Predictable and average...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigertail

Re: Predictable and average...

Post by Tigertail » 09 Mar 2020, 20:50

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 17:41
orrsome wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 17:19
Flat Capper wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:59 Whilst I would never say rankin is a world beater, he has made one or two decent breaks so far this season and I'm sure he's assisted in some tries. No doubt the stats will prove either way?

Having said that, he was guilty of at least two poor final passes the wingers of which one was a walk over for Olpherts.

Overall we played a very steady game, pressumably in an attempt to maintain percentages (?), but composure was lacking. The various attempts at the one-pointer should have been set up much further back from the play-the-ball, giving ample time to take an accurate shot.

On the positive side, grweat to see JSL back out there and he is far more effective out wide.
I’m not sure that Rankin can be blamed for the passes to the wingers that bombed two very good opportunities.
IMO if the wingers had stayed wide near the touch line, both could easily have been try’s.
I reckon Eden and possibly Clare would have scored because both are more used you our plays and tend to hug the touch line more than Olpherts and Turner.
I actually have less issue with the passes into touch(though they are infuriating) than with his half-step inside straight into a defender every time we are on the attack. He seems to think he’s stepping like Benji Marshall, but he’s barely changing direction and it’s so easy to defend against that it just breaks down our attack. He might as well run straight, get up and play the ball quickly.
Rankin puts in the effort, but I still don’t think he has what it takes to make a top full-back.
From what I've been reading and hearing I wonder when DP will be brave enough in playing the young 17 year old full back coming through. Not uncommon nowadays to give a young one a try and see how he goes. DP did it with Truey and look how well that's gone? Played him against Widnes first team and got a glowing review from DP pre season.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Mar 2020, 21:59

i thought the match was good watching to loss by one point was no disgrace we had three kicks at goal if only one had gone over the points would have been ours, 9 out of 10 times Richardson would have nailed one of them,

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 10 Mar 2020, 10:41

Some fans must watch different game to me, Macca had one of his quietest games for a long time, he was fine in defence but made no real options in attack like he has been doing all season.The pack was on the back foot all game against the Wolves. You should all take out the subscription for Cas TV, then you can scrutinise the game with clear eyes.

The difference in the game was one of their half a million pound men managed to land a drop goal on their third attempt, and our youngsters missed

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 10 Mar 2020, 11:39

Tigertail wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 20:50
Flat Capper wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:59 Whilst I would never say rankin is a world beater, he has made one or two decent breaks so far this season and I'm sure he's assisted in some tries. No doubt the stats will prove either way?

Having said that, he was guilty of at least two poor final passes the wingers of which one was a walk over for Olpherts.

Overall we played a very steady game, pressumably in an attempt to maintain percentages (?), but composure was lacking. The various attempts at the one-pointer should have been set up much further back from the play-the-ball, giving ample time to take an accurate shot.

On the positive side, grweat to see JSL back out there and he is far more effective out wide.
I’m not sure that Rankin can be blamed for the passes to the wingers that bombed two very good opportunities.
IMO if the wingers had stayed wide near the touch line, both could easily have been try’s.
I reckon Eden and possibly Clare would have scored because both are more used you our plays and tend to hug the touch line more than Olpherts and Turner.
I actually have less issue with the passes into touch(though they are infuriating) than with his half-step inside straight into a defender every time we are on the attack. He seems to think he’s stepping like Benji Marshall, but he’s barely changing direction and it’s so easy to defend against that it just breaks down our attack. He might as well run straight, get up and play the ball quickly.
Rankin puts in the effort, but I still don’t think he has what it takes to make a top full-back.
From what I've been reading and hearing I wonder when DP will be brave enough in playing the young 17 year old full back coming through. Not uncommon nowadays to give a young one a try and see how he goes. DP did it with Truey and look how well that's gone? Played him against Widnes first team and got a glowing review from DP pre season.
Zero chance of him playing him

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 10 Mar 2020, 11:40

Frankas wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 10:41 Some fans must watch different game to me, Macca had one of his quietest games for a long time, he was fine in defence but made no real options in attack like he has been doing all season.The pack was on the back foot all game against the Wolves. You should all take out the subscription for Cas TV, then you can scrutinise the game with clear eyes.

The difference in the game was one of their half a million pound men managed to land a drop goal on their third attempt, and our youngsters missed
Yes it was simple as

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 10 Mar 2020, 18:40

classycas57 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 11:39
Tigertail wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 20:50

Zero chance of him playing him
Why? Strength of V Big men on the line ?
Audacter Et Sincere

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Mar 2020, 20:44

a number of our fans have got the knives out for Rankin, since silly ZAC left he as been the best option in the ones we have tried at fullback we did a deal for him that suited all partys

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 11 Mar 2020, 13:16

gateman wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 20:44 a number of our fans have got the knives out for Rankin, since silly ZAC left he as been the best option in the ones we have tried at fullback we did a deal for him that suited all partys
I would hopethe knives aren't out just yet as he hasn't done a great deal wrong. Someone said he does noth ing bringing the ball out but I'm certin I've seen one or two line breaks.

He had also started to fit into the attacking line quite well and it was only his final passes on two occasions last week that went astray. Yes, the winger should be better positioned but, IMO, the man giving the final pass may as well hold onto to it if he's not looking for where his winger is.

I'm sure the connectivity will improve as the season rolls on...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 11 Mar 2020, 18:27

There are few players in the team that have not come in for criticism perhaps Watts being an exception.
Some of the criticism is justified, some a matter of opinion some to me inexplicable.
Who ever pulls on the shirt gets my support although l may exempt Ryan Bailey from that.
Early days but we are going ok.
We without doubt missed an opportunity against Wire.
Les Cats are as we know a tough proposition at home.
We are meeting Saints still stinging from defeat.
The first at home for more than a season
So it's another big ask.
Hopefully our pack will not suffer the disruption of last week.
Hopefully Watts will be back as well as Foster with a point to prove.
Oh for a pulsating one point victory over them.
However I'll settle for a victory of any magnitude.
Not doing too bad so far for a Predictable and Average Team.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Mar 2020, 20:40

casjunction wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 18:27 There are few players in the team that have not come in for criticism perhaps Watts being an exception.
Some of the criticism is justified, some a matter of opinion some to me inexplicable.
Who ever pulls on the shirt gets my support although l may exempt Ryan Bailey from that.
Early days but we are going ok.
We without doubt missed an opportunity against Wire.
Les Cats are as we know a tough proposition at home.
We are meeting Saints still stinging from defeat.
The first at home for more than a season
So it's another big ask.
Hopefully our pack will not suffer the disruption of last week.
Hopefully Watts will be back as well as Foster with a point to prove.
Oh for a pulsating one point victory over them.
However I'll settle for a victory of any magnitude.
Not doing too bad so far for a Predictable and Average Team.
well said mate