16 million loan to rugby league

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

16 million loan to rugby league

Post by tigerfeat » 01 May 2020, 07:20

Think rugby league the first sport to be given such a loan from the government help secure the sports future
Well done to Ralph Rimmer and all involved in making this happen
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 16 million loan to rugby league

Post by gateman » 01 May 2020, 07:33

This money will be very welcome it may help most of the clubs survive through these very dark times as no one knows how long this is going to go on for,

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 01 May 2020, 07:34

but how do the rugby league pay this back?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 May 2020, 08:08

yorky wrote: 01 May 2020, 07:34 but how do the rugby league pay this back?
Not sure on the details but I think it was vital the sport got the help from government the culture secretary spoke about the value and importance of the rugby league club to there community's
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 01 May 2020, 10:37

Dave Woods states the terms of the loan are not burdensome and I trust him.

We might see it written off anyway.

This money needs to be spent wisely and it is time for our board of directors to ensure our application for funding is water tight and legally valid in each facet we can apply for money.
Audacter Et Sincere

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 01 May 2020, 12:26

Good to see the government helping out. I reckon most clubs will be breathing a bit easier after this news. Will be interesting to see how this is allocated and what any criteria may be for applying for funding.

As for paying it back will it be the RFL that are to pay it back or will the clubs payout be theirs to pay back?

Will there be interest on this loan? Has a term for repayment been agreed?How soon will any club see any of this funding as I am sure it will need to be distributed quite quickly.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 01 May 2020, 12:32

I’ve just seen an interview by Jon Wells on love rugby league, and he says money will be used to help clubs out when the season restarts inevitably playing behind closed doors. Well done to the RFL and particularly Ralph Rimmer on this one. Credit where credit is due, all the chairmen of clubs have been glowing with admiration about the way the RFL has handled the whole situation so far. Less so with SLE and it chairman though. Does this spell the end of having two governing bodies in the sport? I certainly think it should anyway. That would save a good few quid as well.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 01 May 2020, 12:32

Mysterio wrote: 01 May 2020, 10:37 This money needs to be spent wisely and it is time for our board of directors to ensure our application for funding is water tight and legally valid in each facet we can apply for money.
Knowing the RFL, this will almost all go to the RFL, not the clubs. They will make sure they don’t lose the revenue from big-ticket games (Magic Weekend, cup final, Grand Final and the international series) that have to be cancelled.
Not much will find its way down to the clubs in need. It’ll be used to keep the RFL big-wigs in their highly-paid jobs.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 May 2020, 13:29

daytona wrote: 01 May 2020, 12:32 I’ve just seen an interview by Jon Wells on love rugby league, and he says money will be used to help clubs out when the season restarts inevitably playing behind closed doors. Well done to the RFL and particularly Ralph Rimmer on this one. Credit where credit is due, all the chairmen of clubs have been glowing with admiration about the way the RFL has handled the whole situation so far. Less so with SLE and it chairman though. Does this spell the end of having two governing bodies in the sport? I certainly think it should anyway. That would save a good few quid as well.
Agree with you mate and we all know what's gone before but fair play the RL and in particular Ralph Rimmer has played a blinder here he was on the case early doors as well
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 01 May 2020, 14:30

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 01 May 2020, 13:17 Really Notts?
We will see. But Super League clubs and the RFL aren’t exactly on good terms at the moment, mostly due to Elston’s confrontational and arrogant attitude.
The RFL will prioritise the RFL. They will use this cash to replace lost revenue from cancelled events. If there is any left, then they will support clubs - but it’s likely to be lower-league ones and not SL.

hazzy

Post by hazzy » 01 May 2020, 15:18

Hiya Notts,,,, have you got any good news? :roll:

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 01 May 2020, 16:45

hazzy wrote: 01 May 2020, 15:18 Hiya Notts,,,, have you got any good news? :roll:
Our injured players are missing fewer games whilst they recover.
We aren’t suffering any more injuries in training.
I’ve heard all the players will be fully fit by the end of next week. This is the first time we have had a fully-fit squad since 1972.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 01 May 2020, 18:53

Well done to all concerned it's a shot in the arm for the game and will go some way to securing its future. Will not go down the cynical line and have faith in the "bigwigs",many of whom have already taken a hit salary wise,to ensure the funds get to where they're needed, anything else would be totally illogical.

frainthepain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by frainthepain » 02 May 2020, 16:39

I personally am very concerned about how this is gunna be distributed. They say it will go to clubs that need it most... Hull fc claim to be really struggling and on the brink according to the chairman but they have spent a fortune in the winter on recruitment. So if a club like Hull is bailed out and a club like Castleford or Wakefield that has recruited on what it can afford only gets a small amount as it finances are well managed is that fair?? Hull have the most expensive stadium rental in super league surely the Council of Hull or who ever own the stadium needs to give them measures not rugby league or Transfer a high profile player for a fee.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 May 2020, 17:15

I've seen people slaging off clubs who they say shouldn't be getting anything because they won't pay it back to me the money is a lifeline for the sport and one hopes all of rugby league is together in this to start arguing and haggling who's going to get what being the first sport to get government help would just show the sport in a terrible light to people in the country I believe anyway
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 May 2020, 20:35

frainthepain wrote: 02 May 2020, 16:39 I personally am very concerned about how this is gunna be distributed. They say it will go to clubs that need it most... Hull fc claim to be really struggling and on the brink according to the chairman but they have spent a fortune in the winter on recruitment. So if a club like Hull is bailed out and a club like Castleford or Wakefield that has recruited on what it can afford only gets a small amount as it finances are well managed is that fair?? Hull have the most expensive stadium rental in super league surely the Council of Hull or who ever own the stadium needs to give them measures not rugby league or Transfer a high profile player for a fee.
Yes.

Forget who’s done what or who’s in charge where.

Let’s all ensure we all have a game to come back to.

I wouldn’t be upset though if clubs whom have overspent, like Hull, had to sell a few.
Audacter Et Sincere

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 02 May 2020, 21:59

tigerfeat wrote: 02 May 2020, 17:15 I've seen people slaging off clubs who they say shouldn't be getting anything because they won't pay it back to me the money is a lifeline for the sport and one hopes all of rugby league is together in this to start arguing and haggling who's going to get what being the first sport to get government help would just show the sport in a terrible light to people in the country I believe anyway
I echo this, let’s hope all clubs whoever they are come through this unscathed. I trust the RFL to distribute the money where it’s needed most, and I believe they will.

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 04 May 2020, 17:20

I see Hetherington at Leeds first in with the begging bowl

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 05 May 2020, 07:21

I would hope that the long established smaller clubs would get the most help.