Toronto out who will replace them ?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Toronto out who will replace them ?

Post by gateman » 03 Nov 2020, 21:19

For me, London stands the best chance the powers that be love a team in the capital the ground they play on is not fit for purpose but they boast a number of amateur clubs in London they see it as an expansion area. What's your thoughts?

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Toronto out who will replace them ?

Post by Tigerade » 03 Nov 2020, 21:44

I order of preference.....

London (great last year)
York (doubt they would even apply)
Bradford (still building under Kear)
Leigh (favourites to get promoted IMO)
Newcastle (see York)
Widnes (still building)
Toulouse (good derby for Les Cats)

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 03 Nov 2020, 21:45

Some will argue that London hasn't worked since their inception due to not being able to settle in a permanent location darnt earth. I think it has in some respect, in that there are quiet a few amateur teams down there and it is being played in the schools. Ive also got to add that it's only a trip down the M1 which is more accessible to the average clubs supporters than Toronto.....

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 03 Nov 2020, 21:54

Toulouse seems the obvious choice as they are top of their league, bring the most competition and are recruiting well so are almost setting themselves up to be in superleague next year anyway.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 03 Nov 2020, 22:02

All I'll say is "keep a open mind " it's the RFL we're on about!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 03 Nov 2020, 22:09

LeagueLeaders wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 21:54 Toulouse seems the obvious choice as they are top of their league, bring the most competition and are recruiting well so are almost setting themselves up to be in superleague next year anyway.
They are only top of the league because they have played more games (5 rather than 4). It’s hardly enough to say this gives them a right to promotion.
The two clubs with the strongest argument for promotion (I think) are Featherstone and London. Featherstone because they were the beaten finalists last season. London because they are the most recent team to play in SL and they were competitive.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 03 Nov 2020, 22:23

nottinghamtiger wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 22:09
LeagueLeaders wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 21:54 Toulouse seems the obvious choice as they are top of their league, bring the most competition and are recruiting well so are almost setting themselves up to be in superleague next year anyway.
They are only top of the league because they have played more games (5 rather than 4). It’s hardly enough to say this gives them a right to promotion.
The two clubs with the strongest argument for promotion (I think) are Featherstone and London. Featherstone because they were the beaten finalists last season. London because they are the most recent team to play in SL and they were competitive.
Bringing Featherstone up would mean another team in our area, we don’t need that for our sport, the choice for me would be London as they have a solid coach and past super league experience. The game needs to be in our capital and last time London was in the league they added something different and was unlucky to go down.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 03 Nov 2020, 23:10

If they have to bring someone up I’d have to go for London also as I think having a side in the capital in SL is more beneficial to any other. Plus, the pub up the road from the ground had the best beer garden in the league last season! Still think we should roll with 11 for next season though, no relegation, start the season a bit later, have a few bye weeks and promote on merit for 2022. How that would affect season ticket prices etc.. I haven’t a clue but it wouldn’t matter to SKY as they’d still be showing the same amount of games they always have.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 03 Nov 2020, 23:28

Oooooooh yes bring London back, you can guarantee 5 away supporters for each match away from London ](*,)

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 03 Nov 2020, 23:37

westerbeast73 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:28 Oooooooh yes bring London back, you can guarantee 5 away supporters for each match away from London ](*,)
That just begs the question - should clubs have to rely on away supporters? My opinion is no, it should be the clubs responsibility to get their own fans through the gates and the away following should be a bonus on top.

Oh, and Toronto would have bought thousands hey, as would Toulouse, as do Catalans!

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 03 Nov 2020, 23:45

derbystiger wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:37
westerbeast73 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:28 Oooooooh yes bring London back, you can guarantee 5 away supporters for each match away from London ](*,)
That just begs the question - should clubs have to rely on away supporters? My opinion is no, it should be the clubs responsibility to get their own fans through the gates and the away following should be a bonus on top.

Oh, and Toronto would have bought thousands hey, as would Toulouse, as do Catalans!
Never wanted Toronto anyway for the same reason. Any club would rather a good home and away support it makes an atmosphere you know. Makes the game more enjoyable, bit of banter etc. Would rather see the Jungle packed than 2/3 full that's for sure.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Nov 2020, 00:00

westerbeast73 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:45

Never wanted Toronto anyway for the same reason. Any club would rather a good home and away support it makes an atmosphere you know. Makes the game more enjoyable, bit of banter etc. Would rather see the Jungle packed than 2/3 full that's for sure.
I’d rather have 6 London supporters than 1000 from Featherstone.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 04 Nov 2020, 00:54

westerbeast73 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:45

At least we agree on Toronto - I never wanted them either, glad they've gone. However, as Notts has said, I'd rather 6 from London than 1000 from Fev.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 04 Nov 2020, 06:16

Prefer London to get the nod,however how many of last year's side is still there?, It's a big rebuild for them.

However to keep the expansionists onside they will choose Toulouse. The Fev chairman's statement isn't exactly going to win over the S.L clubs is it?!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Nov 2020, 08:17

Toulouse have been making some good signings for a championship side wonder if theve all ready been told it will be them
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 04 Nov 2020, 11:34

tigerfeat wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 08:17 Toulouse have been making some good signings for a championship side wonder if theve all ready been told it will be them
I doubt it. They'll just be pushing for promotion as top Championship teams do. But signing players like Winterstein, Taia, Peyroux.. shows they're definitely going for it

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 05 Nov 2020, 13:36

duke street 10 wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 06:16 Prefer London to get the nod,however how many of last year's side is still there?, It's a big rebuild for them.

However to keep the expansionists onside they will choose Toulouse. The Fev chairman's statement isn't exactly going to win over the S.L clubs is it?!
Just read the chairman's statement, clearly attended the Bernard Manning school of tact and diplomacy. Where I would agree with him is that whoever replaces Toronto should be decided on the pitch and not by some arbitrary decision made by the RFL. Clubs need to earn the right rather than having it giftwrapped.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 05 Nov 2020, 14:06

According to the local paper, York are going to apply.

They have a new ground, they have recently signed some decent ex SL players, they have a vg coach, and finished in the top 4 in 2019, so they have a fair chance of being accepted.

LeeThorpe898
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeeThorpe898 » 05 Nov 2020, 14:52

Never been a fan of expansion but I can't deny that catalans have been a success. However Toronto has just been a complete failure having an owner pretty much fund everything is never going to work. Then blowing most of there salary cap on Sonny Bill and not having enough depth in there squad was a joke. So yeah a team in London would be great if done right or maybe promote one of the Championship teams to replace them.