This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
St John Ellis
Posts: 6898
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Fumper27 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 am

Tiger53 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 am
Fumper27 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:02 am
Tigers1926 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:11 pm
Heritage 1926, is that when the Cas fans were singing Barmy Army nonstop for most of the second half at knowsley rd? Rate atmosphere that day even though we lost, but the Cas fans kept singing 🐯 COYF 🏉
I think that game was the ‘99 play off semi. Might of occurred at both though
1997 semi-final not 1999. The chant right through the second half and all the time that Ellery Hanley was trying to address the Saints crowd was unbelievable. A fantastic atmosphere, I loved that night regardless of the fact that we eventually lost. Still have the game on an old video which I kept simply for the crowd atmosphere.
We were crap in 1997. It was definitely 1999, given Shaun McRae was the Saints coach in 1997, followed by Ellery Hanley 1998-2000

tigerfeat
Adrian Vowles
Posts: 9561
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by tigerfeat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 am

Tigerwood posse wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32 am
Saints fans are moaning about us because, despite only winning the league leaders trophy in recent years, We have been competing with saints more and more, they don’t like that we are a pretty decent side now, they don’t like that we are signing players like Evalds and they see us as a threat!! They would t give a toss about our ground if they were still thrashing us by 70 points, like in the bad old millward days and before!! ..... if we got the new ground at glasshouton, it wouldn’t cost the club anything anyway (other than the money spent in previous years in plans etc) so it would hardly cost any of our salary cap money, seems they are just sulking a bit about losing Thompson to me, 43 year old James Graham is back to save em now, say they should cheer up a bit!!
There's some proper thick (Removed) in that part of the kingdom it would take some doing to get through were spending the full salary cap which was the whole idea to give all teams theoretically a chance and not just the likes of Warrington who's owner as just put a million pound into the club apparently...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Bish Bash
Sean Rudder
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 am

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Bish Bash » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

Fumper27 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm
old cas lass wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:44 am
Frankas wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:33 am
CasAttack wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:11 pm
I appreciate our ground and Wakefields grounds are crap. The facilities are crap and at points the view can be crap. But those saints fans moaning aint visiting every week. Once or twice a season for 80 minutes. Big wow! Im sure all us Cas fans want better facilities and a shiny new stadium but there isn't much we can do except wait.
You must be a very small person, if you think the view darn lane, no matter where I stand the view has been perfect
Only place I think the view is iffy is in the main stand.
If a high ball is put up you lose sight off it.
Same at the back of the WRE.
Apart from that views are pretty good from the rest of the ground.
To be fair, most of the under cover part of our ground has restricted views at certain angles due to the steel girders holding the roof up. Apart from that, I love OUR home ground
I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.

tigerfeat
Adrian Vowles
Posts: 9561
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by tigerfeat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 pm

I know what your saying I've said same mesen many times at least this time it looked for a long while like the new ground was going to be built
I just think in these times we should be glad if the sport is still going this time next year doubt it will if there's a second wave of the bloody virus just seemed to me a bit childish to be talking about boycotting clubs
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigers1926
Dean Widders
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Tigers1926 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks for the replies about the away game at knowsley rd. I couldn't exactly remember the year, but I was one away from the halftime draw 😟 but I might as well been a thousand away 🤔 Cas forever, forever Cas 🐯

sirocco7
Dean Widders
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 am

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by sirocco7 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm

Fumper27 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 am
Tiger53 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 am
Fumper27 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:02 am
Tigers1926 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:11 pm
Heritage 1926, is that when the Cas fans were singing Barmy Army nonstop for most of the second half at knowsley rd? Rate atmosphere that day even though we lost, but the Cas fans kept singing 🐯 COYF 🏉
I think that game was the ‘99 play off semi. Might of occurred at both though
1997 semi-final not 1999. The chant right through the second half and all the time that Ellery Hanley was trying to address the Saints crowd was unbelievable. A fantastic atmosphere, I loved that night regardless of the fact that we eventually lost. Still have the game on an old video which I kept simply for the crowd atmosphere.
We were crap in 1997. It was definitely 1999, given Shaun McRae was the Saints coach in 1997, followed by Ellery Hanley 1998-2000

We played in the old Premiership Semi Final in 1996 at Knowsley Road. But the constant chanting was in 1999.

TT Tiger
Danny Orr
Posts: 2289
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by TT Tiger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Nearly relegated 97 didn’t make the playoffs that year. And i didn’t go to that game. But went to the 99 semi as a 14 year old and couldn’t talk when we got home. Though I think I was still chanting in my sleep. If I remember rightly a load of cas fans did the conga all the way around the ground. Di had put the game on YouTube. I think it’s been taken down but if you watch it Eddie and stevo even come to on the cas fans making all the noise.

Squaddie86
Dean Widders
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 am

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Squaddie86 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Saints fans don't travel in big numbers anyway. Hardly a loss for a few of their forum dwellers to not come.

Not that they're wrong about the facilities; I love WR but false dawn after false dawn regarding a new ground has left a sour taste, and if it's not resolved soon, either with a significant upgrade to WR or a new ground being built, the club will end up risking its place as a pro club.

Fans, players, sponsors - the whole lot.

noxandrattles
Dean Widders
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: CAS

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by noxandrattles » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 am

Bish Bash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.
personally i go to watch the game on the field and not to inspect the ground / toilets so the 'crumbling ground with awful toilets' dont come into it for me

User avatar
old cas lass
Malcolm Reilly
Posts: 17446
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by old cas lass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am

noxandrattles wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 am
Bish Bash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.
personally i go to watch the game on the field and not to inspect the ground / toilets so the 'crumbling ground with awful toilets' dont come into it for me
Same here.
I’m in ground 45 mins before kick off.
Take my place (same one every game).
Stay there all game.
Clap the boys off at the end.
Then go home.

Swagger
Danny Orr
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Swagger » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 am

You ask many away fans.... They may think Wheldon road is a dump but they love to come to it.

I would love to do a few upgrades to WR and stay here long term.

It's not impossible to extend the pitch either. Shorten the Railway end standing are by a few metres to extend the pitch. Stop people moaning about the size.
Last edited by Swagger on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fumper27
St John Ellis
Posts: 6898
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Fumper27 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 am

old cas lass wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am
noxandrattles wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 am
Bish Bash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.
personally i go to watch the game on the field and not to inspect the ground / toilets so the 'crumbling ground with awful toilets' dont come into it for me
Same here.
I’m in ground 45 mins before kick off.
That’s because you’re old and it takes you that long to walk up them steps To your spot 😂😂😂

User avatar
old cas lass
Malcolm Reilly
Posts: 17446
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by old cas lass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

Fumper27 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 am
old cas lass wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am
noxandrattles wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 am
Bish Bash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

I think people may be missing the bigger picture with Wheldon Road. Yes we all love the atmosphere and the memories..but it’s never going to attract any new supporters, home or away. We will simply see the crowds reduce year on year. We have taken the p*ss over the years out of super league and the club is taking the p*ss out of us supporters now. £26 to stand in a crumbling ground with awful toilets isn’t good enough. I’m sick of being fobbed off year after year.
personally i go to watch the game on the field and not to inspect the ground / toilets so the 'crumbling ground with awful toilets' dont come into it for me
Same here.
I’m in ground 45 mins before kick off.
That’s because you’re old and it takes you that long to walk up them steps To your spot 😂😂😂
You couldn’t be more correct.
Knees have gone. :D

Hepworth7
Dean Widders
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Hepworth7 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:30 am

Swagger wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 am
You ask many away fans.... They may think Wheldon road is a dump but they love to come to it.

I would love to do a few upgrades to WR and stay here long term.

It's not impossible to extend the pitch either. Shorten the Railway end standing are by a few metres to extend the pitch. Stop people moaning about the size.
Couldnt agree more would far rather see WR upgraded especially as the new ground is looking less and less likely. As for the Railway End allus wondered why the land behind the stand wasnt utilised to extend the pitch.

Fumper27
St John Ellis
Posts: 6898
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Re: This scared me - Away fans boycott Wheldon Road

Post by Fumper27 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:40 am

I know it’s been mentioned before but couldn’t we follow the lead of Wakefield and Featherstone by utilising the knowledge and experience of our supporters to help upgrade the ground and it’s facilities? Offer advertising space in ROAR in lieu of work undertook maybe?

Post Reply