SL table - working the percentages

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

SL table - working the percentages

Post by SuffolkTiger » 13 Sep 2020, 18:13

The reality is:
- if we get to play all our remaining 9 games and win them, we will have a win % of 70% at the end of the season.
- based on current standings, that will give us 4th spot

Who knows what the next few weeks will bring the above feels very unlikely.

All in all, a drab looking autumn for us. I guess the perspective is that there are more important issues to worry about. The feature on Rob Burrow & his family at half time says to me that we should put the last 4 days into the correct context.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: SL table - working the percentages

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Sep 2020, 18:24

I still want to know how they will factor in a draw to the league table.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 13 Sep 2020, 18:35

nottinghamtiger wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 18:24 I still want to know how they will factor in a draw to the league table.
Have they done away with Golden Point then?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Sep 2020, 18:38

alftupper wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 18:35
nottinghamtiger wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 18:24 I still want to know how they will factor in a draw to the league table.
Have they done away with Golden Point then?
It’s still a draw if no team scores within 10 minutes of golden point. Always has been.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Sep 2020, 19:43

SuffolkTiger wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 18:13 The reality is:
- if we get to play all our remaining 9 games and win them, we will have a win % of 70% at the end of the season.

All in all, a drab looking autumn for us. I guess the perspective is that there are more important issues to worry about. The feature on Rob Burrow & his family at half time says to me that we should put the last 4 days into the correct context.
It was tough to watch Rob for me ...there's also a second wave of virus on its way in terms of rugby league if crowds arnt allowed back until well into next year things will look grim for Cas and a few others too
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Sep 2020, 16:58

Won't matter. It is based on a win %. A draw counts for nothing.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 14 Sep 2020, 17:01

HuddsTigers wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 16:58
Won't matter. It is based on a win %. A draw counts for nothing.
Surely a draw must count as half a win (0.5)
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Sep 2020, 17:03

All the sides above us have to play each other. I'd be very surprised if all 4 are on 70%+ come the end. Reckon we need to be 60%+ to be in with a shout and we are probably looking at around 6/9 wins to be in with a shout.

Wigan have to play Saints twice and Wire still.
Wire have to play Catalans twice, Wigan and Saints.

As Leeds are in 4th, the two games against them are pivotal for our hopes.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Sep 2020, 17:33

HuddsTigers wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:03

All the sides above us have to play each other. I'd be very surprised if all 4 are on 70%+ come the end. Reckon we need to be 60%+ to be in with a shout and we are probably looking at around 6/9 wins to be in with a shout.

Can we honestly afford to lose three more games then I'm too thick to be able to work it out just heard people saying we can't afford to lose again now after last Thursday
Vince Lombardi

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 14 Sep 2020, 17:40

Regarding the OP , couldn't have said it any better . The interview with Rob got abit much for me and I had to turn it off. Plenty of perspective to be had . He lives 4 doors away from me and my son goes to the same school as his daughter. Regarding top 4 , I cant see us winning 4/9 never mind 6 but this season has been a farce anyway . Few signings needed and might aswell experiment rest of season . Oneill needs to play every game for me , Trueman needs to get fit .

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Sep 2020, 17:43

tigerfeat wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:33

Can we honestly afford to lose three more games then I'm too thick to be able to work it out just heard people saying we can't afford to lose again now after last Thursday
Warrington finished 4th last year with 16/29 wins (55%), Salford 3rd with 17/29 (59%)

Before that it was Super 8s, which is probably a better barometer since it closer to the number of games we have now.

2018: Warrington 4th with 14/23 (61%)
2017: 3rd-5th all had 13/23 (57%)
2016: 4th (14/23 - 61%)

So based on this a win % of around 60% is likely to put us in contention for 4th. That is 12 wins out of 20. So we are looking at 7/9 but I would hazard 6 may be enough as teams get faster turnarounds and fixture pile ups.

Win all 9 and it shouldn't matter and we have to believe that now.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 14 Sep 2020, 23:58

HuddsTigers wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:43

Warrington finished 4th last year with 16/29 wins (55%), Salford 3rd with 17/29 (59%)

Before that it was Super 8s, which is probably a better barometer since it closer to the number of games we have now.

So based on this a win % of around 60% is likely to put us in contention for 4th. That is 12 wins out of 20. So we are looking at 7/9 but I would hazard 6 may be enough as teams get faster turnarounds and fixture pile ups.

Thanks for looking back at those stats Hudds. Interesting.

I was going to do that yesterday but I got called in because my tea was ready.....

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Sep 2020, 08:41

SuffolkTiger wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 23:58
HuddsTigers wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:43

Thanks for looking back at those stats Hudds. Interesting.

I was going to do that yesterday but I got called in because my tea was ready.....
My brain is well and truely frazzled most of the time these days...
Vince Lombardi

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 15 Sep 2020, 09:51

Given the current covid situation in France there has to be a serious possibility they won't even get to play enough games to qualify for the play offs.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 15 Sep 2020, 10:29

I tend to agree with Hepworth
The current infection rates in France are more than twice that of the UK as arer the death rates.
It seemed bizarre that they could play in front of spectators who seemed more concerned with sitting in the shade than in virus prevention.
If it becomes the case that Catalans cannot complete the required number of fixtures could this precipitate the end of the season.
If so what then.
I know there are far more important issues than rugby at any time.
But this is Cas Forum not the UN
Stay Safe

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Sep 2020, 10:42

If Catalans fail to fulfil 15 fixtures they won't be eligible for the playoffs UNLESS it is mathematically impossible for them to have been dislodged.

I think they will end up carrying on playing fixtures even behind closed doors if they have to. They need the revenue. I imagine it will also depend on local figures. If most are the infections are in the north in the Paris area then it probably doesn't impact on the south as much.

tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tykeneil » 30 Sep 2020, 09:06

Rather strange system the new % as Leeds Rhinos went up two places last night and didn't play.
Sure they will go back down later today

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Sep 2020, 10:35

tykeneil wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 09:06 Rather strange system the new % as Leeds Rhinos went up two places last night and didn't play.
Sure they will go back down later today
The beauty or weirdness of the system. Which is why it is premature for Sky to be ruling teams out already. All it takes is a winning run and losses for rivals.

Still have Points Difference too. So teams on same percentages will still go up and down based on that.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 30 Sep 2020, 11:28

I’m still wondering what will happen in the event of a draw.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Sep 2020, 13:52

nottinghamtiger wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 11:28 I’m still wondering what will happen in the event of a draw.

Nothing. It will count as a draw. The table is based on win percentage. So if no one wins, no one gets anything added. Both teams drop their %.