Three years

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Three years

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 18 Aug 2020, 23:15

nottinghamtiger wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 22:32 Still a case of “unfinished business” as far as I’m concerned.
The game against Wakefield and the semi-Final against Saints will live long in the memory, BUT it’s always overshadowed by the failure to finish the job and take the big prize.
We need to win a major trophy.
Goes without saying. Just enjoying the memories of the day

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Aug 2020, 08:23

2017 will haunt me forever and a day. I could have died an happy man had we won it. We would have also gone down as one of the best teams in SL history to win the GF. The records books will remember us for all the wrong reasons that year. No team has ever dominated the league like we have then totally fallen apart on the only day that matters.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 19 Aug 2020, 10:17

Daryl won’t go until he has eclipsed 2017.
I just know it will happen, I believe in him. He might take the long road but we will get there.
Audacter Et Sincere

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Aug 2020, 11:22

Mysterio wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 10:17 Daryl won’t go until he has eclipsed 2017.
I just know it will happen, I believe in him. He might take the long road but we will get there.

Need to recruit the right players to do that mysterio.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Aug 2020, 11:30

old cas lass wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:22

I’m confident. Generally, the teams with the best ‘spine’ of full back, halves and hooker win trophies. In 2021, ours will be Evalds, Trueman, Richardson and McShane. For years, we’ve seen teams win trophies with pretty average players everywhere else apart from these positions. Added to the fact we have one of the best forwards in Super League in Watts, I’m confident we’ll win a major trophy next season.
To be fair, I think we’re in with a shout this year if O’Brien fits in quickly at full back and we can keep the O’Brien/Trueman/Richardson/McShane spine fit and playing together regularly.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Aug 2020, 11:52

Need more than one good forward notts.
Yes watts is imo on par with Walmsley.
We have some (good) forwards, not world beaters in smith, griffin, Millington. The latter nearing the end of his career.
We certainly Imo need another watts in the team.

All them playerS you’ve named can’t do their jobs without the forwards laying the platform.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 19 Aug 2020, 11:54

The pessimistic me could say the following though. Although I'm not unhappy with our spine i can see better ones.

Evalds - passing game not good enough
Trueman - totally lacking ideas how to break defences down, is lacking in many areas / step & fend
Richardson - can't tackle and can't boss a team around, barely takes line on
Mcshane not quick enough
Audacter Et Sincere

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Aug 2020, 11:54

old cas lass wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:52 Need more than one good forward notts.
We have some (good) forwards, not world beaters in smith, griffin, Millington. The latter nearing the end of his career.

All them playerS you’ve named can’t do their jobs without the forwards laying the platform.
Where we differ from the better clubs are, Wigan/Saints and even Leeds are bringing through very good forwards. You look at Matty Lees, Morgan Knowles, Morgan Smithies, Oliver Partington, Mik Oledzki, Cam Smith and all them will or are nearly international forwards in some capacity. We just can't/won't/don't bring them through for whatever reasons.

Even Huddersfield are bringing lads like Matty English and Oliver Wilson through, who don't look out of place.

Horsifer

Post by Horsifer » 19 Aug 2020, 16:07

nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:30
old cas lass wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:22

I’m confident. Generally, the teams with the best ‘spine’ of full back, halves and hooker win trophies. In 2021, ours will be Evalds, Trueman, Richardson and McShane. For years, we’ve seen teams win trophies with pretty average players everywhere else apart from these positions. Added to the fact we have one of the best forwards in Super League in Watts, I’m confident we’ll win a major trophy next season.
To be fair, I think we’re in with a shout this year if O’Brien fits in quickly at full back and we can keep the O’Brien/Trueman/Richardson/McShane spine fit and playing together regularly.
I agree with that, but would like to add the loose forward into the spine. I thought Milner was awesome that season (His last gasp tackle against Saints in the semi-final a case in point). Sadly he seems to have lost that form and gives too many penalties away these days and consequently doesn't have the attacking impact he once did . I'd like to see young Jacques be given a decent run there.

Pleased with how O'Brien played and brought solidity to the back line.

Watching the RFL website for the outcomes from Milo and Makinson's tribunals.
Hold firm, have faith. #COYF

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Aug 2020, 16:14

old cas lass wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:52 Need more than one good forward notts.

Whilst I agree to some extent, I don’t think you need a pack full of players as good as Liam Watts. When you look at the teams to win recent Grand Finals etc, they have some very average forwards making up the numbers even in the first choice 17. Wigan are currently top of the league, and I don’t think they have a forward anywhere near Watts’ standard.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Aug 2020, 16:26

Mysterio wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:54 The pessimistic me could say the following though. Although I'm not unhappy with our spine i can see better ones.

Evalds - passing game not good enough
Trueman - totally lacking ideas how to break defences down, is lacking in many areas / step & fend
Richardson - can't tackle and can't boss a team around, barely takes line on
Mcshane not quick enough
Good job I’m not pessimistic.
Niall Evalds has a fantastic passing game. Some of his assists (including one last week) have created walk-in tries for both wingers at Salford.
Jake Trueman’s stats for try assists have been pretty good over the last couple of seasons. Think he’s also forced more goal-line drop-outs than any other player in SL.
Richardson - jury still out, but I do rate him. I actually think he’s been taking on the line more than I expected and has a better turn of place than I thought he had.
McShane - not the fastest legs, but one of the fastest brains in SL. He’s not topping the MoS standings for nothing.
If there’s anything about our spine it’s that we are lacking someone with the composure of Luke Gale. The number of times we’ve completely bodged up close games by going for a try rather than a drop goal, or just set up badly for a 1-pointer must have cost us so many league points. I thought Richardson might be an answer to that problem, but in the game against Warrington he didn’t look like he had a clue what to do.