Predictable and average...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Predictable and average...

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Mar 2020, 22:49

I hope no-one is going to get out the "Unlucky" card out after that...

We will never win anything while we:

- Have a full back who is good but isn't good enough
- Refuse to build pressure and take the worldy pass option when it's not on
- Tolerate poor kicking close to the line (again)
- Invite pressure on ourselves with stupid errors and penalties
- Have no punch in the centres (Jake Webster of 4 years ago now looking world class)
- Lack pace

A wasted opportunity tonight.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Predictable and average...

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Mar 2020, 23:01

SuffolkTiger wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 22:49 I hope no-one is going to get out the "Unlucky" card out after that...

- Have no punch in the centres (Jake Webster of 4 years ago now looking world class)
- Lack pace

I’ll disagree with your first point. Jordan Rankin is not a good full back. Almost every time he gets the ball, he kills our attack. He’ll either step inside with the ball (I don’t think he’s broken the line once) or throw a poor pass and hope it hits a player on the outside.
He’s not good defensively either.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Mar 2020, 23:11

He certainly weren’t good to night Notts.
One of his worse games for the club.
When we tried moving the ball out wide it was so slow, by the time it got to the Center the cover was over and it died a death.
We just look so predictable and woeful.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 06 Mar 2020, 23:20

We most certainly was. Agree totally about Rankin I would let him go and buy a real full back. Said in another post half backs not effective in kicking near line

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Mar 2020, 23:29

old cas lass wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 23:11 He certainly weren’t good to night Notts.
One of his worse games for the club.
When we tried moving the ball out wide it was so slow, by the time it got to the Center the cover was over and it died a death.
We just look so predictable and woeful.
Honestly, I think that most games.
He’s alright against the lower-league teams when we beat them comfortably.
Put him up against a decent defence and he’s just not good enough. We either need someone with the pace and step to exploit a gap in the defensive line (eg Luke Dorn) or someone with the timing to draw a defender and pass the ball to create a gap (eg Hardaker). Rankin can’t do either of those things, so he either ‘steps’ inside and breaks down the attack, or throws a pass that is easy to defend (or hits the floor/goes over the touchline).
In the modern game, the full-back is the most potent attacking weapon in the team. Even in a shoet space of time, the game has moved on and we see Bevan French playing at full-back over Zak Hardaker because of the attacking threat he poses, regardless of how much bette Zak might be in defence.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Mar 2020, 00:44

Agree on Rankin he's a decent enough player but not what we should be looking at for next season
You can't have your full -back in these big games chiming into line and throwing ball into speccies
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 07 Mar 2020, 01:01

Some of the passes were shonky to row 2 in the stands, but I think there was more in play than one full-back.

It wasn't a great game, I watched with no sound (commentary and summarises I can't abide) and got a bit bored to be honest. Defence heavy and conservative, not a lot of quality or expansive play on show.

Lost by a point to silverware and final perennials - could have gone either way.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 07 Mar 2020, 01:21

SuffolkTiger wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 22:49 I hope no-one is going to get out the "Unlucky" card out after that...

- Lack pace

Jake was a world class centre, often underappreciated. We're still going OK - look at the money Wire have paid to where they are.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Mar 2020, 01:27

mdean wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 01:01 Some of the passes were shonky to row 2 in the stands, but I think there was more in play than one full-back.

It wasn't a great game, I watched with no sound (commentary and summarises I can't abide) and got a bit bored to be honest. Defence heavy and conservative, not a lot of quality or expansive play on show.

Lost by a point to silverware and final perennials - could have gone either way.
Surprised you got bored at the ground I thought it was a edge of seat job tho not best standard of attack from either side
And I'm not making Rankin a scapegoat he wasn't reason we lost but we could do better than him for next season IMO
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 07 Mar 2020, 01:34

Lack of composure & leadership was the reason we lost, to have 3 attempts from inside there 20 and not get one on target is unforgivable. Richardson didn't need to have a swing with his left, take the ball in, let Truey have a go from 15 yards. Lack of experience & lack of leadership undid all the hard work we did in defence.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 07 Mar 2020, 03:08

Jonny1975 wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 01:34 Lack of composure & leadership was the reason we lost, to have 3 attempts from inside there 20 and not get one on target is unforgivable. Richardson didn't need to have a swing with his left, take the ball in, let Truey have a go from 15 yards. Lack of experience & lack of leadership undid all the hard work we did in defence.
I thought Macca showed plenty of leadership.
The run he made to set up Richardson’s second drop goal attempt was on it’s own goof enough to have won us the match

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 07 Mar 2020, 08:58

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 03:08
Jonny1975 wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 01:34 Lack of composure & leadership was the reason we lost, to have 3 attempts from inside there 20 and not get one on target is unforgivable. Richardson didn't need to have a swing with his left, take the ball in, let Truey have a go from 15 yards. Lack of experience & lack of leadership undid all the hard work we did in defence.
I thought Macca showed plenty of leadership.
The run he made to set up Richardson’s second drop goal attempt was on it’s own goof enough to have won us the match
I meant with the half backs

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 07 Mar 2020, 09:02

That game was there for the taking last night. We had 80 minutes to get one over a team who are supposedly title contenders and on their own patch. The halfbacks are not hitting it off and creating enough yet and only time will tell if they will. When DR had to take a swing with his left boot Truey should have been there as another option to pass to, as the wire defence just had to get to DR. I thought young Turner on the wing had a good safe game, caught every high ball. Shouldn't the wire player who took Turner's head off in the process of scoring been sent off for at least 10 minutes for a professional foul? On another note, it was great to see Fozzy out warming up with the boys before the game.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 07 Mar 2020, 09:48

Unfortunately we got an insight of how our attack looks when we have no momentum following McShane's breaks. If my memory serves me right he only really had one before the Richardson drop goal attempt.

Rankin isn't bad supporting half breaks through the middle but his link up play out wide isn't great and passing needs improving,which given he's played half back plenty of times before is a tad concerning.

The back line looks to lack abit of pace,maybe the heavier grounds at the moment is the cause though.

The defence was very good last night, and cannot fault the effort there!

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 07 Mar 2020, 09:54

overall warrington imo deserved the win.however we should have won as we were in very good positions for drop goals.we just seemed to panic when executing.the Richardson one as said previously and truemans effort we would have been better off playing for position in stead of giving 7 set tackles.i'm still happier watching this year than last and we at least look a solid unit.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 07 Mar 2020, 10:01

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 01:27
mdean wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 01:01 Some of the passes were shonky to row 2 in the stands, but I think there was more in play than one full-back.

Surprised you got bored at the ground I thought it was a edge of seat job tho not best standard of attack from either side
And I'm not making Rankin a scapegoat he wasn't reason we lost but we could do better than him for next season IMO
On reflection, the first half mostly, second half could have gone either way I agree - but either way on nervy effort. If either team could have put their foot on the ball and settled, they could have won it.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 09 Mar 2020, 14:59

Whilst I would never say rankin is a world beater, he has made one or two decent breaks so far this season and I'm sure he's assisted in some tries. No doubt the stats will prove either way?

Having said that, he was guilty of at least two poor final passes the wingers of which one was a walk over for Olpherts.

Overall we played a very steady game, pressumably in an attempt to maintain percentages (?), but composure was lacking. The various attempts at the one-pointer should have been set up much further back from the play-the-ball, giving ample time to take an accurate shot.

On the positive side, grweat to see JSL back out there and he is far more effective out wide.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Mar 2020, 17:19

Flat Capper wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:59 Whilst I would never say rankin is a world beater, he has made one or two decent breaks so far this season and I'm sure he's assisted in some tries. No doubt the stats will prove either way?

Having said that, he was guilty of at least two poor final passes the wingers of which one was a walk over for Olpherts.

Overall we played a very steady game, pressumably in an attempt to maintain percentages (?), but composure was lacking. The various attempts at the one-pointer should have been set up much further back from the play-the-ball, giving ample time to take an accurate shot.

On the positive side, grweat to see JSL back out there and he is far more effective out wide.
I’m not sure that Rankin can be blamed for the passes to the wingers that bombed two very good opportunities.
IMO if the wingers had stayed wide near the touch line, both could easily have been try’s.
I reckon Eden and possibly Clare would have scored because both are more used you our plays and tend to hug the touch line more than Olpherts and Turner.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Mar 2020, 17:41

orrsome wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 17:19
Flat Capper wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:59 Whilst I would never say rankin is a world beater, he has made one or two decent breaks so far this season and I'm sure he's assisted in some tries. No doubt the stats will prove either way?

I’m not sure that Rankin can be blamed for the passes to the wingers that bombed two very good opportunities.
IMO if the wingers had stayed wide near the touch line, both could easily have been try’s.
I reckon Eden and possibly Clare would have scored because both are more used you our plays and tend to hug the touch line more than Olpherts and Turner.
I actually have less issue with the passes into touch(though they are infuriating) than with his half-step inside straight into a defender every time we are on the attack. He seems to think he’s stepping like Benji Marshall, but he’s barely changing direction and it’s so easy to defend against that it just breaks down our attack. He might as well run straight, get up and play the ball quickly.
Rankin puts in the effort, but I still don’t think he has what it takes to make a top full-back.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 09 Mar 2020, 18:53

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 17:41
orrsome wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 17:19

I actually have less issue with the passes into touch(though they are infuriating) than with his half-step inside straight into a defender every time we are on the attack. He seems to think he’s stepping like Benji Marshall, but he’s barely changing direction and it’s so easy to defend against that it just breaks down our attack. He might as well run straight, get up and play the ball quickly.
Rankin puts in the effort, but I still don’t think he has what it takes to make a top full-back.
Me neither