Salford Thursday

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Salford Thursday

Post by duke street 10 » 04 Sep 2020, 08:39

Fumper27 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 06:17
duke street 10 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 23:18 The club's development of junior players does seem to have hit the buffers. That isn't down to 1st team coach.

For example i was trying to think of the last big front row that came through the system and was a consistent 1st team performer?. I could think of Craig Huby & to a lesser extent Ryan Boyle. I won't pass comment on the Will Maher experiment. On another subject what happened to Lewis Carr?
Liam Watts cane through the Cas system. Does he count? By the “rules” previously stated, he would. Also, Nathan Massey came through at the same time (both Liam and Nathan made their Cas debut in the same game).

As for the record of youngsters coming through in DP tenure, it is poor but is that his fault? He is kind of proven right in that none of the youngsters released have gone on to have a stellar career elsewhere.
Regarding Watts i feel his 1st team development was at the Hull clubs, and as Cas fans we should be grateful Radford was the coach at Hull at the time of his fallout!. I'll give you Massey, whoI see him as a workmanlike 13.

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 04 Sep 2020, 08:58

daytona wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 23:10 How many of the youngsters that we have let go in recent years after “not been given a chance” have forged a successful career in super league westerbeast? Nobody should just get a go in the first team in my opinion just to give them a go. If they are good enough they will get in. We don’t see training or attitudes so how can anyone on here judge who should be picked in the team? For what it’s worth the two players who were under most pressure in Milner and Mcmeekan both put good solid shifts in tonight I thought. Junior looked in good shape but clearly not match fit, which will come with more game time hopefully.
Nail on the head for me Daytona

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 04 Sep 2020, 09:03

duke street 10 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 08:39
duke street 10 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 23:18 The club's development of junior players does seem to have hit the buffers. That isn't down to 1st team coach.

For example i was trying to think of the last big front row that came through the system and was a consistent 1st team performer?. I could think of Craig Huby & to a lesser extent Ryan Boyle. I won't pass comment on the Will Maher experiment. On another subject what happened to Lewis Carr?
Liam Watts cane through the Cas system. Does he count? By the “rules” previously stated, he would. Also, Nathan Massey came through at the same time (both Liam and Nathan made their Cas debut in the same game).

As for the record of youngsters coming through in DP tenure, it is poor but is that his fault? He is kind of proven right in that none of the youngsters released have gone on to have a stellar career elsewhere.
Regarding Watts i feel his 1st team development was at the Hull clubs, and as Cas fans we should be grateful Radford was the coach at Hull at the time of his fallout!. I'll give you Massey, whoI see him as a workmanlike 13.
Massey was playing for Cas well before Powell turned up.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 04 Sep 2020, 09:09

Hes given 1st team performances to Turner, Oneil and the young prop who played really well against Wigan then went to Halifax. Why Oneil doesnt start each week is baffling, he gives 100% when he plays and gets stuck in. Cas have gone backwards the last couple of years and it will take more than signing Evalds to sort ot out.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 04 Sep 2020, 09:10

westerbeast73 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:09 Hes given 1st team performances to Turner, Oneil, Gill and the young prop who played really well against Wigan then went to Halifax. Why Oneil doesnt start each week is baffling, he gives 100% when he plays and gets stuck in. Cas have gone backwards the last couple of years and it will take more than signing Evalds to sort ot out.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Sep 2020, 09:28

westerbeast73 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:03
duke street 10 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 08:39

Massey was playing for Cas well before Powell turned up.
You calmed down a bit now Westerbeast73?

The question posed by Duke street 10 was
“the last big front row that came through the system and was a consistent 1st team performer“?

It was not:

“the last big front row that Powell brought through the system and was a consistent 1st team performer”?

I think everyone on here knows that Massey‘s time at Cas pre-dates Daryl Powell by a good few years.
I mentioned Liam Watts as you’re thought process behind Trueman not classing as a “Cas product” would work the other way for Liam Watts.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Sep 2020, 09:31

westerbeast73 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 22:46
nottinghamtiger wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 22:39
westerbeast73 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 22:34
Tigboy*20 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 22:29 Not bringing in young players, what about jake trueman.
DP has consistently done brilliantly on a much tighter budget than wigan wire or saints
He signed him from another club NOT A CAS YOUNGTER HIS HE. In future engage brain before typing
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
To be fair, he signed at 17 (and only just 17 I think). He was hardly a SL player when he signed.
Trueman is considered to be a home-grown player because he has spent three years at the club before he turned 21. So technically he is recognised as being a Castleford-trained player.
In future, maybe check the actual facts before insulting other people.
You can nit pick all you want because YOU ARE WRONG. Give me one example of a Cas player who has come through the Cas academy programme ie COMES FROM CAS. who Powell has made a regular player in the 1st team. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH.
Sadly there’s no descent players coming out of Airedale academy or cas academy.
I do know Airedale does not give rugby league priority anymore.
Cas academy as done well with school boy finals, but even that as dropped off now.
So what do we do, not sign players from out of town. If we did that then we wouldn’t have a Castleford tigers club to support.

If there’s no decent youngsters then that’s not Daryl fault.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 04 Sep 2020, 09:36

westerbeast73 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:10
westerbeast73 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:09 Hes given 1st team performances to Turner, Oneil, Gill and the young prop who played really well against Wigan then went to Halifax. Why Oneil doesnt start each week is baffling, he gives 100% when he plays and gets stuck in. Cas have gone backwards the last couple of years and it will take more than signing Evalds to sort ot out.
Any additions to those 4 players anyone ?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Sep 2020, 09:37

If we had both centres injured and we had a young 18 year old centre in the reserves Powell would put a back row forward in over the youngster because he trusts the players that play over a kid
I'm not saying he's right or wrong that's how it is and it's difficult for any youngster to get game time in the run on team
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 04 Sep 2020, 09:39

Playing devils advocate I get the feeling Hodgson is just that one unique player that comes through every once a very long while. I also heard Wells say last night that over 18 months ago they’d targeted a new FB and that the signing was in the pipeline a while back. Hodgson will have been just 15 then in the scholarship system and maybe those above had underestimated just how quickly he’d develop. I’ve heard he leapfrogged to first team straight from scholarship, not sure anyone would have maybe expected that one?
Just trying to see it another way

Tony

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 04 Sep 2020, 09:44

Peachy
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 04 Sep 2020, 09:45

TonyM wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:39 Playing devils advocate I get the feeling Hodgson is just that one unique player that comes through every once a very long while. I also heard Wells say last night that over 18 months ago they’d targeted a new FB and that the signing was in the pipeline a while back. Hodgson will have been just 15 then in the scholarship system and maybe those above had underestimated just how quickly he’d develop. I’ve heard he leapfrogged to first team straight from scholarship, not sure anyone would have maybe expected that one?

Tony

He said we targeted O'Brien before Rankin but Toronto offered him much more so we missed out on him at the time.

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 04 Sep 2020, 09:53

Casmoley wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:45
TonyM wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:39 Playing devils advocate I get the feeling Hodgson is just that one unique player that comes through every once a very long while. I also heard Wells say last night that over 18 months ago they’d targeted a new FB and that the signing was in the pipeline a while back. Hodgson will have been just 15 then in the scholarship system and maybe those above had underestimated just how quickly he’d develop. I’ve heard he leapfrogged to first team straight from scholarship, not sure anyone would have maybe expected that one?

Tony

He said we targeted O'Brien before Rankin but Toronto offered him much more so we missed out on him at the time.
My mistake.

I’m just really losing faith in my club if we’re not looking after the kids, there the foundation of your future and development as a club

Worry where we’ll be at over the next few years

Tony

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 04 Sep 2020, 09:59

I think with games coming thick and fast, Hodgson will get a game. But if the rumours are true he won't have much time left to make his debut before getting on a plane to Aus.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 04 Sep 2020, 10:07

tigerfeat wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:37 If we had both centres injured and we had a young 18 year old centre in the reserves Powell would put a back row forward in over the youngster because he trusts the players that play over a kid
I'm not saying he's right or wrong that's how it is and it's difficult for any youngster to get game time in the run on team
Exactly, he would rather re arrange the whole team rather than put a younger player in at the correct position???

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 04 Sep 2020, 10:16

Casmoley wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:59 I think with games coming thick and fast, Hodgson will get a game. But if the rumours are true he won't have much time left to make his debut before getting on a plane to Aus.
Well if I was him or his parents I'd be encouraging him to go, I get he's only a young un at 17 but where's he's going if he stays here under DP with Evalds coming on board. Not sure how much truth is in this one but I've heard he's been scouted over there as a squad member and that there's at least 3 clubs at the minute in the mix.
Again only rumours so don't shoot me down.

Tony

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 04 Sep 2020, 10:20

TonyM wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 10:16
Casmoley wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:59 I think with games coming thick and fast, Hodgson will get a game. But if the rumours are true he won't have much time left to make his debut before getting on a plane to Aus.
Well if I was him or his parents I'd be encouraging him to go, I get he's only a young un at 17 but where's he's going if he stays here under DP with Evalds coming on board. Not sure how much truth is in this one but I've heard he's been scouted over there as a squad member and that there's at least 3 clubs at the minute in the mix.

Tony

Don't panic about his family, believe they are moving over there too!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Sep 2020, 10:26

The biggest thing we need in any deal is first refusal upon his return to uk waters and if not that, a % profit made on any future transfer fee back to the uk too
Audacter Et Sincere

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Sep 2020, 10:29

jackknife wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:44Peachy
Sam Hall

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Sep 2020, 10:32

TonyM wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 10:16

Tony
Better to not be getting a game at the Newcastle Knights on double the money (I would guess) than not getting a game at Cas
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi