How are we going to help the club survive?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

How are we going to help the club survive?

Post by Mysterio » 16 Mar 2020, 12:15

Yes. Survive.

The ramifications of the suspension of the season will push lots of clubs including ours to the very edge of administration if you ask me!

Clubs like Salford, Hull KR, us, we’re going to have to think of things FAST.

TIGERS TV CLASSIC GAMES EVERY SUNDAY £5 each is my shout. For now.
Audacter Et Sincere

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: How are we going to help the club survive?

Post by Burratha » 16 Mar 2020, 12:42

Depending on what happens to the rest of the season, I think a gesture from season ticket holders to not ask for any kind of refund would probably help, too. Possibly not a popular suggestion, as people don't really want to throw money away from, however I don't think the club would benefit from mass refunds.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 16 Mar 2020, 13:20

Burratha wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 12:42 Depending on what happens to the rest of the season, I think a gesture from season ticket holders to not ask for any kind of refund would probably help, too. Possibly not a popular suggestion, as people don't really want to throw money away from, however I don't think the club would benefit from mass refunds.
Better off asking season tickets holders to not ask for refunds, offer free access to Tiger TV and then offer big discounts to renewals next season. Club can't afford to pay refunds right now.

Hopefully season just on hold and will continue soon enough.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Mar 2020, 13:29

I definitely wouldn’t be asking for a refund.
I hope the season is just on hold for a few weeks then we can crack on with it.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Mar 2020, 13:42

The ramifications for businesses are going to be huge here, including Cas Tigers.
No revenue coming in, but still contracted to pay employees.
I don’t think there is a way to compensate fully for lost revenue from ticket sales and match-day sales etc. That is IF games are cancelled and not rescheduled.
It will be a business case of getting rid of everyone on 0 hour contracts to start with and using contracted employees (including players if necessary) to fill the roles in retail etc.
There won’t be the expense of staffing match-days (retail and stewarding etc) so that’s will offset lost revenue to some extent.
Then ask supporters to buy as much merchandise etc as possible.
Another option is to put 2021 season tickets on sale now. However, that might have implications for more long-term income and simply be ‘borrowing from Peter to pay Paul’, as the saying goes.
There are other options - a limited number of lifetime memberships could be considered. Or maybe a limited number of 10 year passes could be offered?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Mar 2020, 13:44

Burratha wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 12:42 Depending on what happens to the rest of the season, I think a gesture from season ticket holders to not ask for any kind of refund would probably help, too. Possibly not a popular suggestion, as people don't really want to throw money away from, however I don't think the club would benefit from mass refunds.
I think most season ticket holders would forgo a refund in the circumstances. If the club make it clear than refunding all season ticket holders would result in the club ceasing to exist, I don’t think many would take the cash.

noxandrattles
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by noxandrattles » 16 Mar 2020, 13:58

no intention of asking for or accepting a refund for our season tickets, we buy them to give the club much needed revenue and not to save a few quid on entrance fees etc

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Mar 2020, 14:08

The first thing that needs to happen if games are postponed is the cancellation of the Challenge Cup. Clubs do not rely on that competition for revenue as they can be drawn away in every round (I don’t think revenue is halved up until the semi-final stage) and clubs survive every season even if they go out in the first game they play.
League games need to take priority. There may be issues with central funding from the BBC, but we need to preserve the clubs first and foremost.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 16 Mar 2020, 14:25

Whilst each Club is in the business of providing rugby to watch, at the end of the day they are a business. As harsh as it may seem, like many businesses, airlines in particular, are laying off staff or asking them to take unpaid leave.

The same would have to apply to RL clubs. whether our sponsoros could step in and offer the player short-term employment is one option but with the economy now falling aprtr, this may not be possible.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Tigertail

Post by Tigertail » 16 Mar 2020, 14:44

Flat Capper wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:25 Whilst each Club is in the business of providing rugby to watch, at the end of the day they are a business. As harsh as it may seem, like many businesses, airlines in particular, are laying off staff or asking them to take unpaid leave.

The same would have to apply to RL clubs. whether our sponsoros could step in and offer the player short-term employment is one option but with the economy now falling aprtr, this may not be possible.
It will be a fight for survival within the economy and I would think many of the clubs sponsors will be worrying themselves about how they are going to keep there own staff going should we all go in isolation indefintely. Unprecedented times lie ahead

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 16 Mar 2020, 14:52

Eamonn McManus sums it up perfectly for me; taken from the beeb website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51905897

The whole sport is on the line here. For a damn illness.

If the odds are that one in three folks are going to get it, and we’re going to have to rely upon our immune system; if this IS an act of ‘God’, then why let it affect the life of anyone under a certain age Or Criterion.

Let’s carry on as normal under this criterion. If 60% - 80% of fans and players can cope with catching the illness, let’s take it on the chin,

I’d want my parents In their 60s/70s to self isolate until a vaccine is discovered.

There has to be a way forwards. We cannot all give in to this.

Protocol needs identifying and establishing and then we go forward.
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Mar 2020, 15:02

In the RFL’s shoes, I’d be drawing up a revised fixture list that removes the Challenge cup and loop fixtures.
If everything stops now, we’d need to level up the games played first so everyone has played 7. That would take a couple of weeks as Catalans would need to play twice, with some teams playing once and other teams not playing.
We’d then have 15 games left to play. That’s about four months’ worth of games, so as long as they started again in June, we should have enough time for a play-off series in October (maybe a shorter version with just two semi finals a la 2017, then the Grand Final on the date it is already booked for).
Clubs would lose three home games from the loop fixtures, but we’d get the league season done.
All pie on the sky at the moment as everything is so uncertain, but I think it’s inevitable that we’ll lose a considerable number of games so it might be the best way forward.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Mar 2020, 15:07

Mysterio wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:52 Eamonn McManus sums it up perfectly for me; taken from the beeb website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51905897

The whole sport is on the line here. For a damn illness.

If the odds are that one in three folks are going to get it, and we’re going to have to rely upon our immune system; if this IS an act of ‘God’, then why let it affect the life of anyone under a certain age Or Criterion.

Let’s carry on as normal under this criterion. If 60% - 80% of fans and players can cope with catching the illness, let’s take it on the chin,

I’d want my parents In their 60s/70s to self isolate until a vaccine is discovered.

There has to be a way forwards. We cannot all give in to this.

Protocol needs identifying and establishing and then we go forward.
McManus seems to have missed the bigger picture.
The government is dealing with an unprecedented health crisis. Almost all additional financial resources will be going into the NHS. There simply isn’t the money for the government to bail out every business that goes bankrupt in the next few months or so.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 16 Mar 2020, 15:42

Where’s £5billion appeared from though?
Of course sports like ours should be helped out where possible.

Regarding rhe NHS if everyone just accepted they might get a minor illness if generally fit and healthy and under 60, we’d have nothing to worry about.

#isolateover60s #everythingelsegoeson
Audacter Et Sincere

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Mar 2020, 15:58

Mysterio wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:42 Where’s £5billion appeared from though?

Regarding rhe NHS if everyone just accepted they might get a minor illness if generally fit and healthy and under 60, we’d have nothing to worry about.

Hey, I’m over 60, fit as a fiddle apart from 2 dicky knees and arthritis in the spine.
No heart problems, no breathing problems, don’t suffer from asthma.
Should I really lock myself away for 2/3 weeks.
There’s folk under 60 I know who health wise worse than me.
Imo it’s down to older folk who have under lying health problems that needs to isolate, I’m trying to carryon as normal. If and god forbid I do contract the virus or start feeling ill I will lock myself away for a few weeks.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 16 Mar 2020, 16:24

old cas lass wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:58
Mysterio wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:42 Where’s £5billion appeared from though?

Hey, I’m over 60, fit as a fiddle apart from 2 dicky knees and arthritis in the spine.
No heart problems, no breathing problems, don’t suffer from asthma.
Should I really lock myself away for 2/3 weeks.
There’s folk under 60 I know who health wise worse than me.
Imo it’s down to older folk who have under lying health problems that needs to isolate, I’m trying to carryon as normal. If and god forbid I do contract the virus or start feeling ill I will lock myself away for a few weeks.
That’s your decision to make OCL x 😘🤣
As it should be for everyone.
Is there anyone Genuinely under 60 without any pre existing respiratory illness actually worries about contracting this virus?
Audacter Et Sincere

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 16 Mar 2020, 17:18

nottinghamtiger wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:02 ...I’d be drawing up a revised fixture list that removes the Challenge cup and loop fixtures...
Bear in mind we've already played a number of loop fixtures (our Toronto game was one, for a starter) - I suppose we could technically lose our home game, but I believe all of Toronto's games so far are either their away obligations or their "on the road" loop fixtures.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Mar 2020, 17:29

Burratha wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 17:18
nottinghamtiger wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:02 ...I’d be drawing up a revised fixture list that removes the Challenge cup and loop fixtures...
Bear in mind we've already played a number of loop fixtures (our Toronto game was one, for a starter) - I suppose we could technically lose our home game, but I believe all of Toronto's games so far are either their away obligations or their "on the road" loop fixtures.
Yes, but for want of a better word, they can be ‘unlooped’. No teams have played each other twice, so a fixture list could be created that resulted in each team playing each other team home and away,
As you say, the Toronto issue might have some implications. However, as far as I’m concerned the game at Headingly was a home game for them and an away one for us, so IF we reduced the season in that way the remaining fixture should be at WR. I think the rest of their games have been “away” games too, bar the St Helens game played at Warrington. Again, if that was considered to be their home game the remaining fixture should be at Saints.
There isn’t going to be an ideal solution though.

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 16 Mar 2020, 17:40

Seems to be quite a few putting the onus on the
fans to spend money on the club,what’s up with the multi millionaire owner spending to keep the club afloat at the end of day he owns the club not the fans

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 16 Mar 2020, 17:58

Well said .