This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Fumper27 » 29 Jun 2020, 10:56

Tiger53 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 09:41
Fumper27 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 08:02
Tigers1926 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 21:11 Heritage 1926, is that when the Cas fans were singing Barmy Army nonstop for most of the second half at knowsley rd? Rate atmosphere that day even though we lost, but the Cas fans kept singing 🐯 COYF 🏉
I think that game was the ‘99 play off semi. Might of occurred at both though
1997 semi-final not 1999. The chant right through the second half and all the time that Ellery Hanley was trying to address the Saints crowd was unbelievable. A fantastic atmosphere, I loved that night regardless of the fact that we eventually lost. Still have the game on an old video which I kept simply for the crowd atmosphere.
We were crap in 1997. It was definitely 1999, given Shaun McRae was the Saints coach in 1997, followed by Ellery Hanley 1998-2000

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Jun 2020, 11:05

Tigerwood posse wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 10:32 Saints fans are moaning about us because, despite only winning the league leaders trophy in recent years, We have been competing with saints more and more, they don’t like that we are a pretty decent side now, they don’t like that we are signing players like Evalds and they see us as a threat!! They would t give a toss about our ground if they were still thrashing us by 70 points, like in the bad old millward days and before!! ..... if we got the new ground at glasshouton, it wouldn’t cost the club anything anyway (other than the money spent in previous years in plans etc) so it would hardly cost any of our salary cap money, seems they are just sulking a bit about losing Thompson to me, 43 year old James Graham is back to save em now, say they should cheer up a bit!!
There's some proper thick (Removed) in that part of the kingdom it would take some doing to get through were spending the full salary cap which was the whole idea to give all teams theoretically a chance and not just the likes of Warrington who's owner as just put a million pound into the club apparently...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Bish Bash

Post by Bish Bash » 29 Jun 2020, 11:09

Fumper27 wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 12:35
old cas lass wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 11:44
Frankas wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 11:33
CasAttack wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:11 I appreciate our ground and Wakefields grounds are crap. The facilities are crap and at points the view can be crap. But those saints fans moaning aint visiting every week. Once or twice a season for 80 minutes. Big wow! Im sure all us Cas fans want better facilities and a shiny new stadium but there isn't much we can do except wait.
You must be a very small person, if you think the view darn lane, no matter where I stand the view has been perfect
Only place I think the view is iffy is in the main stand.
If a high ball is put up you lose sight off it.
Same at the back of the WRE.
Apart from that views are pretty good from the rest of the ground.
To be fair, most of the under cover part of our ground has restricted views at certain angles due to the steel girders holding the roof up. Apart from that, I love OUR home ground
I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Jun 2020, 12:15

I know what your saying I've said same mesen many times at least this time it looked for a long while like the new ground was going to be built
I just think in these times we should be glad if the sport is still going this time next year doubt it will if there's a second wave of the bloody virus just seemed to me a bit childish to be talking about boycotting clubs
Vince Lombardi

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 29 Jun 2020, 19:19

Thanks for the replies about the away game at knowsley rd. I couldn't exactly remember the year, but I was one away from the halftime draw 😟 but I might as well been a thousand away 🤔 Cas forever, forever Cas 🐯

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 29 Jun 2020, 22:13

Fumper27 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 10:56
Tiger53 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 09:41
Fumper27 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 08:02
Tigers1926 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 21:11 Heritage 1926, is that when the Cas fans were singing Barmy Army nonstop for most of the second half at knowsley rd? Rate atmosphere that day even though we lost, but the Cas fans kept singing 🐯 COYF 🏉
I think that game was the ‘99 play off semi. Might of occurred at both though
1997 semi-final not 1999. The chant right through the second half and all the time that Ellery Hanley was trying to address the Saints crowd was unbelievable. A fantastic atmosphere, I loved that night regardless of the fact that we eventually lost. Still have the game on an old video which I kept simply for the crowd atmosphere.
We were crap in 1997. It was definitely 1999, given Shaun McRae was the Saints coach in 1997, followed by Ellery Hanley 1998-2000

We played in the old Premiership Semi Final in 1996 at Knowsley Road. But the constant chanting was in 1999.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 29 Jun 2020, 22:51

Nearly relegated 97 didn’t make the playoffs that year. And i didn’t go to that game. But went to the 99 semi as a 14 year old and couldn’t talk when we got home. Though I think I was still chanting in my sleep. If I remember rightly a load of cas fans did the conga all the way around the ground. Di had put the game on YouTube. I think it’s been taken down but if you watch it Eddie and stevo even come to on the cas fans making all the noise.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 30 Jun 2020, 18:00

Saints fans don't travel in big numbers anyway. Hardly a loss for a few of their forum dwellers to not come.

Not that they're wrong about the facilities; I love WR but false dawn after false dawn regarding a new ground has left a sour taste, and if it's not resolved soon, either with a significant upgrade to WR or a new ground being built, the club will end up risking its place as a pro club.

Fans, players, sponsors - the whole lot.

noxandrattles
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by noxandrattles » 01 Jul 2020, 10:39

Bish Bash wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 11:09
I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.
personally i go to watch the game on the field and not to inspect the ground / toilets so the 'crumbling ground with awful toilets' dont come into it for me

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 01 Jul 2020, 10:42

noxandrattles wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:39
personally i go to watch the game on the field and not to inspect the ground / toilets so the 'crumbling ground with awful toilets' dont come into it for me
Same here.
I’m in ground 45 mins before kick off.
Take my place (same one every game).
Stay there all game.
Clap the boys off at the end.
Then go home.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 01 Jul 2020, 11:04

You ask many away fans.... They may think Wheldon road is a dump but they love to come to it.

I would love to do a few upgrades to WR and stay here long term.

It's not impossible to extend the pitch either. Shorten the Railway end standing are by a few metres to extend the pitch. Stop people moaning about the size.
Last edited by Swagger on 01 Jul 2020, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 01 Jul 2020, 11:04

old cas lass wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:42
Same here.
That’s because you’re old and it takes you that long to walk up them steps To your spot 😂😂😂

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 01 Jul 2020, 11:07

Fumper27 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 11:04
old cas lass wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:42
Same here.
That’s because you’re old and it takes you that long to walk up them steps To your spot 😂😂😂
You couldn’t be more correct.
Knees have gone. :D

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 12 Jul 2020, 11:30

Swagger wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 11:04 You ask many away fans.... They may think Wheldon road is a dump but they love to come to it.

I would love to do a few upgrades to WR and stay here long term.

It's not impossible to extend the pitch either. Shorten the Railway end standing are by a few metres to extend the pitch. Stop people moaning about the size.
Couldnt agree more would far rather see WR upgraded especially as the new ground is looking less and less likely. As for the Railway End allus wondered why the land behind the stand wasnt utilised to extend the pitch.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 12 Jul 2020, 11:40

I know it’s been mentioned before but couldn’t we follow the lead of Wakefield and Featherstone by utilising the knowledge and experience of our supporters to help upgrade the ground and it’s facilities? Offer advertising space in ROAR in lieu of work undertook maybe?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Jul 2020, 11:42

The issue isn't so much the expertise, it is the prohibitive cost and huge health and safety issues.

You can't put lipstick on a pig. It would need completely pulling down and rebuilding, while materials being disposed of safely.

If we stay at WR, the plan would probably be stick roofs on the away end and replace the stands around the existing ones if we can.

Main Stand will probably require a huge amount of fundraising and would need to be extended to the Railway End and WR end.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Jul 2020, 12:47

Featherstones ground was a mess tho they can't have a lot of money but through good thinking and using supporters help theve turned there ground into a tidy ground why can't we do something similar ?
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Jul 2020, 13:42

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 12:47 Featherstones ground was a mess tho they can't have a lot of money but through good thinking and using supporters help theve turned there ground into a tidy ground why can't we do something similar ?
We could - at the Railway End. That is where Fev did theirs.

However, it wouldn't offer what we need long term which is better quality hospitality facilities and all round facilities. It is good for the Championship, not a top 4 SL side.

If we are to stay at WR, it needs rebuilding across the board. The cost of which is estimated at £20m.

It would need a new stand with boxes at the Railway End. A full length main stand with more seating and boxes across the back along with toilet, gym, bar facilities, restaurant all incorporated.

And you would need the basics of new roofs and stands over the Princess St and Wheldon Rd ends at least. However, you would probably need new toilets built in too.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Jul 2020, 14:30

A few years ago in my town.
Mysterious conflagrations consumed listed buildings that had been denied planning permission or needed significant upgrades and remodeling.
It was if some magical being had insights into overcoming obstacles.
Just a light hearted observation of real events not advocating or indeed invoking such supernatural intervention!!!

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 12 Jul 2020, 18:52

How much longer do we obsfucate, bluster and go round in circles re Wheldon Road development.
This issue has a longer track record, of what might have been, than our failure to win the footy world cup again.
Remember Whitwood, Glass Houghton Mk1 aka Richard's folly, now we have the stalled Glass Houghton Mk2......with the current health pandemic and economic downturn any one who thinks this will go ahead needs a reality check.
So, what is our plan B?is there one? as has been mentioned if the capers can revitalise PO Road why can't we?
64M dollar question is cash, have we thought about phased, staged development, have we approached WMDC for a loan to say extend Main stand at each end thus complying with minimum seating requirements
It seems every man and his dog can get a loan from them except us, the abomination that is the Hepworth, Trinity a loan to buy ground at exorbitant cost.
We scotch the perennial embarrassing criticism of toilets and facilities from visiting supporters.
I'm afraid that in the current climate we've missed the boat perhaps with a WMDC loan, so Castleford BoD what are you doing?
If no action is forthcoming then we may not have a problem come 2022
when by all 'in the know' suggest a revue of SL will take place and our SL place could be in jepody