Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Powell

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Nov 2020, 23:10

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:07 Seeing how Watson has left Salford after an approach from Hull it looks like DP will be staying with Cas.

Not many thought DP would go and thankfully he probably won’t then thus thread gas almost run its course.
Watson seems to be joining Huddersfield.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Nov 2020, 23:36

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:10
Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:07 Seeing how Watson has left Salford after an approach from Hull it looks like DP will be staying with Cas.

Not many thought DP would go and thankfully he probably won’t then this thread has almost run its course.
Watson seems to be joining Huddersfield.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Nov 2020, 23:40

Is Salford to Huddersfield that big a jump/move? Very sideways if not a slight drop back if you ask me.

I still believe had there been rumblings of DP to Hull then Danny Orr might have waited a while. Let’s hope there weren’t and thankfully he didn’t.

LeeThorpe898
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeeThorpe898 » 10 Nov 2020, 22:40

Yeah I think Ian Watson was Hull's first choice as I don't see him joining Huddersfield and the Powell to Hull rumor was probably just a load of nonsense lol

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 10 Nov 2020, 23:39

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:40 Is Salford to Huddersfield that big a jump/move? Very sideways if not a slight drop back if you ask me.
Depends on the money Davey is willing to put in. He may see it as an opportunity (with other clubs having to tighten there belts) to put money in, strengthen and compete for a big trophy.

Rumours of Hastings to sign kicking about. Him and Sezer would be the best half back combination in the league by a mile for a start.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 11 Nov 2020, 11:45

Do you think any owners will be investing big money next year?

What with Covid and no income streams then it would need a generous owner to spend big with little prospect of a return on that spending.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 11 Nov 2020, 15:08

If Hull want him they will have to meet Cas's price due to him being under contract,

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 11 Nov 2020, 16:46

Frankas wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 15:08 If Hull want him they will have to meet Cas's price due to him being under contract,
Welcome back Frankas. Haven’t seen you on here for a while. Hope all is well?

Get into em
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Get into em » 11 Nov 2020, 19:56

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:40 Is Salford to Huddersfield that big a jump/move? Very sideways if not a slight drop back if you ask me.
Really?
Salford have already recruited pretty well for 2021 but Watson has clearly taken Salford as far as he can and he/The club have massively over achieved during the past 2 seasons by reaching both a GF and a CC final within a calendar year.

Have a look at the quality of the junior players at the Giants and also how established some of those already are in the first team.
Ashton Golding (24)
Jake Wardle (21)
Matty English (23)
Louis Senior (20)
Innes Senior (20)
Olly Wilson (20)

I reckon that If Watson goes to the Giants that they will be a very good side for years to come as Ken Davy certainly doesn't mind funding the club in order to bring quality players in.

Of their youngsters,
Jake Wardle is a fantastic young dynamic centre that will go onto play for England in the near future as will Matty English and Olly Wilson who are both fantastic front row forwards

None of these 3 would have got near a handful of first team appearances if they were at Cas as Daryll simply doesn't put enough trust into the kids.

What is the pathway for our clubs juniors moving forward in order for us to successfully produce our own players down the track that will ultimately bring our club a bright future?

Daryll clearly prefers project signings before promoting our youth and we could end up being left well behind clubs like Huddersfield down the track if these projects don't produce

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 11 Nov 2020, 23:24

Huddersfield will not win a trophy in the next 10 years at least whoever is in charge and putting money in to the club.

Get into em
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Get into em » 12 Nov 2020, 07:37

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 23:24 Huddersfield will not win a trophy in the next 10 years at least whoever is in charge and putting money in to the club.
My initial response to your point was with regards to you thinking that Watson is taking a backward step by moving to coach the Giants.
I disagree and have made my reasoned points as to why above in my reply.

Simply by you saying that the Giants wont win a trophy in the next 10 years doesn't really vindicate your point of Salford being a better side than the Giants?

Will we win a trophy in the next 10 years?

We certainly won't IMO if we don't start producing our own talented kids on a regular basis whist also signing top quality overseas players.
A bit like what Huddersfield Giants have started the process of doing really

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Nov 2020, 13:36

KB80 wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 23:39
Depends on the money Davey is willing to put in. He may see it as an opportunity (with other clubs having to tighten there belts) to put money in, strengthen and compete for a big trophy.

Rumours of Hastings to sign kicking about. Him and Sezer would be the best half back combination in the league by a mile for a start.
Hastings has signed an extended contract with Wigan. He must have been very tempted to leave them though and go to Huddersfield. ](*,)

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 12 Nov 2020, 16:29

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 13:36
KB80 wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 23:39

Hastings has signed an extended contract with Wigan. He must have been very tempted to leave them though and go to Huddersfield. ](*,)
Like I said rumours.

The right amount of money could probably have tempted him (as it did Sezer).

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 13 Nov 2020, 09:51

Just goes to show, Steve Price who has over £600k worth of half backs at his disposal, still cannot get any further to winning the league. Makes me appreciate the job Powell is doing even more.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 13 Nov 2020, 12:54

Price may not be winning the league but they are closer than we are just now and are more likely to compete than we are in the next few years. Just look at the top 3 clubs again. Why do they not struggle as we do? I think we know why?

Whilst we are all happy with DP he can only do so much with what he is given. This is why we won’t and can’t compete season on season. We had a fantastic chance to build on 2017 but as we know we didn’t/haven’t.

That was some of it not the best rugby I have seen at Cas and I feel so privileged to have seen it and the LL shield win. It shows what can be achieved. Imagine what DP could achieve with a but ore quality and better back up and I include the staff and BOD in this.

Get into em
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Get into em » 20 Dec 2020, 20:35

Giants have now signed a top quality centre in Leutele
He is the exact quality signing that we urgently need but sadly Huddersfield Giants have landed him
Mark my words that the Giants are going to be challenging for trophies and also finishing above us in the SL table for the foreseeable future

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 20 Dec 2020, 21:20

Get into em wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 20:35 Giants have now signed a top quality centre in Leutele
He is the exact quality signing that we urgently need but sadly Huddersfield Giants have landed him
Mark my words that the Giants are going to be challenging for trophies and also finishing above us in the SL table for the foreseeable future
Giants have a money man that can afford these players, we’ve seen it before and we’ll see it again that buying lots of good players doesn’t always make you a good team but yes Huddersfield will be strong next season.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Dec 2020, 21:21

Get into em wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 20:35 Giants have now signed a top quality centre in Leutele
a better signing for us would be the man at Huddersfield that is plowing all the cash in we all know money talks

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 20 Dec 2020, 21:29

MrRugby123 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 21:20
Giants have a money man that can afford these players, we’ve seen it before and we’ll see it again that buying lots of good players doesn’t always make you a good team but yes Huddersfield will be strong next season.
Can have all money you want but can still only spend the same cap amount as us.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 20 Dec 2020, 21:54

fords wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 21:29
MrRugby123 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 21:20
Can have all money you want but can still only spend the same cap amount as us.
You honestly believe all teams spend the same amount ? Marquee players etc which Cas never get for starters plus paying extras through houses, cars back handers.