What to do when games go behind closed doors?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

What to do when games go behind closed doors?

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2020, 21:38

There is an increasing likelihood that games are going to have to go behind closed doors at some point in the future. What can the club do that would keep revenue coming instead of ticket/drinks/merchandise revenue?

This isn't a bashing thread but more an ideas thread that can help the club keep generating revenue over this period to keep the club sustainable.

My ideas:
1. Seek permission to stream all home games on TigersTV and drive subscriptions on a game by game basis/ monthly basis

2. New lottery where fans can pay an amount to win certain prizes through sponsors/businesses

3. Donate ticket price we would receive for every non-away game with every donation going towards a discount off 2021 season tickets

4. Digital match programmes - actually upload digital programmes online for people to purchase on a subscription basis.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Re: What to do when games go behind closed doors?

Post by Mucky1978 » 12 Mar 2020, 21:45

Close the season for 6 weeks
If all ok play twice a week.
If not go to behind closed doors and scrap playing teams 3 times.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Mar 2020, 21:59

I think as Mucky says.
Take a mid season break and extend the season and start next season a little later.
With a bit of imagination and creativity the challenges are not insurmountable.
Oh wait a minute imagination and creativity are not in the RFL vocabulary.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Mar 2020, 22:03

Looking at tonights game Hull won't have to worry about large assemblies of people at their games

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Mar 2020, 22:05

Like your ideas 1 & 3 Hudds, I could go with those 2 but maybe Sky could/would show more games where fans. Luke pay per game at a reduced price. A bit like they show all Championship games in midweek. That money could then go to the club less expenses.

Option 2 are you hinting that the prizes could be for winners to attend games in limited numbers?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Mar 2020, 22:13

It’s going to be a massive challenge if/when it happens. I don’t think it’s possible for the club to replace most of the lost income.
They may also have to offer proportional refunds to season ticket holders.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 12 Mar 2020, 22:28

casjunction wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 22:03 Looking at tonights game Hull won't have to worry about large assemblies of people at their games
😂It's like watching a car crash,you know you shouldn't be watching but you can't help it! I'm not sure how many ways there are to shoot yourself in the foot but Hull have done them all tonight and invented a few new ones.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2020, 23:10

Mucky1978 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 21:45 Close the season for 6 weeks
If all ok play twice a week.
If not go to behind closed doors and scrap playing teams 3 times.

All well and good but the government said that its height this likely to last for 12-14 weeks.

And how would the club generate revenue behind closed doors? It isn't financially sustainable so we are going to have to be innovative as a club to think of ways to get revenue and us as fans are going to have to be supportive in terms of helping keep revenue up where we can in order to not screw the club up. It is a time to pull together.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 12 Mar 2020, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 12 Mar 2020, 23:12

I genuinely can’t see the game surviving in it’s current professional format if we go behind closed doors for any length of time. I agree with suspending the season, scrap loop fixtures and play through winter with another mini break for Ashes tour in Autumn.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2020, 23:14

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 22:05 Like your ideas 1 & 3 Hudds, I could go with those 2 but maybe Sky could/would show more games where fans. Luke pay per game at a reduced price. A bit like they show all Championship games in midweek. That money could then go to the club less expenses.

Option 2 are you hinting that the prizes could be for winners to attend games in limited numbers?
Not sure on Sky but I think we have to start thinking of ways outside of broadcasting.

Prizes could be anything. New bathroom, new car, tech items, free apparel, free ST.

We will have to see what limitations are put on the club but anything that can generate income. They are going to have to do something to replace the Golden Gamble and really push a digital first approach now.

Hell it might actually push clubs including our own into thinking digital first in terms of revenue.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2020, 23:16

daytona wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 23:12 I genuinely can’t see the game surviving in it’s current professional format if we go behind closed doors for any length of time. I agree with suspending the season, scrap loop fixtures and play through winter with another mini break for Ashes tour in Autumn.
Loop fixtures can't be scrapped as Toronto have played all theirs at the start. It would give an unfair advantage to some sides including us not going to Toronto and them missing out on 4 home games too.

Likely Magic will be scrapped which is one week.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 12 Mar 2020, 23:30

HuddsTigers wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 23:16
daytona wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 23:12 I genuinely can’t see the game surviving in it’s current professional format if we go behind closed doors for any length of time. I agree with suspending the season, scrap loop fixtures and play through winter with another mini break for Ashes tour in Autumn.
Loop fixtures can't be scrapped as Toronto have played all theirs at the start. It would give an unfair advantage to some sides including us not going to Toronto and them missing out on 4 home games too.

Likely Magic will be scrapped which is one week.
I suppose it all depends how long the suspension would last as to whether we could fit the extra loop fixtures in. I suppose we could conceivably run season while Late January then start next season in early April. I think the alternative playing behind closed doors would spell the end for large swathes of clubs in all leagues. The game is going to be fighting for survival and the game has to come first before what’s fair and what isn’t in my opinion.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Mar 2020, 23:50

We are talking of a pandemic.
If the government wakes up and takez the draconian measures it needs to.
We will be more worried about ourselves our families whether we have a job or an income.
Love Cas as l do in the grand scheme of things the viability of the club may not be my number one consideration.
Keep well and safe Cas fans.
Not all of us are as young as we once were.
COYF
But take care of yourselves.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 13 Mar 2020, 08:07

If we're not allowed in the ground. Then we'll all just go stand on the railway and watch.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 13 Mar 2020, 09:09

Scrap the challenge cup for a year and have a 1 month break. Play games on challenge cup weekends. Might have to double up a week or two but that’s what the reserves is for?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Mar 2020, 09:18

its no good trying to put a time limit on when the games should be shut down and started its an open book how long this problem is going to be with us, what ever the government says we will have to obey follow the advice that is been given out take sensible precautions the world is in this together

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 13 Mar 2020, 09:33

Like someone else said. Would be a great idea if we can get them on Cas tigers TV and charge for it. Season ticket holders should get it for free but charge everyone else £5 for the game or something.

Need to keep the money coming in somehow. Clubs like us won't last without the game day money coming in.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Mar 2020, 09:43

This could escalate into complete chaos quickly
Leeds could be facing sanctions for refusing to fly to france ive just seen online
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Mar 2020, 09:53

Can only see a total shut down till its past coming up
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 Mar 2020, 09:53

Thing is a staff member from the club as had to self isolate.
So others may have picked up the virus unknown to them yet.
You just can’t willy nilly go flying to another country with this decease so contagious.
Leeds have done the right thing.