Saints up next

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Saints up next

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Mar 2020, 11:47

daytona wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 11:16 Hopefully all the armchair/ keyboard warriors will get down and give the lads our support.
I love how people criticise those who don’t attend every game as “armchair fans” or “keyboard warriors”, rather than think about why they don’t attend. I don’t live locally and work in the week so Thursday/Friday games aren’t possible for me. There will be other people not attending for financial reasons, family reasons and because they have young children to look after.
People also need to consider that some of the blame for lower attendances lies at the club’s door. I know a number of people who won’t attend (including my own wife and children) because the club haven’t invested in adequate facilities.
It’s a massive mistake to simply insult supporters for not attending rather than consider WHY this is the case. I hope the club don’t have the same attitude.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 Mar 2020, 11:52

daytona wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 11:16 Hopefully all the armchair/ keyboard warriors will get down and give the lads our support.
What defines the above?

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 09 Mar 2020, 13:05

Fumper27 wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 11:52
What defines the above?
I think we all know that particularly on the unofficial cas Facebook pages there are large numbers with an awful lot to say but never attend games. I am simply trying to say, if you are going to pick a game this season to go to this one should tick most of the boxes I would have thought?

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 09 Mar 2020, 13:15

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 11:47
I love how people criticise those who don’t attend every game as “armchair fans” or “keyboard warriors”, rather than think about why they don’t attend. I don’t live locally and work in the week so Thursday/Friday games aren’t possible for me. There will be other people not attending for financial reasons, family reasons and because they have young children to look after.
People also need to consider that some of the blame for lower attendances lies at the club’s door. I know a number of people who won’t attend (including my own wife and children) because the club haven’t invested in adequate facilities.
It’s a massive mistake to simply insult supporters for not attending rather than consider WHY this is the case. I hope the club don’t have the same attitude.
I take your point Notts, but I find it hard to accept that someone that is a fan of rugby league and Cas would not attend one of the biggest games in our season on a Sunday, because the toilets aren’t what you are expecting . I imagine that is what you are referring to? I don’t believe it’s an insult to anyone to encourage as many fans as possible to get down this Sunday even if it’s the only game you go to this year.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Mar 2020, 13:32

daytona wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 13:15
nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 11:47
I take your point Notts, but I find it hard to accept that someone that is a fan of rugby league and Cas would not attend one of the biggest games in our season on a Sunday, because the toilets aren’t what you are expecting . I imagine that is what you are referring to?
I think there are two points here:
1. People ARE deciding not to attend due to the facilities (including the toilets). I live with two of them, and know of many others. I think the club find it hard to accept too and like to think facilities have no impact on attendances. Unfortunately, that’s just convenient thinking on their part and gives them the reason not to spend money.
2. The club needs to realise that it is reliant on casual supporters who might attend some games. Not only for ticket income, but for merchandise etc too. As an example, my daughter went to a Man Utd game with school as they did a promotion offering tickets to schools. Did they make much money on her attendance? No. But what did she want for her birthday? A Man Utd shirt. The same happened when her school were given tickets to a Nottingham Panthers ice hockey game. Since she went, we’ve been twice more; she WANTS to go back, not for the game itself, but for the game-day experience.
There has to be a realisation that sport is no longer a product that relies not on a hardcore of loyal supporters who turn up to watch every live game, but is becoming ever more dependent on people who see it as a leisure activity like going to the cinema. Sports clubs aren’t just competing with other sports clubs; they are competing with all other forms of entertainment in the leisure industry. At the moment, our club isn’t attractive to those people who are making the choice of how to spend their leisure time.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on 09 Mar 2020, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 09 Mar 2020, 13:40

Saint's is almost impossible to predict a win for us, it is a rare occurrence over the years.

Depends which teams turn up I guess, we put ourselves in to a position to beat Wire by hanging in the game, if we do the same maybe we get a bit of luck that gets us over the line.

Tough ask, I would make them 10 point favourites. And today I would back them to cover it.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Mar 2020, 13:45

Obviously the toilets arnt ideal it's a old ground but there are 5 different gents toilets that I can think of and 4 ladies is it ...Or go in boot room before you go in ground and hope nature dosnt call 😊
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Mar 2020, 13:57

tigerfeat wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 13:45 Obviously the toilets arnt ideal it's a old ground but there are 5 different gents toilets that I can think of and 4 ladies is it ...Or go in boot room before you go in ground and hope nature dosnt call 😊
I fear we are going to get into the monthly debate about facilities and de-rail the actual thread. I don’t think it’s just about toilets (it’s not the number that’s the problem, it’s the state of them), but just generally the game-day experience. I know there will be those who say that they go to watch the rugby and that’s the product, but that doesn’t cut it in today’s society if we are trying to attract casual supporters to come for the experience of attending an event.
Having attended some local ice-hockey games lately, I think we can learn a lot from the way some other sports run their game-day experience. Most people at the ice-hockey don’t have a clue about the game itself, but that’s not why people go. They go because it’s an enjoyable experience. I don’t know the rules and I don’t care which team wins, but I do enjoy going.
We need to radically rethink the whole mindset that sport is only about the game that is played.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Mar 2020, 14:15

No I don't want to start another infamous toilets thread I was just thinking other week the toilets I use at the railway end are ok can't speak for the ladies ones there ...
On the match day experience fine to me but all that botheres me is watching a top rugby league match which it will be on Sunday also the atmosphere in the ground will be the best for any super league game this week which counts for a lot in my book too
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 Mar 2020, 14:52

I might be old school.
Any entertainment put on by the club doesn’t interest me.
I go to watch the match only.

I leave as soon as the players walk round, I like to applauded a win and sing sweet Caroline.
If it’s a lose I go on the hooter.

It’s all about the rugby on the field for me.
Like I say I’m old school, all this loud music and dancing doesn’t interest me.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Mar 2020, 15:02

old cas lass wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:52 I might be old school.

I leave as soon as the players walk round, I like to applauded a win and sing sweet Caroline.

Cas have actually one of the best build up to games they have a thing online where you can vote for the music you want played up to kick off they have the kids with the flags the cheerleaders the guy that talks on the pitch is very good
At Warrington on Friday there entertainment consisted of a bloke called the flyer chasing a young lass at half time he caught her after about 30 seconds
Maybe people want something like was put on at the Super bowl at half time that was worth watching tbf ...
Vince Lombardi

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 09 Mar 2020, 15:14

johnboy wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 09:27
gateman wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 09:08 This should be our biggest gate so far this season, no TV Sunday afternoon saints fans will travel in more numbers than if it was a midweek match, L cant wait for this one
It certainly should be our biggest crowd of the season. Last year the game was played in March but on a Friday night and it was on Sky. Attracted 8042.

Same time of year, Sunday afternoon, not on Sky (nor is anyone else)and playing the Grand Final winners. Should be over 10,000. There are no excuses!
They will be no were, near 10.000 about 8500 more, realistic figure think we lost about 2000 walk in fans gradually over the last two years with the poor brand off rugby we play I put it down to.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Mar 2020, 15:38

That’s my point, I guess. The rugby won’t disappear, so those who go for the game alone aren’t going to miss out.
But if we’re going to attract new supporters (customers) we need to do more than simply put on a game. We need to put on an enjoyable experience that appeals to people who don’t (yet) have much interest in the game itself. At the moment, we don’t do that.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Mar 2020, 15:41

tigerfeat wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 15:02

Cas have actually one of the best build up to games they have a thing online where you can vote for the music you want played up to kick off they have the kids with the flags the cheerleaders the guy that talks on the pitch is very good
At Warrington on Friday there entertainment consisted of a bloke called the flyer chasing a young lass at half time he caught her after about 30 seconds
Maybe people want something like was put on at the Super bowl at half time that was worth watching tbf ...
Yes, I’m not suggesting we copy other RL clubs. I think we could learn a lot from other sports about how to turn a game into an event.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 09 Mar 2020, 17:46

The stadium is a let down the old girl is showing her age now. We need to find out what is happening with the proposed new ground and then move on from there. We will not attract new fans or players untill the facilities are brought up to date I know people will disagree but that my opinion. People need to be entertained I'm not saying our team are not entertainers there just needs to be something for the fans to enjoy before the game and after. At the end of the day it's a business and we should be focusing on making money and ploughing it back into the club. Well that's my pennies worth.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Mar 2020, 18:03

This

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Mar 2020, 18:25

Piquad1 wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 17:46 The stadium is a let down the old girl is showing her age now. We need to find out what is happening with the proposed new ground and then move on from there. We will not attract new fans or players untill the facilities are brought up to date I know people will disagree but that my opinion. People need to be entertained I'm not saying our team are not entertainers there just needs to be something for the fans to enjoy before the game and after. At the end of the day it's a business and we should be focusing on making money and ploughing it back into the club. Well that's my pennies worth.
What do you mean I want to be entertained before kick off ? Most people get in ground half hour or less before kick-off teams are out on field warming up excitments building up I don't honestly know what people want more...
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 09 Mar 2020, 18:48

Given the latest commentary on Coronavirus, it seems like the government may escalate their plan to the next step up later this week, which may include stopping sporting events and mass gatherings.

Given this is the case, the fans may not actually have a game this week. I wonder what the RFL have in store if this is the case given the revenue the clubs rely on.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Mar 2020, 19:05

The blogger who mentioned toilets and convenient in the same sentence, we're you taking the p**s? As for pre match entertainmen at this time of year 🤔 maybe later in the year 😎 Now let's not start getting on at each other but it's simple. If you support Cas Tigers and you can get down to as many games as possible, great. If you can only get down for certain games due to work or other commitments, so be it. The toilet thing, it's a tough one. If you've gotta go during a game you've gotta go, simple. I have seen better toilets, but I have seen a lot worse. Let's just leave it there shall we and just say that if you can get down't lane on Sunday great 👍 but if you don't want to, are you sure you support Cas. S**t toilets or no toilets won't be stopping me from going 💪 🐯 COYF 🏉

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Mar 2020, 19:19

HuddsTigers wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 18:48 Given the latest commentary on Coronavirus, it seems like the government may escalate their plan to the next step up later this week, which may include stopping sporting events and mass gatherings.

Given this is the case, the fans may not actually have a game this week. I wonder what the RFL have in store if this is the case given the revenue the clubs rely on.
There was a meeting today between heads of rfu premier league Rfl cricket I think as well and they decided there was no need to stop people attending matches at this stage but if there was a sudden worsening situation games would be played behind closed doors with the broadcasters asked if they could provide extra cover not sure how the financials would work in games behind closed doors but id say enjoy these next few matches as much as you can just in case people are stopped from going in the not too distant future
Vince Lombardi