July start is the target...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: July start is the target...

Post by tigerfeat » 07 May 2020, 05:25

Wonder what odds just before a ball is about to be kicked again the players go on strike over money 😉
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 07 May 2020, 06:56

That's possibly correct Tiger. But they should be careful biting the hand that feeds you sort of thing. They might have a valid point to consider taking such action. But is this the time to do it fair enough air their grievances but let's get the game back on track and then discuss it with whoever deals with this sort of thing. Missed my rugby now is not the time to prolong this missery. I'm behind them but now is not the time.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 07 May 2020, 08:11

Just reading what is being said and my question is if there is to be no relegation or promotion due to fairness of teams not being given a level playing field then how can you have a LLS winner, play offs and a GF. You can’t have it both ways can you?

If the above is seen as the way to go then what is anyone playing for?? You will only have a series of games that are no lore than friendlies. Will Sky accept this and still pay as they do? Who would want to watch games that are meaningless?

As we know player safety is paramount and if players don’t want to play what can be done about it? Players are all edged to be talking about a strike if full pay isn’t reinstated when they start again. Are they correct?

You could play out the CC as there aren’t many games left in the competition they could be played at a neutral ground a it is the same for all teams from here on in. If this was behind closed doors then what would that look like? Where would the final be? No need to hire Wembley.

Ashes series is almost impossible to fit in if a July start is decided so again a fortune will be lost bless they reschedule but when to? World Cup year new to year.

What about the fans that have season tickets? Will they be refunded? Would anyone be willing to pay for any games that don’t mean much on a pay per view system? Toronto v Cas with nothing awarded to the winners as there won’t be any threat to either side. We watch the game for what it is now and for the chance to get to play offs and finals. Take that away you have a very diluted product. Who would pay full price to watch it?

Lots of questions and not many answers as yet. If you look at the state of football and all of a sudden the self preservation society then this will surely filter through to other sports. Not as massive but a similar position.

Just to add that the RFL have said that the £16m loan will not behave to pay salaries but the running costs of a club. What is the biggest running cost of a club? Players wages.

Long year ahead, some big decisions to be are and not everyone will come out of this happy.

If the season is void and stopped then started again in January or February ext year would that be a big problem for the game? Who knows.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 07 May 2020, 08:47

Well said Lofthouse.

Noddy

Post by Noddy » 08 May 2020, 13:09

Given the measures which are still in place and the very gradual easing of those measures to allow people to see their families and go to work etc. albeit keeping a safe distance from others, is it really likely that we'll let players come in to close contact with blood, sweat and saliva from other players?
The Chief Medical Officer would have a an opinion I'm sure

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 08 May 2020, 21:16

Noddy wrote: 08 May 2020, 13:09 Given the measures which are still in place and the very gradual easing of those measures to allow people to see their families and go to work etc. albeit keeping a safe distance from others, is it really likely that we'll let players come in to close contact with blood, sweat and saliva from other players?
If it’s about to start in Australia, why not?

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 09 May 2020, 09:36

Fumper27 wrote: 08 May 2020, 21:16
Noddy wrote: 08 May 2020, 13:09 Given the measures which are still in place and the very gradual easing of those measures to allow people to see their families and go to work etc. albeit keeping a safe distance from others, is it really likely that we'll let players come in to close contact with blood, sweat and saliva from other players?
The NRL have enough money to ensure that all involved are isolated, fully tested for covid, have biometric passports and the risk is absolutely minimised.

Does SL have the resources needed?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 May 2020, 10:12

The RL will look closely at what happens when the NRL starts and the major soccer league's and if it becomes feasible they could use some of the loan not sure what the cost would be tho having said that
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 May 2020, 11:44

Squaddie86 wrote: 09 May 2020, 09:36
Fumper27 wrote: 08 May 2020, 21:16
The NRL have enough money to ensure that all involved are isolated, fully tested for covid, have biometric passports and the risk is absolutely minimised.

Does SL have the resources needed?
I don’t know....

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 09 May 2020, 12:08

I think if they are going to have reduced turnaround for games they need to increase the number of Substitues/substitutions and possibly make the games shorter. Player welfare is the most important thing wether it be from covid—19 or game related injuries. Tired players make bad decisions it might be to put their hand up to play when not fit. Or catch someone round the head with a lazy arm. Players bodies will not be match fit when they come back to training. It’s a contact sport and that is something that can’t be replicated without the contact. This is a long road any short cuts could be catastrophic.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 11 May 2020, 00:01

Looks unlikely now...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 12 May 2020, 14:51

It may be July but no chance of watching any games till next season. If they do start in July, and decide on no promotion or relegation and no crowds allowed in, what is the point of starting at all? Just a series of meaningless, in effect friendly matches, with no atmosphere and nothing to play for.