Injuries.... is this a club problem

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Robbo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Injuries.... is this a club problem

Post by Robbo » 27 Sep 2020, 23:14

This is not a dig or a pop at anyone but is there something in our training that’s causing us so many issues?
We bring a player in who has had very few problems but here things get worse... is that just bad luck?
DP says players are ready but then they don’t come back . Is that because they re injure?
Could it be the surface? A heavy pitch?

Someone far more qualified than me must have a view .
We seem to of had 5 years of very bad luck if it’s not a training issue.
Cheers Robbo
Truth is always best !

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Injuries.... is this a club problem

Post by nottinghamtiger » 27 Sep 2020, 23:25

Robbo wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 23:14 This is not a dig or a pop at anyone but is there something in our training that’s causing us so many issues?
We bring a player in who has had very few problems but here things get worse... is that just bad luck?
DP says players are ready but then they don’t come back . Is that because they re injure?
Could it be the surface? A heavy pitch?

Someone far more qualified than me must have a view .
We seem to of had 5 years of very bad luck if it’s not a training issue.
Cheers Robbo
To be fair, I think we’ve had three years of back luck. I can’t remember many injuries in 2017.
There are some injuries you can’t mitigate, usually impact injuries suffered in-game such as Junior Moors’ injury and broken bones,
However, I do worry about the number of muscle tears and ligament injuries we suffer in training. Players should not be tearing calves etc in training.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 28 Sep 2020, 09:47

Boringly I have done a lot of work in this area and reading. I exercise a lot in many formats, playing around with 10 sessions a week split and just 4/5 but combination - granted I am not an elite athlete.

Bielsa is an interesting one if you read about his methods, he is a brutal trainer and conditioner; the theme in that regard seems to be that if you are injured, it takes you a long time to get back - but a lot of his charges stay fit as well, but then managing yourself becomes a lot more important in terms of rest and recuperation.

To the original question - definitely need to look at the cycle because there is only one commodity in our game which is getting your resources on the field and if there is something we should be changing to improve that even 5% then we have to find it.
I would like to see, from a personal perspective the schedules, for my interest and what the induction ramp up for players looks like. Some players have to be managed I would say because there is a pressure if you arrive from another club to "prove" why you're there very early on, which might mean you push to hard too quickly when you're not ready.

tigertragic
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigertragic » 28 Sep 2020, 11:55

There is a fine line between not training enough to be fit enough to play effectively and being over trained.

In my uneducated eyes, I see a team who looks tired when playing and a team with multiple training injuries since we last changed conditioner.

Given the latest rule changes which emphasise aerobic fitness I'm of the view we need to closely look at how the team trains and whether they are trained to peak on match day, and how we keep non playing squad members at the same level of fitness

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 28 Sep 2020, 12:03

I think you could follow a time line back to when Ben Cooper left as strength & conditioner to when the injuries started to pile up.

Though understand he had to leave.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Sep 2020, 12:09

mdean wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 09:47 Boringly I have done a lot of work in this area and reading. I exercise a lot in many formats, playing around with 10 sessions a week split and just 4/5 but combination - granted I am not an elite athlete.

Bielsa is an interesting one if you read about his methods, he is a brutal trainer and conditioner; the theme in that regard seems to be that if you are injured, it takes you a long time to get back - but a lot of his charges stay fit as well, but then managing yourself becomes a lot more important in terms of rest and recuperation.

To the original question - definitely need to look at the cycle because there is only one commodity in our game which is getting your resources on the field and if there is something we should be changing to improve that even 5% then we have to find it.
I would like to see, from a personal perspective the schedules, for my interest and what the induction ramp up for players looks like. Some players have to be managed I would say because there is a pressure if you arrive from another club to "prove" why you're there very early on, which might mean you push to hard too quickly when you're not ready.
Some good points there no question Powell has tried to drive the players harder wether it's working as well as hoped I'm not sure
In his defence the last game before lockdown the team looked very fit and full of energy
After lockdown the teams looked a bit all over the place some do look fit others look like there struggling to run
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 28 Sep 2020, 12:37

tigerfeat wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 12:09
mdean wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 09:47 Boringly I have done a lot of work in this area and reading. I exercise a lot in many formats, playing around with 10 sessions a week split and just 4/5 but combination - granted I am not an elite athlete.

Some good points there no question Powell has tried to drive the players harder wether it's working as well as hoped I'm not sure
In his defence the last game before lockdown the team looked very fit and full of energy
After lockdown the teams looked a bit all over the place some do look fit others look like there struggling to run
As with general public it seems to me. I haven't stopped working this year. But when I spoke to some of those furloughed there seemed a split into those who started to exercise or up their exercises regime's and others who "let themselves go" and were drinking more and comfort eating.

Easy Tiger 2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Easy Tiger 2 » 28 Sep 2020, 19:41

Some more injuries in training which are VERY bad news

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 28 Sep 2020, 19:47

duke street 10 wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 12:37
tigerfeat wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 12:09

As with general public it seems to me. I haven't stopped working this year. But when I spoke to some of those furloughed there seemed a split into those who started to exercise or up their exercises regime's and others who "let themselves go" and were drinking more and comfort eating.
I did both!!! Kept working but comfort ate!!!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 28 Sep 2020, 20:18

If I remember rightly, all the players were given individual training programmes over lockdown.

Part of me wonders whether the fact we are generally a poor club is an issue. All other clubs have their own gyms and no doubt much more equipment. Players must either have had their own or had it donated during the lockdown for them to use by the club. I wonder whether the limit on equipment and not being able to give players a full suite of equipment has played a minor part?

However, there is obviously whether warm ups or the actual training is a problem. We can hardly complain about heavy pitches given the summer weather we have had.

There's then the innocuous and unfortunate (injuries can occur anywhere). There's the ingame innocuous tackles, and of course the grubby tactics (Richardson).

Then there's just sheer luck. Get one injury, get another, get infections, fall ill. It is probably a combination of the entire lot and we just seem to pick up more.

There's also the fatigue factor. Players having to play more games, playing injured and even just age. Don't know about anyone else but as I get older I seem to get aches and pains completely randomly
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 29 Sep 2020, 10:57

As with all aspects of the Club, fitness and conditioning should be under constant review and I have no reason to doubt it isn't. For me, the key is learning and moving forward.

Luck certainly seems to play a significant part and we all know that each season, one team or another suffers an unfair amount of injuries. Even our neighbours are and have suffered this season and I recall Hull having a terrible run a few seasons back.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 29 Sep 2020, 14:36

I’ve been saying we’ve had a problem for last 3 years

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Sep 2020, 07:37

It's getting a bit ridiculous now we've only once played two games in a week and we've had plenty of time off since re-start and yet 10-11 players are unavailable
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 30 Sep 2020, 08:24

If our squad were horses half of them would have been sent to the glue factory months ago.

I also can't imagine what the poor treatment table looks like,...shall we have a whip round to get it refurbished?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Sep 2020, 10:41

If we look at the list

Feki - in game
Richardson - in game
Matautia - in game (apparently)
Watts - no idea
Holmes - no idea
Foster - no idea
Jesse - no idea
Smith - training
Olpherts - outside the club?
Turner - presumably game injury since he played last weekend?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 30 Sep 2020, 11:01

HuddsTigers wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:41 If we look at the list

Feki - in game
Richardson - in game
Matautia - in game (apparently)
Watts - no idea
Holmes - no idea
Foster - no idea
Jesse - no idea
Smith - training
Olpherts - outside the club?
Turner - presumably game injury since he played last weekend?
Holmes as a slight calf strain.
No idea if it was done in the hull game or training.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 30 Sep 2020, 14:42

Jake Trueman out of tomorrow now again, they’re ain’t nothing wrong with our conditioning though 🙄

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Sep 2020, 15:15

Hope Brian Carney reads this and asks Wells tomorrow why he thinks so many players at Cas get injured in training
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 30 Sep 2020, 15:36

Well if we are cashing in on Trueman (allegedly)season's end we could be protecting a sellable asset!

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 30 Sep 2020, 15:38

I think our poor form and massive injury list is probably going to cost macca man of steel.was well on for it before covid struck and played well in the earlier games back but not been able to dominate and been on end of some bad score lines is going to cost him I think