Very curious but not furious

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Very curious but not furious

Post by Tigersbarmy » 22 Nov 2020, 22:05

Anyone tell me how hull kr can sign/afford players from NRL but we can’t ?

We’re so much on the decline and facts so that we are with league positions as we have fell below position every year , our recruitment and contract retention is the worst in the league . Saying that i don’t think we’re in a rush to sign NRL players , the last two haven’t been cracking . We are slowly falling behind , some people and the club will try con you that this year was a one off but I think we’ve got serious problems. Oh btw we need a better conditioner than Jamie bell

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Very curious but not furious

Post by Tigerman2014 » 22 Nov 2020, 22:07

We’re looking British at the moment seems to be the plan could be Bienek and Luckley on board and that’s your lot if we do sign anyone

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 22 Nov 2020, 22:21

Not sure about year on year decline
Improvement definitely required but last year we finished one win away from Old Trafford.

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 22 Nov 2020, 22:37

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 22:21 Not sure about year on year decline
Improvement definitely required but last year we finished one win away from Old Trafford.
If memory serves I remember us just pinching 5th from Hull on points difference after we somehow managed to hammer them. Year before that we finished comfortably in 3rd and very comfortably in 1st the year before that. Going from that to 9th this year is a big decline. I disagree we'll be fighting relegation but I'd be surprised if we're in top half of the table.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 22 Nov 2020, 22:46

2017: 1st
2018: 3rd
2019: 5th
2020:9th

That is a fact that we have declined ? How can you suggest otherwise? We’re not going further away from where we want to be ! Them league positions are proof that our squad , recruitment and contract retention isn’t good enough !!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 22 Nov 2020, 23:06

OK we’ll just go on league position then and you’re right.
Mind you this Forum was full of moans at the end of the year we finished top too.
I think I said that we needed to improve at the beginning of my post but there you go.
If the way we finished 5th at the end of a proper season is so important to the argument though I have no idea how anyone can either confirm or deny that we deserved to finish 9th after this year’s shambles of a season

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 22 Nov 2020, 23:31

Why would we not go on league position? It's the only thing that matters. Are you the type that loses a game and goes "ooh well there were some positives"? Doesn't make you a bad fan or a moaner to point out the obvious, that we have continually fallen further down the ladder over the last few years. Also I'd imagine the 'moans' were about the grand final, not the league position.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 22 Nov 2020, 23:44

Thank you mate , that’s 100% what I’m trying to say . You could have all the superstars in your team but end of the day the league position is what counts . Is there anyone on this forum that think we should have gave Shenton a 2 year deal or james Clare a new deal ?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 22 Nov 2020, 23:58

I suppose there are some other indicators of performance other than position in the league table.
For example, I’d happily finish a bit lower in the league and win the Challenge Cup.
However, that’s not happened. We haven’t even made a semi-final.
Every possible performance indicator shows the decline.
I do think we need to take this season as a bit of an exception. But the decline between the end of 2017 and the end of 2019 was already evident.
On a positive note, in 2018 we were still one win away from the grand final. Likewise, in 2019 we were two wins away. We were still giving ourselves a chance and finishing in the play-offs.
If we can get some momentum, avoid injuries and our key players ‘click’, we are still very capable of winning something.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 23 Nov 2020, 00:45

Don’t think we will ever win anything while Jamie bell is at the club , players consistently getting injured in training it’s a joke , was cheap option promoting him when Ben left . We need another centre shenny is finished , and need some props but apart from that we’re ok . Gaz obrien was good capture

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 23 Nov 2020, 00:56

If we were well below the cap and just could not afford to spend full cap poor recruitment could be forgiven. But when we are spending up to full cap questions have to be asked on management and recruitment staff. No way we should have gone any way near Blair with is injury record but we did because we panicked buyed always waiting till cracks get to big not recruiting right players start off season. same will happen this season gamble save money hoping what we have will do till half way through season then start signing crap on again. For me a total clear out of a coach and recruitment management and start again before too late.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 23 Nov 2020, 01:01

Great post mate , I’ve got 2003-2004 vibes all over this . Look how badly we recruited and where we ended up . Blair and feki have been terrible signings and are probably both together on 200k . Hull Kr come dead bottom and both Albert vete and korbin Simms would get in our team . Says in league express wakey are looking at a forward form down under . We are falling behind cas , wake up !!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 23 Nov 2020, 01:06

Tigersbarmy wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 01:01 Great post mate , I’ve got 2003-2004 vibes all over this . Look how badly we recruited and where we ended up . Blair and feki have been terrible signings and are probably both together on 200k . Hull Kr come dead bottom and both Albert vete and korbin Simms would get in our team . Says in league express wakey are looking at a forward form down under . We are falling behind cas , wake up !!!
Hull KR have also signed Kane Linnett and Shaun Kenny-Dowell in the past two years. Both would be starting centres in our team.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Nov 2020, 08:03

Hull KR have let absolutely loads go.

They also have Masoe's cap space to use since his awful career-ending injury meant he missed last year.

Garbutt will have been on decent money too as a forward.

So if they have let in 12 but only bring in 3 or 4 players, then financially they may be saving. And I'd add that they may sign NRL players but it matters zero if you have no squad depth and get injuries.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Nov 2020, 08:32

After the last two dud signings from the NRL I wouldn't think we would be in a rush to put another player on big money from the NRL
Were weak looking in the centres because of mistakes Shenton shouldn't have been given two years more and Blair if he as a role it will be in the forwards
I don't know how people know we won't be making more signings Powell said he wanted to bring 2 or 3 more players in few weeks ago
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 23 Nov 2020, 10:20

HuddsTigers wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 08:03 Hull KR have let absolutely loads go.

So if they have let in 12 but only bring in 3 or 4 players, then financially they may be saving. And I'd add that they may sign NRL players but it matters zero if you have no squad depth and get injuries.
So they've looked at the squad, dropped some dead weight and put that money into top quality additions. Something Cas could do to think about.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 23 Nov 2020, 10:31

tigerfeat wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 08:32 After the last two dud signings from the NRL I wouldn't think we would be in a rush to put another player on big money from the NRL
Were weak looking in the centres because of mistakes Shenton shouldn't have been given two years more and Blair if he as a role it will be in the forwards
I don't know how people know we won't be making more signings Powell said he wanted to bring 2 or 3 more players in few weeks ago
i am with you mate we have had our fingers burnt with our last two overseas signings James Clare and Shenton these two have easily been more value for money if we do not sort out our off field training and conditioning we will be in for a long season

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 23 Nov 2020, 10:37

Are injury record from training in recent years has been absolutely shocking and nothing seems to have been done about this . Greg Eden is the best winger at the club for me and deserves his starting number back . Should have let Shenton go last year and tried for sarginson . We’ve got all that money wasted on feki and I would rather have someone like joe burgess or tom Davies any day of the week and would be cheaper too . We need to stop rewarding players that don’t deserve contracts and have had there day like Shenton and milo . We’re knackered if we get a couple of props that are injured .

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 23 Nov 2020, 11:28

Where we fell behind was when we seemed to sign up every player Luke Gales agent offered us. Then he got rid of his/our main player to our main rival and then won the cup...

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 23 Nov 2020, 11:50

Let’s not panic yet, this super league season isn’t officially over yet so we’ve got a long way to go before we see what our squads like next season. The biggest worry for me is our recent injury record, if we have similar injuries to this year and last year we’ll be about 7-9 place in the table but if we can keep the majority fit I think we have the ability to be pushing for play off success. I’d happily take 2 English forwards with another overseas forward and an overseas line breaking centre (chase Stanley). If those targets are meet we are definitely in for a good year especially if us fans can return.