How are we going to help the club survive?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: How are we going to help the club survive?

Post by nottinghamtiger » 01 Apr 2020, 09:50

mdean wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 09:30 Notts, Derby - Adding in NW Leics, right on the border of both -

That is the quandary for all people asked to Furlough, if everyone knew 3 months at 80% or £2500 was the end of it, I think most people would do it for the greater good. The difficulty is will it be done in 3 months?
Having the same conversations in my company right now.
And it has to be remembered that they players have mortgages (or rent, as it can be very hard to secure a mortgage as an athlete) and bills to pay that they have used their salary to commit to. Many have families and will also have partners now out of work completely too, so their household income might have already gone down dramatically.
My view would be the furlough the players to access the financial support up to the £2,500 limit and then talk to players individually about what they need to be paid by the club on top of this.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 01 Apr 2020, 11:45

nottinghamtiger wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 09:50
mdean wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 09:30 Notts, Derby - Adding in NW Leics, right on the border of both -

That is the quandary for all people asked to Furlough, if everyone knew 3 months at 80% or £2500 was the end of it, I think most people would do it for the greater good. The difficulty is will it be done in 3 months?
And it has to be remembered that they players have mortgages (or rent, as it can be very hard to secure a mortgage as an athlete) and bills to pay that they have used their salary to commit to. Many have families and will also have partners now out of work completely too, so their household income might have already gone down dramatically.
My view would be the furlough the players to access the financial support up to the £2,500 limit and then talk to players individually about what they need to be paid by the club on top of this.
Mortgage lenders are, by and large, offering payment deferrals and evictions from rented properties are now illegal. Whilst £2,500 a month may not be what some are used to, you can more than live on it if your major 'debt' (mortgage or rent) is postponed. It should even be possible to put some aside if the 3 month abeyance isn't extended.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 01 Apr 2020, 14:05

I know it’s not a nice option to have to explore for people used to supporting themselves but don’t forget that universal credit is an option to apply for if the £2500 per month results in a reduction in your usual wage. The club topping up the furlough payments sounds simple but can the club afford it? Let’s not forget that any payments made, including the £2500 furlough scheme payment, are still subject to the usual tax/deductions etc... so it would increase the clubs PAYE bill. I would personally think that most players could adjust in order to live on the £2500 for a period of time as long as they make use of all of the payment breaks being made available from lenders etc...

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 01 Apr 2020, 19:41

a family should be able to live on £600 a week many family's do a weekly basis we are all in this together i have heard on the news that some top paid footballers are being paid in full but the clubs are asking for government aid to pay the none playing staff how can this be justified ??

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 01 Apr 2020, 20:51

gateman wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 19:41 a family should be able to live on £600 a week
Not if their outgoings are £601 a week. It’s all sky living within our means.

Darnsarf

Post by Darnsarf » 01 Apr 2020, 21:47

derbystiger wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 14:05

I know it’s not a nice option to have to explore for people used to supporting themselves but don’t forget that universal credit is an option to apply for if the £2500 per month results in a reduction in your usual wage. The club topping up the furlough payments sounds simple but can the club afford it? Let’s not forget that any payments made, including the £2500 furlough scheme payment, are still subject to the usual tax/deductions etc... so it would increase the clubs PAYE bill. I would personally think that most players could adjust in order to live on the £2500 for a period of time as long as they make use of all of the payment breaks being made available from lenders etc...
The £2500 payment would be made to the club towards their player salary costs so is not in itself subject to tax. The clubs PAYE bill is based on the salaries they are paying the players and is not affected by the Job Retention Scheme, Actually the scheme will compensate the club up to £2500/month salary costs plus employers NI and pension contributions

Garlow

Post by Garlow » 02 Apr 2020, 11:53

Do you think organizing online events and taking in donations would help?

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 Apr 2020, 12:26

Garlow wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 11:53 Do you think organizing online events and taking in donations would help?
Yes I do.
I think we need a plethora of ideas,
Audacter Et Sincere

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Apr 2020, 12:56

Gary Hethrington said yesterday he thought Leeds would lose 1.5 million I presume he meant if the game starts again late summer
He had plans to play mid week games extend season move challange cup to Tottenhams ground get as much in as possible if that was what was to happen
Can't remember seeing what situation was at Cas or what we faced in the months ahead or what situation was with players wether we had applied to be furloughed
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 02 Apr 2020, 13:32

'If' the season starts again, and its a big 'if' at the moment I reckon, how many season ticket holders would be willing to hand their ticket back in and pay at the gate for the remaining home games? I would but I'm in a fortunate position that I could afford it financially. I appreciate that some wouldn't be able to afford it but those who can it could be an idea?

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 02 Apr 2020, 13:34

Mysterio wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 12:26
Garlow wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 11:53 Do you think organizing online events and taking in donations would help?
Yes I do.
I think we need a plethora of ideas,
Maybe a 'virtual ticket' for the fixtures that are not being played at the moment? Also a virtual pint/burger etc..

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Apr 2020, 13:39

Good idea mate I saw the other do they were doing virtual cas games I saw they were giving score updates didn't know what it was at first ...maybe do something with that I don't know
Vince Lombardi

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 05 Apr 2020, 14:34

Does anyone know if IF has deferred any interest payments until this is over?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Apr 2020, 07:52

The RL have received all there sky money that will be sent out to clubs this month R.Rimmer says
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Apr 2020, 09:41

i can see the club asking us season ticket holders to donate the value we have left on our season tickets to the club if we do not play another match this season

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 06 Apr 2020, 14:25

gateman wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 09:41 i can see the club asking us season ticket holders to donate the value we have left on our season tickets to the club if we do not play another match this season
They could make it a voluntary scheme to donate back the value of the games not used so that those who can afford it and want to can?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Apr 2020, 16:12

derbystiger wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 14:25
gateman wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 09:41 i can see the club asking us season ticket holders to donate the value we have left on our season tickets to the club if we do not play another match this season
They could make it a voluntary scheme to donate back the value of the games not used so that those who can afford it and want to can?
i agree that was my thinking mate

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Apr 2020, 16:21

Why not ask the club to do this and donate it to the NHS?

There are far more important things and people in need of help than any sports club.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 06 Apr 2020, 16:34

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 16:21 Why not ask the club to do this and donate it to the NHS?

There are far more important things and people in need of help than any sports club.
It's not just the NHS that need support either - there are a lot more front line key workers out there that aren't get the recognition they deserve as everything seems centred around the NHS at the moment - but thats another discussion