Club Vacancies

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Club Vacancies

Post by nottinghamtiger » 30 Nov 2020, 21:27

I see the club have advertised for three scholarship coaches.
One to focus on strength and conditioning. Salary: £0. Though you have to have a degree.
Then a head coach and assistant coach. It doesn’t mention the salary in the advert.

And then we wonder why were are so far behind. We continue to want qualified people to work for free. Firstly, what sort of quality does that attract? Secondly, what sort of message does that send out to young players about the club?

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Club Vacancies

Post by derbystiger » 30 Nov 2020, 21:31

If I remember rightly, this isn’t the first time. Wasn’t there a physio position or something similar advertised as salary zero last year? Some people tried justifying saying people at uni would be wanting to apply for ‘job experience’.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 30 Nov 2020, 21:32

derbystiger wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 21:31 If I remember rightly, this isn’t the first time. Wasn’t there a physio position or something similar advertised as salary zero last year? Some people tried justifying saying people at uni would be wanting to apply for ‘job experience’.
There have been a few. There was a physio/conditioning post and a mental skills coach (think that was how they described it).

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Nov 2020, 21:35

I believe this was referenced last season as well with some positions being free internships or volunteers.

Cas sadly aren't the only ones either. Pretty common amongst grads to rely on voluntary to get "experience". I know there have been calls on a political level for it to stop. It is surely worth a few bob anyway, even on a part time wage.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 30 Nov 2020, 21:38

HuddsTigers wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 21:35 I believe this was referenced last season as well with some positions being free internships or volunteers.

Cas sadly aren't the only ones either. Pretty common amongst grads to rely on voluntary to get "experience". I know there have been calls on a political level for it to stop. It is surely worth a few bob anyway, even on a part time wage.
It’s an odd one. You’d never expect qualified professionals in other sectors to work for free, no matter how recently they have qualified.
In fact, working for free would be more likely to damage future prospects. ‘Why couldn’t they get a paid job?’ would be the first question on the lips of any prospective future employer.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Nov 2020, 21:46

The additional perspective to that is that it is great they were willing to do that but also means a company offering a job after could offer a lower salary too, knowing full well they can get a suitably qualified person willing to accept anything just to get into the industry.

I think we will see this more in coming 18 months as grads leave uni into a mess of an economy and all the experienced unemployed look to take on any work to pay the bills.

I wouldn't expect all that much for 2 nights a week or whatever it is but surely minimum wage isn't all that much either?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 30 Nov 2020, 21:56

if our conditioner is working for free hence the treatment tables being over used

Classycas62

Post by Classycas62 » 30 Nov 2020, 22:37

gateman wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 21:56 if our conditioner is working for free hence the treatment tables being over used
I used to know cas sports massage therapist who worked for free

Classycas62

Post by Classycas62 » 30 Nov 2020, 22:40

I hope we can get a new conditioner and rehab set up in place for next year,its so crucial these days. Its unacceptable to have that many injuries this year

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 01 Dec 2020, 11:56

If the current conditioner is paid on a performance/results basis he will owe the club money.

Cheap and nasty never ever works.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Dec 2020, 11:16

It's not entirely a free post. You will get free entry to all matches, free clothing and a chance to shape the future of the club. They'll put you through any courses required.

All in all, if you wanted it, a better cv to apply for paid posts.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 07 Dec 2020, 12:16

It's not a job vacancy has such, it to allow a student to work alongside professional physios and conditioners, my relative did it last year, as part of her curriculum, and we aren't the only club who do it.