Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Powell

Post by westerbeast73 » 24 Dec 2020, 19:43

nottinghamtiger wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 16:43
HuddsTigers wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 14:48
westerbeast73 wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 07:53 I'm not calling the Fultons I'm stating he wont buy a marquee player ](*,)
Marquee players are pointless in our case. We have to over inflate a player's wage to £175k or whatever it is to get any material benefit.

All we would be doing is paying player A about £40k more than the rest of the squad to free up £75k for a player we either can't afford or just to add numbers.

If you are going to use a marquee player, it surely has to be on someone of value that is going to bring some tangible kind of ROI in sponsorship, STs and fans.

I've yet to see any proper evidence of that actually being the case across SL with most clubs either spending and losing money, or having no huge impact on attendances. It is a complete fallacy IMO and only further highlights the growing problems the sport has in trying to paper over bigger cracks.
There was talk of us ‘playing the system’ a bit by naming Trueman and Watts as marquee players, as only 75k of their salary would be counted on the cap because they are home-grown. This would then leave more space on the cap for other players,
I suspect Covid-19 has scuppered that, though. I doubt we have the money available to be spending over the standard cap now.
Thought Trueman was from Bradford ?

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 24 Dec 2020, 19:49

But they're doing the same job and that's my point..

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 24 Dec 2020, 20:38

westerbeast73 wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 19:43
nottinghamtiger wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 16:43
HuddsTigers wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 14:48
westerbeast73 wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 07:53 I'm not calling the Fultons I'm stating he wont buy a marquee player ](*,)
Marquee players are pointless in our case. We have to over inflate a player's wage to £175k or whatever it is to get any material benefit.

All we would be doing is paying player A about £40k more than the rest of the squad to free up £75k for a player we either can't afford or just to add numbers.

If you are going to use a marquee player, it surely has to be on someone of value that is going to bring some tangible kind of ROI in sponsorship, STs and fans.

I've yet to see any proper evidence of that actually being the case across SL with most clubs either spending and losing money, or having no huge impact on attendances. It is a complete fallacy IMO and only further highlights the growing problems the sport has in trying to paper over bigger cracks.
There was talk of us ‘playing the system’ a bit by naming Trueman and Watts as marquee players, as only 75k of their salary would be counted on the cap because they are home-grown. This would then leave more space on the cap for other players,
I suspect Covid-19 has scuppered that, though. I doubt we have the money available to be spending over the standard cap now.
Thought Trueman was from Bradford ?
Technically, he’s a club-trained Cas player as he spent 3 years at the club before his 21st birthday.
It was close - he signed in January 2017 and became a club-trained player in January 2020, before he turned 21 in February 2020.