1999 Playoff at Wigan

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Bish Bash

1999 Playoff at Wigan

Post by Bish Bash » 09 Apr 2020, 22:57

Good thing about being stuck in house is chance to watch old games on You Tube. Just watched Wigan Game in 99 play offs. I always remember Vowlsy having a great game but how good was Ian Tonks? Every drive took players with him and landed on front with quick play the ball. Never realised how good he was. Danny Orr, what a game. He tackled everything that moved.

The game was so fast and that’s because there was no wrestle. That has killed the game and slowed it right down. Play the balls were fast, quick breaks, last ditch tackles...it was exciting.

I also watched a game from 1980’s but the skill levels seemed so poor but I forgot how good some of our players were. Tony Marchant, John Joyner, Plangy...great watching them and thanks to whoever took the time to put them on there (Diddididi??). They are keep me sane! 👏👏

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: 1999 Playoff at Wigan

Post by sparky49 » 10 Apr 2020, 22:23

I have watched Kent Invicta v Cas 1984, Cas v Hull k r 1985 and Cas v Hull cup semi 1985. What a workhorse beefy England was, which we had one like him now, also all the forgotten players good to see them again and decent refs.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Apr 2020, 08:02

i keep coming up with this old chestnut is the game better with all the changes that have been made over the years ???, i think this is open to debate

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Apr 2020, 10:04

gateman wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 08:02 i keep coming up with this old chestnut is the game better with all the changes that have been made over the years ???, i think this is open to debate
I don’t think so, but that’s not to say I don’t enjoy the modern game.
I think a few things have led to a less exciting game. Mostly the ‘wrestle’ in the tackle. I think it’s come about with the now normal three-man tackle (with the third man joining when the player’s momentum has stopped). As a result, the game is slower as the tackle takes longer to complete. It didn’t used to happen and I think it’s due to the fitness levels of players. Nowadays, one of the three tacklers has to get back into the defensive line. That’s not a problem for modern players, but it was for many players in the 80s/90s. Players didn’t join a tackle if there were already two others involved, as they often didn’t have the fitness to get back in the defensive line afterwards and would be caught offside.
I think there’s a few things we could do to open up the game and get back some of the excitement.
Personally, I’d make every set 8 tackles. That would lead to more if the game taking place at both ends of the field, and therefore more attacking play and more tries.
We could reduce the number of players to 11, giving more space for attacking.
I don’t think the game would suffer if we removed kicked penalties, conversions and drop-goals either. Drop-goals do bring excitement, so perhaps they should only be allowed when scores are level after 70 minutes!
I do think we could improve the game with some significant on-field changes to how it is played.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Apr 2020, 10:48

The Wigan v Saints game that was on sky yesterday showed how good a game rugby league is when the ref stays out of the way there's no wrestling and messing about and players are happy to try moves that if they go wrong there not going to get a rollicking from the coach and that was only back in 2003 I think
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 13 Apr 2020, 10:22

Thing is if you have a 10m offside then the Ref has to allow the defence to slow down the ptb (against the rules of the game) in order for them to reset themselves. If he didn't then we would have either offside defence and a penalty or retreating defence and carnage pretty much every ptb,
Seemingly random penalties at the tedious, scruffy ptb for the sake of it don't help.
Tricky one this.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Apr 2020, 12:15

corvusxiii wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 10:22 Thing is if you have a 10m offside then the Ref has to allow the defence to slow down the ptb (against the rules of the game) in order for them to reset themselves. If he didn't then we would have either offside defence and a penalty or retreating defence and carnage pretty much every ptb,
Seemingly random penalties at the tedious, scruffy ptb for the sake of it don't help.
Tricky one this.
Not really , go back to the old 5 metre rule, cuts down the speed of the collisions which should reduce injuries and would bring back into play the ball handling forwards.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 13 Apr 2020, 12:27

The Castleford defence that night was the best I have ever seen. I have never seen the levels of commitment and pure adrenaline and intensity for a full 80 minutes, and to me, it betters the defensive effort in the 94 final and any game of 2017.

Watch it again, it was Stuart Raper’s finest hour closely alongside the next game against Leeds.

Amazing times to be a cas fan, and yet again, we were only 2 or so world class signings away from a sustained period of dominance.

The problem is our budget only stretched to Logan Campbell, Andrew Purcell and Darren Shaw. Coupled with limited pros such as Craig Wright and Paul Smith in the pack, we went backwards and Stuart quite obviously had no choice but to leave to continue his journey as a progressive coach.

He’d have stayed if we’d matched his ambitions.
I fear the same with Daryl although the club has backed him with signings thus far.
Audacter Et Sincere

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Apr 2020, 12:41

Them two wins against Wigan and Leeds were great efforts
Game I always will remember Stuart Raper for was the home game against Oldham when we were staring relegation in the face and losing by 18 -20 points at half time I think it was course we fought back second half with Stuart going through agony pacing up and down touch line hardly able to watch ...weren't on his own either

Still got somewhere the review he used to do at Xmas with a Cas Player ha
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 14 Apr 2020, 08:08

tigerfeat wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 12:41 Them two wins against Wigan and Leeds were great efforts
Game I always will remember Stuart Raper for was the home game against Oldham when we were staring relegation in the face and losing by 18 -20 points at half time I think it was course we fought back second half with Stuart going through agony pacing up and down touch line hardly able to watch ...weren't on his own either

Still got somewhere the review he used to do at Xmas with a Cas Player ha
Listened to Vowlsey on Tiger TV the other day and he mentioned that game.
Raper was an ex Oldham player too wasn’t he?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Apr 2020, 08:35

Think he did play for them for one season also Oldhams coach that day was Bob Lindner who had played for us
Have to try and find a replay of that game I seem to remember Brad Davies having a great second half
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 14 Apr 2020, 10:28

tigerfeat wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 08:35 Think he did play for them for one season also Oldhams coach that day was Bob Lindner who had played for us
Have to try and find a replay of that game I seem to remember Brad Davies having a great second half
Absolutely

I would LOVE to see that game or even highlights.

What did the game go like and who was our best,
Audacter Et Sincere

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 14 Apr 2020, 10:32

Back to the Wigan game and I think we watered their chips good and propper. Wasn't it the first game at their new stadium?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 14 Apr 2020, 10:32

Watched a snippet of an ausie match on YouTube. Can't remember now what team was but Grant mllington was sin binned for brawling. Unusual to see.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Apr 2020, 10:44

Mysterio wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 10:28
tigerfeat wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 08:35 Think he did play for them for one season also Oldhams coach that day was Bob Lindner who had played for us
Absolutely

Think game was on sky I've not seen replay of it but we were getting hammered and turned it round in second half like I say I seem to remember Brad Davies being man behind fight back but not sure
Vince Lombardi

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 18 Apr 2020, 14:31

tigerfeat wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 10:44

Did we not get a penalty try in the closing stages to win the game, and I don't think it should have been given. It was a dubious one (if I'm thinking of the right game???)

Absolutely

Think game was on sky I've not seen replay of it but we were getting hammered and turned it round in second half like I say I seem to remember Brad Davies being man behind fight back but not sure

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 18 Apr 2020, 15:35

Captain wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:31
tigerfeat wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 10:44

Did we not get a penalty try in the closing stages to win the game, and I don't think it should have been given. It was a dubious one (if I'm thinking of the right game???)

Absolutely

Yes penalty try goodwin tackled critchley before he had received the ball.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Apr 2020, 10:55

I've looked on you tube for the match can't find it tho

I mean the Oldham game
Vince Lombardi