Present Climate

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Present Climate

Post by gateman » 05 Oct 2020, 19:46

praise most go out to the unsung heroes that keep the amateur game going throughout the game there are thousands of people doing their bit to keep our game alive giving their time for free and helping in many other ways, some people never give a thought to were the players start their careers Normanton before the pandemic were running 16 teams kids to open age plus ladies teams these teams need refs playing kit and fields to play on the list could go on

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 05 Oct 2020, 20:01

Percy White at Normy modern school was a fantastic bloke who took us to play other schools after hours and always made sure we got home. When we joined up with the Normy Grammar school they made us play union and only a couple of us got in the team, but we soon got fed up of it, totally different game and not as enjoyable with the new sports teachers and some of the snobby kids. Went in to throwing the javelin for the school and old chalkey White use to let me take one home to practice on the playing fields down Altofts, can you imagine that being allowed nowadays!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Oct 2020, 20:22

Tigers1926 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 20:01 Percy White at Normy modern school was a fantastic bloke who took us to play other schools after hours and always made sure we got home. When we joined up with the Normy Grammar school they made us play union and only a couple of us got in the team, but we soon got fed up of it, totally different game and not as enjoyable with the new sports teachers and some of the snobby kids. Went in to throwing the javelin for the school and old chalkey White use to let me take one home to practice on the playing fields down Altofts, can you imagine that being allowed nowadays!!
The thing is, schools aren’t like that any more. Teachers are judged on the progress of pupils academically, even in practical subjects like PE, and are under so much scrutiny to achieve results that they are forced to only do stuff that impacts on grades.
There will be extra-curricular opportunities, but the days of the school teacher developing athletes are well and truly gone. They don’t have time and they aren’t judged on it. And nor are schools. Ofsted are only interested in academic success, so that’s where school have to put all their efforts to avoid a poor inspection judgement. How many Ofsted inspection reports mention sporting success, such as winning the year 7 tournament at Wembley? None.
It’s a wider national issue. There is no value placed on sport in schools by policy-makers, ministers or Ofsted. Therefore, there is no incentive for schools to put significant time and resources into sport.
Sad, but true unfortunately.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 05 Oct 2020, 20:26

Nail on head notts.
Spot on.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 05 Oct 2020, 20:41

Your right Notts, but it just goes to show how times have changed from then to now and not always for the better, imo. I know how I'd rather have been brought up and taught, sure I'm gonna be biased but I think it makes for a more rounded person when the person can see there's more to school than sat behind a desk.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Oct 2020, 21:03

Tigers1926 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 20:41 Your right Notts, but it just goes to show how times have changed from then to now and not always for the better, imo. I know how I'd rather have been brought up and taught, sure I'm gonna be biased but I think it makes for a more rounded person when the person can see there's more to school than sat behind a desk.
Absolutely. Unfortunately, the efforts to close the ‘disadvantage gap’ have focused entirely on academic success. Schools are judged on this and nothing else.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 05 Oct 2020, 21:38

Unfortunately there will always be a disadvantaged gap and the only way a disadvantaged kid could close the gap was to be good at sport and this has been where some of our top sports men and women have come from. The gap imo would grow, as the academically minded would go on to do well and those less academic will have no outlet to show their other side. It's a massive debate that needs some serious questions answered and some change of views changed..