Cas team of the decade

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Cas team of the decade

Post by nottinghamtiger » 21 Apr 2020, 10:12

jackknife wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 10:02 If thats the case shouldn't rangi also be omitted?
Not in my opinion. Certainly when I chose him, I was thinking of his first spell at the club rather than we he returned at the end of 2016 and the start of 2017.
When he left the first time, Cas agreed a fee with Salford and did well from the deal. He didn't do a Solomona and just walk out, nor did he do a Hardaker and disrupt the team before the most important game in the club's history (leaving us 150k out of pocket in the process).
When he left Cas in 2017, whilst there were rumours of unprofessionalism, he was also simply behind Gale and Roberts in the pecking order. with Tom Holmes there as cover too.
Rangi was controversial and certainly not a model professional RL player. But he didn't screw the club over like Solomona and Hardaker.
I think there's more of an argument to exclude Carney - but again, we got a good fee for him.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Apr 2020, 10:23

Rangi was in front of Roberts start of 2017 I remember he was on top form in them early games but then had the incident in Ponte where he got badly knocked about only played a few times after that I think before he was shown the exit door
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 21 Apr 2020, 10:40

tigerfeat wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 10:23 Rangi was in front of Roberts start of 2017 I remember he was on top form in them early games but then had the incident in Ponte where he got badly knocked about only played a few times after that I think before he was shown the exit door
You could be right - he was given the 6 shirt and started the first two games, but I don't think Roberts was fully-fit (surprise, surprise) as he was an unused sub in the first game and not selected in the second game.
After that, Roberts started and Rangi was either not selected or played from the bench. His only other start was in round 13 (away at Huddersfield) when Roberts was injured (again).
Whilst I agree that he wasn't the most professional of players in his second spell at the club (don't forget he also turned up at a Featherstone game completed razzled and caused trouble), I don't think he screwed the club over to the same extent that Solomona and Hardaker did.
Magic to watch though.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 22 Apr 2020, 10:26

Hardaker
Carney
Webster
Shenton
Solomona
Roberts
Gale
Watts
Mcshane
Millington
Holmes
Mcmeeken
Milner
Subs
Massey
Moors
Jesse Seni Lafao
Clark
We have 17 players in a team, Eden run Carney very close due to his try scoring, Millo has served Cas for just under a decade and never give less than his best

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Apr 2020, 11:57

Dorn
Solamona
Webster
Shenton
Eden
Orr
Gale
Watts
McShane
Moors
Millington
Sargent
Clark

Milner
Widders
Cook
Chase

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 15 May 2020, 09:27

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... am-2853787

Didn’t want to start a new thread so bobbed it in here.luke gales superleague dream team.some good insight into what he thinks of some of the cas players.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 May 2020, 10:38

Scoopage wrote: 15 May 2020, 09:27 https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... am-2853787

Didn’t want to start a new thread so bobbed it in here.luke gales superleague dream team.some good insight into what he thinks of some of the cas players.
Almost every Cas player who does this kind of thing picks Ollie Holmes.
Interesting, because whilst I think he’s a good player, I‘ve never seen him as one of the best in SL.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 May 2020, 10:51

I agree on Holmes player we miss when he's out
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 May 2020, 11:11

The players know more than we do having crossed the white line and been in the trenches with their team mates.

Oliver Holmes is one player I’ve never seen the attraction, honestly. I shall watch his defensive work with more rigour from now on, but he’s no Dale Fritz. Surely? If we could get a big fee for him and spread it around the squad and with a new signing I’d take it.

I think Cheyse Blair is being primed to take princess’ position by the way. He just needs an offload to his game.
Audacter Et Sincere

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 May 2020, 11:17

Mysterio wrote: 15 May 2020, 11:11 The players know more than we do having crossed the white line and been in the trenches with their team mates.

Oliver Holmes is one player I’ve never seen the attraction, honestly. I shall watch his defensive work with more rigour from now on, but he’s no Dale Fritz. Surely? If we could get a big fee for him and spread it around the squad and with a new signing I’d take it.

I think Cheyse Blair is being primed to take princess’ position by the way. He just needs an offload to his game.
Luke gale as just done his best 13, not from cas but general.
He said Oliver Holmes would be the first name on the team sheet.
Looking through his team, there’s quite a lot from cas.

I’d rather him be in the team than not, just my opinion.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 May 2020, 11:20

old cas lass wrote: 15 May 2020, 11:17
Mysterio wrote: 15 May 2020, 11:11 The players know more than we do having crossed the white line and been in the trenches with their team mates.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 May 2020, 12:29

tigerfeat wrote: 15 May 2020, 10:51 I agree on Holmes player we miss when he's out
Which is more often than not, unfortunately.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 15 May 2020, 12:38

old cas lass wrote: 15 May 2020, 11:20
old cas lass wrote: 15 May 2020, 11:17

I’ve just posted that OCL lol

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 15 May 2020, 13:30

Luke Gale has only picked players he has played with though. That's probably why most from Cas as his best years have been at Cas.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 May 2020, 13:40

Swagger wrote: 15 May 2020, 13:30 Luke Gale has only picked players he has played with though. That's probably why most from Cas as his best years have been at Cas.
He’s picked some from his time with England though.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 15 May 2020, 17:13

nottinghamtiger wrote: 15 May 2020, 13:40
Swagger wrote: 15 May 2020, 13:30 Luke Gale has only picked players he has played with though. That's probably why most from Cas as his best years have been at Cas.
Exactly my point. Players he has played with. Most players are doing it best to ever play Superleague.... I was just saying Gale has picked so many from Cas due to him only picking players he's played with.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 May 2020, 17:19

Swagger wrote: 15 May 2020, 17:13
nottinghamtiger wrote: 15 May 2020, 13:40
Exactly my point. Players he has played with. Most players are doing it best to ever play Superleague.... I was just saying Gale has picked so many from Cas due to him only picking players he's played with.
Sorry, I mis-read your point. Yes, only picking players you have played with (rather than against) does limit his choices.
My point was that he’s picked Holmes ahead of some of the international players he has played with.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 16 May 2020, 00:13

Hardaker
Carney
Webster
Shenton
Eden
Chase
Gale
Watts
McShane
Moors
JSL
McMeeken
Millington

Subs:
Clark D.
Cook
Massey
Holmes O.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 16 May 2020, 15:12

Hardaker
Carney
Webster
Shenton
Solomona
Chase
Gale
Watts
McShane
Millington
Holmes
McMeeken
Milner

Bench:
Moors
Clark
JSL
Sargent

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 16 May 2020, 16:55

Dorn
Carney
Webster
Shenton
Solomona (over Eden as I trust him more)
Chase
Gale
Watts
McShane
Millington
JSL
Holmes
Milner

Hardaker (cover all of back positions)
D Clark
Moors
McMeekan