Tour matches

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tour matches

Post by Ken Smith » 19 Apr 2020, 07:43

Does anybody remember the Australian tour matches in 1963? The Kangaroos played 22 matches and won the Ashes Series 2-1, but apart from defeats against Yorkshire and Lancashire the only matches the only other matches the tourists lost were against Featherstone 23-17 and Castleford 13-12. However 4 years later the Kangaroos although not as strong as the 1963 team were beaten by Cas again who thus became the only club side to beat them in successive tours.
That match was scheduled to be played on Wednesday 8th November but was postponed because of fog, so was rearranged for the following afternoon. So I took a half day’s holiday from work and drove from Redcar along the A19 which at that time wasn’t a dual carriageway, and arrived at Wheldon Road only minutes before kickoff time to witness Cas inflicting the Kangaroos biggest defeat by a club side 22-3 before a crowd of 6,137. It was too late to buy a programme, so I’d be greatfull if anyone could tell me the Cas team on that afternoon.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Tour matches

Post by Tiger53 » 19 Apr 2020, 08:14

1967 Teams:

Castleford: Hill; Briggs, Thomas, Harris, Austin; Edwards, Hepworth; Hartley, Ward, Walton,Bryant,Redfearn,Reilly.

Australia - Langlands;Irvine,Saddler,Moore,Hannigan;Branson,June; Sattler,Walters,Manteit,Thomson,Goldspink,Lynch

Scorers:

Castleford: Tries - Edwards 2 Ward 2 Hepworth, Bryant Goals - Hill 2

Australia: Try - Manteit

This has been taken from the book ‘ Castleford RLFC A Ninety Years Statistical & Pictorial Record 1926-2016 ‘. However, I too was at the game and before I checked the team the one thing I would have said from memory was that Trevor Bedford was at full-back with Derek Edwards at 6. This was true for the proceeding game and for the two immediately after. Seemingly though, Ron Hill was full-back against the Aussies.

Just shows how the memory plays tricks, I would have bet significantly on my memory being right.

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 19 Apr 2020, 12:14

Tiger53 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 08:14 1967 Teams:

Castleford: Hill; Briggs, Thomas, Harris, Austin; Edwards, Hepworth; Hartley, Ward, Walton,Bryant,Redfearn,Reilly.

Australia - Langlands;Irvine,Saddler,Moore,Hannigan;Branson,June; Sattler,Walters,Manteit,Thomson,Goldspink,Lynch

Scorers:

Castleford: Tries - Edwards 2 Ward 2 Hepworth, Bryant Goals - Hill 2

Australia: Try - Manteit

This has been taken from the book ‘ Castleford RLFC A Ninety Years Statistical & Pictorial Record 1926-2016 ‘. However, I too was at the game and before I checked the team the one thing I would have said from memory was that Trevor Bedford was at full-back with Derek Edwards at 6. This was true for the proceeding game and for the two immediately after. Seemingly though, Ron Hill was full-back against the Aussies.

Just shows how the memory plays tricks, I would have bet significantly on my memory being right.
The part I remember about the match besides winning was Sattler came over with a reputation of being a bruiser.

He started a fight with Reilly who threw punches Cassius Clay would have been proud of, his fists were like pistons and Sattler had no answer to them.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Apr 2020, 12:19

I'd have like to have seen that again remember me and me dad going to the game
Don't think I ever saw anybody get better of Mal all time I watched him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 19 Apr 2020, 13:09

Thanks to Tiger 53 and sparky 49 for the information.

noxandrattles
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by noxandrattles » 19 Apr 2020, 16:15

Ken Smith wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 07:43 Does anybody remember the Australian tour matches in 1963? The Kangaroos played 22 matches and won the Ashes Series 2-1, but apart from defeats against Yorkshire and Lancashire the only matches the only other matches the tourists lost were against Featherstone 23-17 and Castleford 13-12. However 4 years later the Kangaroos although not as strong as the 1963 team were beaten by Cas again who thus became the only club side to beat them in successive tours.
That match was scheduled to be played on Wednesday 8th November but was postponed because of fog, so was rearranged for the following afternoon. So I took a half day’s holiday from work and drove from Redcar along the A19 which at that time wasn’t a dual carriageway, and arrived at Wheldon Road only minutes before kickoff time to witness Cas inflicting the Kangaroos biggest defeat by a club side 22-3 before a crowd of 6,137. It was too late to buy a programme, so I’d be greatfull if anyone could tell me the Cas team on that afternoon.
we were given the afternoon off school to go to this game