2020 out v 2021 in

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 2020 out v 2021 in

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Dec 2020, 13:23

CasRus wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 13:08
nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 12:29
CasRus wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 23:16
westerbeast73 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 21:25
LeagueLeaders wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 20:52 Wouldn't be signing Livett or having Olpherts at centre. We need an out and out player to play in their positions. Not a utility or a square peg
I would prefer another centre but it boils down to money. Both Feki and Olpherts have played centre in the past for other clubs so both could do a job there. Anyone but Shenton now for me, he's past it.
I tend to agree about Shenny as he was sadly lacking in the games he played and looks well past it for pace - sorry to be so harsh on a well respected player who has been good for most of his years however the thing that really showed him up was when he faced Israel Folau and Folau made Shenny look like a pack horse when he zipped round him and then left him in his trail looking like a three legged donkey in his wake ! Can't afford that to happen again in tight games especially ! Only saying !
Shenton isn’t the first to be made to look poor by Folau, and he won’t be the last. It’s what world class players can do when they are on form.
We’ve just not had a world class centre since Richie Blackmore.
My worry isn’t that Folau made Shenton look poor. It’s that many other centres did too.
What DP should be looking for is a fast paced rangey and tall kind of centre with sizeable bulk to be able to combat the likes of Folau in defense and especially for fielding the up and under which players like Folau are good at in catching and scoring and where said player also poses an offensive threat (which exactly describes Folau as he is !) - what we have got in at the moment including said person from Oz who everyone wants to shift to second row does not answer the question of requirement unfortunately, so this position still needs addressing I am of the opinion of (has John Joyner not had a kid that fits this bill ...ha ha !! I wish !).
The issue is that such a player doesn’t exist. The reason Folau is so dangerous is because he’s the best centre in SL, if not the best in the world. You can’t just go out and find someone who can nullify someone like Israel Falou. He’s a special player who can make almost every other centre look poor when he’s on form. The only way to deal with him is to try and double-up on him in defence and put as many bodies as possible around him when defending an attacking kick.

But whist we can’t go out and sign someone who can get the better of Falou, I’m sure we can sign someone good enough to match most centres in SL. I’d still like to see us bring in Liam Sutcliffe - I wasn’t keen on the idea at first, but he’s a decent player who will hold his own and could improve. Also willing to see how Turner gets on - he’s a highly experienced player with a good attitude. But he’s not a long-term answer to that position.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 17 Dec 2020, 15:30

nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 13:23
CasRus wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 13:08
nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 12:29
CasRus wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 23:16
westerbeast73 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 21:25

I would prefer another centre but it boils down to money. Both Feki and Olpherts have played centre in the past for other clubs so both could do a job there. Anyone but Shenton now for me, he's past it.
I tend to agree about Shenny as he was sadly lacking in the games he played and looks well past it for pace - sorry to be so harsh on a well respected player who has been good for most of his years however the thing that really showed him up was when he faced Israel Folau and Folau made Shenny look like a pack horse when he zipped round him and then left him in his trail looking like a three legged donkey in his wake ! Can't afford that to happen again in tight games especially ! Only saying !
Shenton isn’t the first to be made to look poor by Folau, and he won’t be the last. It’s what world class players can do when they are on form.
We’ve just not had a world class centre since Richie Blackmore.
My worry isn’t that Folau made Shenton look poor. It’s that many other centres did too.
What DP should be looking for is a fast paced rangey and tall kind of centre with sizeable bulk to be able to combat the likes of Folau in defense and especially for fielding the up and under which players like Folau are good at in catching and scoring and where said player also poses an offensive threat (which exactly describes Folau as he is !) - what we have got in at the moment including said person from Oz who everyone wants to shift to second row does not answer the question of requirement unfortunately, so this position still needs addressing I am of the opinion of (has John Joyner not had a kid that fits this bill ...ha ha !! I wish !).
The issue is that such a player doesn’t exist. The reason Folau is so dangerous is because he’s the best centre in SL, if not the best in the world. You can’t just go out and find someone who can nullify someone like Israel Falou. He’s a special player who can make almost every other centre look poor when he’s on form. The only way to deal with him is to try and double-up on him in defence and put as many bodies as possible around him when defending an attacking kick.

But whist we can’t go out and sign someone who can get the better of Falou, I’m sure we can sign someone good enough to match most centres in SL. I’d still like to see us bring in Liam Sutcliffe - I wasn’t keen on the idea at first, but he’s a decent player who will hold his own and could improve. Also willing to see how Turner gets on - he’s a highly experienced player with a good attitude. But he’s not a long-term answer to that position.
Yes he's class, however I tend to think there are players out there that can at least negate most of the danger of Falou, him being the typical yardstick to base the requirement needed and yes it does need some defense assistance at times of near the try- line kicks also when the likes of Falou are jumping to retrieve the ball and keeping them held - just need someone decent enough and Sutcliffe in the interim could be an answer with a bit more of coaching from DP.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Dec 2020, 16:40

all in all, we look stronger than we were last year we should be able to get into the top four injuries permitting

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Dec 2020, 21:12

my wife and I have been called in for the covid jab things are looking good for a return back to being able to go to matches again get your season tickets COME ON YE FORD

True-supporter
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by True-supporter » 18 Dec 2020, 21:29

How can we look stronger we have a ageing team. And are forwards look to small.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Dec 2020, 21:43

True-supporter wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 21:29 How can we look stronger we have a ageing team. And are forwards look to small.
i should think the forwards we have brought in are pound for pound as big as the ones that have left last year with no fault of their own we hardly saw Moors and Cook with the backs we have brought in we look stronger in that department

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 Dec 2020, 21:58

True-supporter wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 21:29 How can we look stronger we have a ageing team. And are forwards look to small.
Because the players coming in are better than those going out?

Ageing squad:

Matt Cook 34 v Lewis Bienek 22
Junior Moors 34 v Sui Matagi 32
Jordan Rankin 29 v Niall Evalds 27

Sorry to present a few truths to ruin your make-belief “facts”!!!
Last edited by Fumper27 on 18 Dec 2020, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 18 Dec 2020, 22:16

Fumper27 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 21:58

Ageing squad:

Sorry to let present a few truths to ruin your make-belief “facts”!!!
Can’t please everyone mate, most people think we’re gonna sign players like josh Papali, If they understood the process that Daryl likes to make players better then they wouldn’t be complaining. This year has been our best recruitment in a long time signing one of the leagues top players in Niall Evalds. We have got rid of big earners and also got a quota spot free which will be used at a valuable time in the season when required.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 Dec 2020, 22:21

MrRugby123 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 22:16
Fumper27 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 21:58

Ageing squad:

Sorry to let present a few truths to ruin your make-belief “facts”!!!
Can’t please everyone mate, most people think we’re gonna sign players like josh Papali, If they understood the process that Daryl likes to make players better then they wouldn’t be complaining. This year has been our best recruitment in a long time signing one of the leagues top players in Niall Evalds. We have got rid of big earners and also got a quota spot free which will be used at a valuable time in the season when required.
Please take a break from this forum. Common sense views such as yours are not allowed 😏😏