Gareth O'Brien signing

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Gareth O'Brien signing

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Aug 2020, 08:22

In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Gareth O'Brien signing

Post by Burratha » 10 Aug 2020, 08:28

Didn't see that one coming... I bet he's cup-tied, too.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Aug 2020, 08:30

Excellent news we couldn't go on like we did in 2018 trying a different full-back every week
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Aug 2020, 08:30

At least he’s a fullback.
Plugs a gap for a season.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 10 Aug 2020, 08:49

Not bad, not bad at all. Certainly a better player than the last time he was with us, think he got knocked out twice in his short stint. Think this means the end of Hodgson.

What back 5 do we go with?

O'Brien
Olpherts/Clare
?
Shenton
Feki/Eden?
Last edited by heritage1926 on 10 Aug 2020, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Aug 2020, 08:54

You need that speed from marker with your wingman especially how the games being played now Eden and Olpherts if Feki not rate
No idea on centres both that played week end were dire
Vince Lombardi

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 10 Aug 2020, 08:55

It worries me how little youth we bring through, are we simply not getting lads good enough or is it a club mindset that needs changing?
I agree, if Hodgson was in 2 minds about leaving I guess this will seal the deal for him and Turner. Tony

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Aug 2020, 08:55

Good.
He fits the style we like to play. He can cover in the halves if needed.
Straight in at full-back for me.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Aug 2020, 09:02

TonyM wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 08:55 It worries me how little youth we bring through, are we simply not getting lads good enough or is it a club mindset that needs changing?
I agree, if Hodgson was in 2 minds about leaving I guess this will seal the deal for him and Turner. Tony

Could hodgson play either wing or center for time being. I don’t know a great deal about him or his stature.
Maybe center, hardaker as gone from FB to center. So maybe hodgson doing the same, if matautia as a ban.
Just a thought.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Aug 2020, 09:16

TonyM wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 08:55 It worries me how little youth we bring through, are we simply not getting lads good enough or is it a club mindset that needs changing?
Powell as always gone for experiance over youth that's just the way it is
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 10 Aug 2020, 09:20

I’m also worried about the lack of opportunity for youth at Cas. When you look at what the Lancashire clubs and even some yorkshire clubs bring through it looks like we’re overdoing the pasta and not the steak
Audacter Et Sincere

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 10 Aug 2020, 09:26

Mysterio wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 09:20 I’m also worried about the lack of opportunity for youth at Cas. When you look at what the Lancashire clubs and even some yorkshire clubs bring through it looks like we’re overdoing the pasta and not the steak
I've heard and witnessed myself how special the 16's last season were which included Hodgson but these kids will be wondering when their chance will come staying at Cas. Your Lancashire teams and I'd throw Leeds in there too seem much keener to bring through the young lads. Tony

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Aug 2020, 09:41

of the youth that is coming through young Graham a center looks the part is he ready DPS shout , O Brien will plug a gap till Evalds arrives hats of to the club

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Aug 2020, 09:48

So, Niall Evalds IS NOT joining Cas early. I’m sure someone posted that months ago and was shouted down by a few....

Good to see the club reacting to Saturdays debacle.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Aug 2020, 10:03

TonyM wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 09:26
Mysterio wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 09:20 I’m also worried about the lack of opportunity for youth at Cas. When you look at what the Lancashire clubs and even some yorkshire clubs bring through it looks like we’re overdoing the pasta and not the steak
I've heard and witnessed myself how special the 16's last season were which included Hodgson but these kids will be wondering when their chance will come staying at Cas. Your Lancashire teams and I'd throw Leeds in there too seem much keener to bring through the young lads. Tony
But your talking about 17 years olds I'd have Oneill over Milner but it ain't going to happen you have to earn your stripes which hopefully Oneill will do and sign a new contract
I'd have Hodgson on the bench now he's got a step and would be far better someone like him over a forward
Powell does things his way and most of the time he's proved right
Vince Lombardi

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 10 Aug 2020, 10:04

Wow, we have an actual fullback :dance: took long enough like.
🐯 COYF!

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 10 Aug 2020, 10:14

tigerfeat wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:03
But your talking about 17 years olds I'd have Oneill over Milner but it ain't going to happen you have to earn your stripes which hopefully Oneill will do and sign a new contract
I'd have Hodgson on the bench now he's got a step and would be far better someone like him over a forward
I'm with you regarding Oneill. Just my opinion but we seem to have a lot of young lads that we either lose at 18 to other clubs or end up just not renewing their contracts, this year examples Storey, Turner. Would these boys have been in a better position if DP had played them a more? You only develop further by being played surely and in a season like this my thought is there's no risk? Tony

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 10 Aug 2020, 10:27

FWIW, I actually don't think Greg played bad at all Saturday. You could argue that he wasn't strong enough in attempting to tackle Folua for his try, but then again, if Greg is having to make a 1 on 1 tackle as last man, it means someone (Shenton) didn't do his job in the first place.

I'm glad Powell has acted on the FB position quickly. I can only think the rumours of Hodgson to Australia are true and DP would rather go with someone experienced like O'Brien than risk the young lad, if he's not going to be around for much longer.

I don't believe for one second O'Brien will come in and be the saviour, but he's certainly a better player over the years and a proven match winner on big occasions.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 10 Aug 2020, 10:31

Happy with the signing.maybe we will look to keep him for the following season as fullback halfback cover?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Aug 2020, 10:35

TonyM wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:14
tigerfeat wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:03
I'm with you regarding Oneill. Just my opinion but we seem to have a lot of young lads that we either lose at 18 to other clubs or end up just not renewing their contracts, this year examples Storey, Turner. Would these boys have been in a better position if DP had played them a more? You only develop further by being played surely and in a season like this my thought is there's no risk? Tony
I agree with you it's a tough path for a young player to get a spot in the first team at Cas I've said many times id like to see them get more of a chance If Fleming comes I'm sure he will be ahead of some of the young forwards
Like I said that's the way Powell as always operated since he became coach
Vince Lombardi