan for the next 3-5 years - then so be it. But again, it is so tactical and hand to mouth.

If the plan is Toronto come back, Toulouse are coming - then say so now. Let everyone know what they're working with for a couple of years. I have nothing against Leigh, ground is good, but poor to access unless you drive, but if they're playing SL for a year to make up the loop fixtures, just don't bother...... Or if we are trying to get to 14 teams, say so.
I think universally the 12 teams and loop fixtures in considered stupid.
People often mention this sharing of cash, but in the long run I think 14 teams will be good for the game and therefore result in more lucrative TV deals and sponsorship etc.
In sport, everyone loves a good relegation battle. You see as much coverage of games involving relegation candidates as games involving title-contenders, and far more than the regular mid-table v mid-table games we have in the current system.
There won’t be much coverage or interest in many Leigh games next season, especially if they become marooned at the bottom of the league.
But if we had Leigh, Toulouse and London (just randomly picking another two clubs who applied), that’s already 6 games that are likely to generate interest.
At the moment, the structure breeds mediocrity. Loop fixtures are a way to generate extra fixtures, but are inherently against the ‘level playing field’ needed for a sport to be credible. Imagine telling football fans that they would be playing some teams twice and some teams thrice - it’s ridiculous, but we’ve just got used to the stupidity of it.
Then we have a ‘top 6’ play-off system, but that actually involves half the league. Giving a team who finished mid-way down the table a shot at winning the competition based on three knock-out games is stupid - again, it’s rewarding the very definition of mediocrity.
Unfortunately we’ve moved away from so many elements that are key to making a sport successful.