This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Jul 2020, 11:42

The issue isn't so much the expertise, it is the prohibitive cost and huge health and safety issues.

You can't put lipstick on a pig. It would need completely pulling down and rebuilding, while materials being disposed of safely.

If we stay at WR, the plan would probably be stick roofs on the away end and replace the stands around the existing ones if we can.

Main Stand will probably require a huge amount of fundraising and would need to be extended to the Railway End and WR end.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Jul 2020, 12:47

Featherstones ground was a mess tho they can't have a lot of money but through good thinking and using supporters help theve turned there ground into a tidy ground why can't we do something similar ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Jul 2020, 13:42

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 12:47 Featherstones ground was a mess tho they can't have a lot of money but through good thinking and using supporters help theve turned there ground into a tidy ground why can't we do something similar ?
We could - at the Railway End. That is where Fev did theirs.

However, it wouldn't offer what we need long term which is better quality hospitality facilities and all round facilities. It is good for the Championship, not a top 4 SL side.

If we are to stay at WR, it needs rebuilding across the board. The cost of which is estimated at £20m.

It would need a new stand with boxes at the Railway End. A full length main stand with more seating and boxes across the back along with toilet, gym, bar facilities, restaurant all incorporated.

And you would need the basics of new roofs and stands over the Princess St and Wheldon Rd ends at least. However, you would probably need new toilets built in too.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Jul 2020, 14:30

A few years ago in my town.
Mysterious conflagrations consumed listed buildings that had been denied planning permission or needed significant upgrades and remodeling.
It was if some magical being had insights into overcoming obstacles.
Just a light hearted observation of real events not advocating or indeed invoking such supernatural intervention!!!

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 12 Jul 2020, 18:52

How much longer do we obsfucate, bluster and go round in circles re Wheldon Road development.
This issue has a longer track record, of what might have been, than our failure to win the footy world cup again.
Remember Whitwood, Glass Houghton Mk1 aka Richard's folly, now we have the stalled Glass Houghton Mk2......with the current health pandemic and economic downturn any one who thinks this will go ahead needs a reality check.
So, what is our plan B?is there one? as has been mentioned if the capers can revitalise PO Road why can't we?
64M dollar question is cash, have we thought about phased, staged development, have we approached WMDC for a loan to say extend Main stand at each end thus complying with minimum seating requirements
It seems every man and his dog can get a loan from them except us, the abomination that is the Hepworth, Trinity a loan to buy ground at exorbitant cost.
We scotch the perennial embarrassing criticism of toilets and facilities from visiting supporters.
I'm afraid that in the current climate we've missed the boat perhaps with a WMDC loan, so Castleford BoD what are you doing?
If no action is forthcoming then we may not have a problem come 2022
when by all 'in the know' suggest a revue of SL will take place and our SL place could be in jepody

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Jul 2020, 19:14

The out of town shopping ship has sailed along with any chance of a free new ground.
The brick money is occasionally mentioned and we are reminded it's in a Escrow Account not an expert on the subject in fact l ha.
ve no real expertise.
However if both parties agree then the terms of an Escrow account can be changed.
The money is lingering and doing nothing.
I don't know how much is in the account and it will not cover a great deal but it would be a start.
As for our place at the top table.
I never really saw their being a place for a small town in Wakefields team along side Catalan, Toronto, New York.
Perhaps the pandemic may delay such a day or it could be Red Halls incompetence but if the powers that be decided there is no place for heartland clubs they will frame the terms accordingly.
Let's get the show back on the road and enjoy it for what it is.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 12 Jul 2020, 22:40

the happy hooker9 wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 18:52 How much longer do we obsfucate, bluster and go round in circles re Wheldon Road development.
This issue has a longer track record, of what might have been, than our failure to win the footy world cup again.
Remember Whitwood, Glass Houghton Mk1 aka Richard's folly, now we have the stalled Glass Houghton Mk2......with the current health pandemic and economic downturn any one who thinks this will go ahead needs a reality check.
So, what is our plan B?is there one? as has been mentioned if the capers can revitalise PO Road why can't we?
64M dollar question is cash, have we thought about phased, staged development, have we approached WMDC for a loan to say extend Main stand at each end thus complying with minimum seating requirements
It seems every man and his dog can get a loan from them except us, the abomination that is the Hepworth, Trinity a loan to buy ground at exorbitant cost.
We scotch the perennial embarrassing criticism of toilets and facilities from visiting supporters.
I'm afraid that in the current climate we've missed the boat perhaps with a WMDC loan, so Castleford BoD what are you doing?
when by all 'in the know' suggest a revue of SL will take place and our SL place could be in jepody
before covid jon wells was adamant that it would still go ahead but is taking longer than expected. he actually said that we don't need a plan "B" as we'll get the new ground.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Jul 2020, 23:09

First two words are the most telling

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Jul 2020, 06:58

lurcher wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 22:40
the happy hooker9 wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 18:52 How much longer do we obsfucate, bluster and go round in circles re Wheldon Road development.
before covid jon wells was adamant that it would still go ahead but is taking longer than expected. he actually said that we don't need a plan "B" as we'll get the new ground.
We don't need a plan B because we will get the new ground ...where have I heard that before over the last twenty years ...hence the ground is in the state it's in at this moment in time
Vince Lombardi

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by the happy hooker9 » 13 Jul 2020, 09:52

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by the happy hooker9 » 13 Jul 2020, 09:56

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 13 Jul 2020, 10:40

:clap: :clap: That was mint :-({|= :-({|=

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Jul 2020, 12:58

tigerfeat wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 06:58
lurcher wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 22:40
We don't need a plan B because we will get the new ground ...where have I heard that before over the last twenty years ...hence the ground is in the state it's in at this moment in time
i know but i tend to believe wells a bit more than the others that have said it.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Jul 2020, 13:04

Yes hope your right
Young Warrington hooker Danny Walker voted it his favourite ground to play on ...on a online QandA I saw sure there's a lot more think same as well
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Jul 2020, 16:18

casjunction wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 23:09 First two words are the most telling
thats why i started the reply with them ;)

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 13 Jul 2020, 21:47

casjunction wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 19:14 The out of town shopping ship has sailed along with any chance of a free new ground.
The brick money is occasionally mentioned and we are reminded it's in a Escrow Account not an expert on the subject in fact l ha.
ve no real expertise.
However if both parties agree then the terms of an Escrow account can be changed.
The money is lingering and doing nothing.
I don't know how much is in the account and it will not cover a great deal but it would be a start.
As for our place at the top table.
I never really saw their being a place for a small town in Wakefields team along side Catalan, Toronto, New York.
Perhaps the pandemic may delay such a day or it could be Red Halls incompetence but if the powers that be decided there is no place for heartland clubs they will frame the terms accordingly.
Let's get the show back on the road and enjoy it for what it is.
Buy a, brick sales were just over 600. Some holders have asked for refunds, total sales were just under £30,000.
Richard Turner under the guidance of Steve Ferres ensured the money was protected, hence the escrow account.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 14 Jul 2020, 07:52

TT Tiger wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 22:51 Nearly relegated 97 didn’t make the playoffs that year. And i didn’t go to that game. But went to the 99 semi as a 14 year old and couldn’t talk when we got home. Though I think I was still chanting in my sleep. If I remember rightly a load of cas fans did the conga all the way around the ground. Di had put the game on YouTube. I think it’s been taken down but if you watch it Eddie and stevo even come to on the cas fans making all the noise.
You’re right, the chant was the 1999 semi, my memory playing tricks. However, we did reach the semi-finals (Premiership) in 1997 ( think that might have been the year that everyone was in it). Again we lost at St Helens in the semi 32-18 having beaten Halifax and Bradford away in the previous two rounds.