Rule changes

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Rule changes

Post by TT Tiger » 11 Jun 2020, 07:44

Rugby league's proposed temporary rule changes
•Adopting the NRL's 'six again' rule
•The removal of scrums
•Restrictions on the legal point of contact for a third defender in an upright tackle
•Discarding the removal of an interchange for late changes to 21-man squads

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Rule changes

Post by heritage1926 » 11 Jun 2020, 08:16

TT Tiger wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 07:44 Rugby league's proposed temporary rule changes
•Adopting the NRL's 'six again' rule
•The removal of scrums
Restrictions on the legal point of contact for a third defender in an upright tackle
•Discarding the removal of an interchange for late changes to 21-man squads
That's Wigan and Saints stuffed then. Let's just hope the authorities stick to their principles on this one.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Jun 2020, 09:29

Some commonsense in these suggestions if it helps to get the game back on the road safely bring it on

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 11 Jun 2020, 10:19

gateman wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 09:29 Some commonsense in these suggestions if it helps to get the game back on the road safely bring it on
Agree Gateman. Anything that aides getting the game back on is a positive in my eyes

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 11 Jun 2020, 11:16

At the end of the day it'll be how the ref incorporates the rule. So don't hold yer breath. Some of them can't do it now.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Jun 2020, 11:19

I fear for the players the games will be played at breakneck speed by players who havnt had much preparation for the re-start (maybe) and games coming in mid-week as well
I can't for the life of me understand how scraping scrums is going to lead to better safety when players are wraging each other about for 80 minutes
Maybe be more safe to keep scrums and let players get a minutes breather
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Jun 2020, 11:23

Perhaps each side could pack the players, but the two front rows stand 2m apart?
I know lots of people think scrums are a waste of time, but for me they are useful because they open up the field of play so teams can move the ball a bit more on the first tackle.
Not that many teams do. Usually they give the ball straight to a player who just runs into the defensive line.

noxandrattles
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by noxandrattles » 11 Jun 2020, 11:55

nottinghamtiger wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 11:23 Perhaps each side could pack the players, but the two front rows stand 2m apart?
I know lots of people think scrums are a waste of time, but for me they are useful because they open up the field of play so teams can move the ball a bit more on the first tackle.
Not that many teams do. Usually they give the ball straight to a player who just runs into the defensive line.
but they are no longer 'scrums' are they did the old scrums not open up the field of play ? they are (in my opinion which we are all entitled to )a farce

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Jun 2020, 12:15

noxandrattles wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 11:55
nottinghamtiger wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 11:23 Perhaps each side could pack the players, but the two front rows stand 2m apart?
but they are no longer 'scrums' are they did the old scrums not open up the field of play ? they are (in my opinion which we are all entitled to )a farce
No, they aren’t scrums in the old sense of the word. They are re-starts, but with a number of players in the same area, therefore opening up the field of play.
I wouldn’t want to see the return of contested scrums. They are a poor spectacle and you only have to watch RU to see that they disrupt the flow of the game.

North Leeds Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by North Leeds Tiger » 11 Jun 2020, 12:42

why not keep the scrum intact for 5 seconds after the ball is out to keep the space on the field.This could be policed by the stop clock or the linesmen. I know its not Covid friendly but no aspect of a competetive game is.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 11 Jun 2020, 12:44

North Leeds Tiger wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 12:42 why not keep the scrum intact for 5 seconds after the ball is out to keep the space on the field.This could be policed by the stop clock or the linesmen. I know its not Covid friendly but no aspect of a competetive game is.
I think it’s more about reducing a risk that cannot be removed completely.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 11 Jun 2020, 12:46

Scrums need a re-think full stop.
I am not sure how much difference not having 5 seconds leaning on each other makes while a feed takes place makes, when you're going to have 30+ blokes wrestling in tackles 100 times per game.

But, as the general consensus says on here, the fact this is a pathway to getting the game on is the upside.

In other news, RU have reduced their cap significantly, I would suggest that is in direct response to reduced income forecasts which likely includes TV - RL deal is up this year isn't it?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Jun 2020, 12:56

All ready the kick and clap brigade saying there will be a players strike if the salary cap reduced
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 11 Jun 2020, 13:25

I'm in agreement about all apart from the removal of scrums. Yes they seem a farce at times but I'm in agreement with a few others that it opens the field up a little on first tackle plus gives the players a breather. Get rid of the scrums and implement the 6 again rule and the game will be that fast/non stop that players will be knackered after 30 mins leading to more injuries - fatigue, lazy tackle technique etc..