Discussion point (if you want).

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Keithy
Dean Widders
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Keithy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:17 pm

So we have today signed James Clare on a 1 year contract for 2021.

He is the 10th player that we have signed this past few weeks all of which have been given a single years' contract. Admittedly, two of these are on loan from the Giants, six are contract extensions and the remaining two are new signings. The only player to be given a longer contract is Gareth O'Brien on a 3 year deal. I believe I'm correct in saying that even Nial Evalds has only signed up for 1 year.

In my mind Clare, Smith, Bienek, Hepi and Millington's 1 year deals are correct but surely Jaques O'Neill and Ollie Holmes deserve longer contracts should they have wanted such. Evalds should have a 5 year deal.

My concern is that at the end of 2021 there is a possibility that half of our squad will be out of contract and we will be up the creek without a paddle.

I assume that most of Cas fans will think I'm wrong but as the title says it's a discussion point if you want.

HuddsTigers
Malcolm Reilly
Posts: 15664
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by HuddsTigers » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:22 pm

The situation with a new TV deal is up in there. We may either need to cut budgets due to low income coming into the club or we will be in a fantastic position of having lots of cap space for a big recruitment year. Sensible business planning and either way, win win, as long as it is used effectively.

The likes of O'Neill and Evalds can also get better deals as well if we can maintain our cap spend.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Fumper27
Dale Fritz
Posts: 7881
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Fumper27 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:22 pm

Only Matagi is on loan from Huddersfield. Jordan Turner joined us permanently, albeit on a 1 year deal.

LeagueLeaders
Dean Widders
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by LeagueLeaders » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 pm

I haven't seen much about the contracts but are any "with the option to extend.." in whoever's favour? If Cas have given 1 year deals but get first dibs beyond that then it's not bad business at all. Only worry is that if this isn't the case then other clubs can easily swoop in and take some of our starting 17.

Tigerman2014
Dean Widders
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Tigerman2014 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:38 pm

I believe Evalds and O’Neill will both sign longer contracts as we get into next season as will a few more Holmes,Griffin,Massey etc Millo and Sheno more then likely retire and JSL will head home

Mucky1978
Danny Orr
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Mucky1978 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm

50/50 if we are getting a super league licence big year indeed.
Heard it’s between us and Waki to be cut.

Tigerman2014
Dean Widders
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Tigerman2014 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:41 pm

Where has this about licensing come from ?? Plus we’ve achieved far more then Wakey have during super league

nottinghamtiger
Michael Eagar
Posts: 4765
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by nottinghamtiger » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:25 pm

The only one I think is a bit strange is Evalds. It was always going to cause murmurings that he was only here for a year before going to [insert club here].
My understanding is that it is more to do with the salary cap and a deal behind 2021 is already agreed, but I’m not too sure about that to be completely honest.
For too long, we’ve given out multi-year deals only to see a player’s performance drop as soon as the ink is dry. Top players like Watts, McShane, Richardson and Trueman need to be on multiple-year contracts, but not the whole squad.

MrRugby123
Junior Moors
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by MrRugby123 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 pm

When will people stop moaning, we moan when we give you players long term contracts and we moan when we give them short term contracts. Yes cas have a shocking ground and facilities but we won’t be pushed out of super league just for that. Cas have a great following home and away compared to some in the league and is a desirable club to some top players like Evalds, Richardson, Hardaker and watts that want to come play here. Finances are tough for all clubs at the moment so they’re not gonna kick an established super league club out of the league.

Fumper27
Dale Fritz
Posts: 7881
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Fumper27 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:39 pm

Mucky1978 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm
50/50 if we are getting a super league licence big year indeed.
Heard it’s between us and Waki to be cut.
When was it announced that licensing is coming back? I must’ve missed that one.

Pricey2000
Sean Rudder
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:38 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Pricey2000 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Keithy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:17 pm
So we have today signed James Clare on a 1 year contract for 2021.

He is the 10th player that we have signed this past few weeks all of which have been given a single years' contract. Admittedly, two of these are on loan from the Giants, six are contract extensions and the remaining two are new signings. The only player to be given a longer contract is Gareth O'Brien on a 3 year deal. I believe I'm correct in saying that even Nial Evalds has only signed up for 1 year.

In my mind Clare, Smith, Bienek, Hepi and Millington's 1 year deals are correct but surely Jaques O'Neill and Ollie Holmes deserve longer contracts should they have wanted such. Evalds should have a 5 year deal.

My concern is that at the end of 2021 there is a possibility that half of our squad will be out of contract and we will be up the creek without a paddle.

I assume that most of Cas fans will think I'm wrong but as the title says it's a discussion point if you want.
Turner signed a contract with us he’s with us on a 1 year deal we’re signing players on 1 year deals because of the covid situation until we know what money we’ve got this will be reviewed at the middle point in the season Evalds has an option of a 3 year extension in his contract once finances are sorted so I’d expect the others will sign new contracts middle of the season or even towards the back end of the season

User avatar
Nobody
Danny Orr
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:21 am

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by Nobody » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:33 am

Mucky1978 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm
50/50 if we are getting a super league licence big year indeed.
Heard it’s between us and Waki to be cut.
Quite possible if the article is true about Nrl buying a stake in super league.
🐯 COYF!

on side
Dean Widders
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by on side » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:35 am

HuddsTigers wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:22 pm
The situation with a new TV deal is up in there. We may either need to cut budgets due to low income coming into the club or we will be in a fantastic position of having lots of cap space for a big recruitment year. Sensible business planning and either way, win win, as long as it is used effectively.

The likes of O'Neill and Evalds can also get better deals as well if we can maintain our cap spend.
Evalds off to saints reason for is one year deal. Other one year deals probaly getting new ground confirmed so have more money to make better signings. 🙄🙄🙄

tigerfeat
Dean Sampson
Posts: 10332
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by tigerfeat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:38 am

Mucky1978 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm
50/50 if we are getting a super league licence big year indeed.
Heard it’s between us and Waki to be cut.
You just made that up ant you ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Dean Sampson
Posts: 10332
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Discussion point (if you want).

Post by tigerfeat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 am

NRL wanting 50% of super league for 75million be a interesting move if it happens ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Post Reply