Warrington can we do it

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: Warrington can we do it

Post by the machine » 07 Mar 2020, 13:46

on side wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 13:30
the machine wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 10:23
tigerfeat wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 09:49 Truemans been quite last couple of games I agree Gateman not involved as much
Because Richardson and macca have had a lot more share of the ball
Probably because there more motivated in big games. Sure some on here will blame it on is age but hes old enough now if good enough lucky for him we signed no back up to compete for his position. Maybe when he reaches 30 years old he will develop into a better attacking player. Or when we play poorer team again he will look outstanding and we all think every things OK.
Age and experience mean naff all if you are starved of the ball
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Mar 2020, 13:49

Looking this morning how we set up for the drop goal attempts headless chickens comes to mind you've got split seconds to do it but surely we can do better than that
Leeds away last season HKR away last season similar sort of thing
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 07 Mar 2020, 14:12

Jazzman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 12:08 We were away from home at last years cup winners and who have probably the most experienced and expensive half back pair in Super League and we came away losing by one point. Wire had clearly done their homework and knew they had to nullify the threat from our spine and did exactly that.

Disappointed to lose - yes. Did we play badly - no. Were we disgraced - no.

The doom mongers need to a long hard look at themselves.
This

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 07 Mar 2020, 14:13

heritage1926 wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 12:37 Game management last night from minute 1 to 80 was amateur. Firstly the option to go for 2 when we had our first venture in to their 20 after being under pressure for 10 minutes was all wrong, an early try IMO puts them under all sorts of pressure. They must of been happy to see us kick for 2.

I think we had 3 penalties with in kicking range, i would of liked us to take all 3 and keep the scoreboard ticking over but we only took the 1, DP usually likes to keep playing but in hindsight may of had another 4pts on the board.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

dj nelly
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Neil230467

Post by dj nelly » 07 Mar 2020, 14:15

jackknife wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:13
heritage1926 wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 12:37 Game management last night from minute 1 to 80 was amateur. Firstly the option to go for 2 when we had our first venture in to their 20 after being under pressure for 10 minutes was all wrong, an early try IMO puts them under all sorts of pressure. They must of been happy to see us kick for 2.

I think we had 3 penalties with in kicking range, i would of liked us to take all 3 and keep the scoreboard ticking over but we only took the 1, DP usually likes to keep playing but in hindsight may of had another 4pts on the board.
Agreed

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 07 Mar 2020, 14:15

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 13:49 Looking this morning how we set up for the drop goal attempts headless chickens comes to mind you've got split seconds to do it but surely we can do better than that
To be fair, the attempts should have been set up at least 2 plays before. So if we decide to go on tackle 4 we should be sorting it on tackle 2.
No one took charge hence the kicks being hurried.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 07 Mar 2020, 14:15

jackknife wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:13

In fairness the one we did take came immediately after one we didn’t, so it wouldn’t have been another 4 points as the second one wouldn’t have happened.
Your point still stands though.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 07 Mar 2020, 14:29

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 09:49 Truemans been quite last couple of games I agree Gateman not involved as much
Probably because there more motivated in big games. Sure some on here will blame it on is age but hes old enough now if good enough lucky for him we signed no back up to compete for his position. Maybe when he reaches 30 years old he will develop into a better attacking player. Or when we play poorer team again he will look outstanding and we all think every things OK.
Trueman was the best player on the pitch yesterday, drop your agenda.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 07 Mar 2020, 14:46

Same Old Song
Different Singer!
Disappointed that we didn't come away the points.
Creativity does seem to be an issue.
As does confidence.
Some good defence
Seemed to lack the grunt when we needed it.
My main concern is tge yardage we concede against the yards we make.
We seem slow in both play the ball and restricting the opposition.
A loss by a point was disappointing when with
a little more conviction and being a bit more clinical we could have come away with a win.
It's a Cas thing

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 07 Mar 2020, 14:50

TheSheriff wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:29
Plus his defence was outstanding once again

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 07 Mar 2020, 16:04

old cas lass wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:15
tigerfeat wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 13:49 Looking this morning how we set up for the drop goal attempts headless chickens comes to mind you've got split seconds to do it but surely we can do better than that
To be fair, the attempts should have been set up at least 2 plays before. So if we decide to go on tackle 4 we should be sorting it on tackle 2.
No one took charge hence the kicks being hurried.
Agree. Really shoddy. No leadership in that sense. Frustrating as they were there to beaten at that stage and we had really stuck with them. But we look like we have no idea how to unlock a decent side.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 07 Mar 2020, 16:11

baldtiger wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:50
His defence is outstanding almost always. But to suggest he was the best player on the pitch is hard to justify. There were very few stand out performances from either side to be fair. I thought McMeeken and Mcshane were our most effective players. Matautia looked good at points. I think Trueman has flashes of brilliance: like his pass for Clare's try last week, which, given the timing and precision wih so little time to react was incredible. However, he doesn't do enough as a runner for my liking. I assume that is the game plan. He ships it on quickly most of the time. Opposition defences are not really put under pressure by either half really. Richardson's pace offers a little more threat.
I hope his role will change with his physical growth as he appears to have great IQ and some ball skills. But at present in games like last night versus good defensive sides with quality, I can't help but feel we are lacking spark in the middle from the creative players.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 07 Mar 2020, 17:30

Agree with the above. It's in games like last night where are crying out for a centre that can can run straight lines and punch holes against tight defences.

We try to be too fancy at times.

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 07 Mar 2020, 18:53

SuffolkTiger wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:30 Agree with the above. It's in games like last night where are crying out for a centre that can can run straight lines and punch holes against tight defences.

We try to be too fancy at times.
Think cas 2017 team would have put big score on that poor wire team last night. So I ask are we progressing as a team since 2017 or have we come to a bit off a stand still. We are definitely still putting out a compective team but is the squad got the extra class to push on for major finals only time will tell

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 07 Mar 2020, 19:46

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 16:11
baldtiger wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:50

His defence is outstanding almost always. But to suggest he was the best player on the pitch is hard to justify. There were very few stand out performances from either side to be fair. I thought McMeeken and Mcshane were our most effective players. Matautia looked good at points. I think Trueman has flashes of brilliance: like his pass for Clare's try last week, which, given the timing and precision wih so little time to react was incredible. However, he doesn't do enough as a runner for my liking. I assume that is the game plan. He ships it on quickly most of the time. Opposition defences are not really put under pressure by either half really. Richardson's pace offers a little more threat.
I hope his role will change with his physical growth as he appears to have great IQ and some ball skills. But at present in games like last night versus good defensive sides with quality, I can't help but feel we are lacking spark in the middle from the creative players.
Meeks did nothing again. We should sell him now whilst we can.

Foster, Holmes, JSL and Blair can play there.

Could all depend on what JSL does after this year.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 07 Mar 2020, 20:21

There’s a lot of talk about it being a ‘poor Wire team’
Didn’t Wane pick 11 of them for the two England squads this week and that doesn’t include their two international half backs?
Just think we need to get a bit of perspective sometimes.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 07 Mar 2020, 22:44

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 20:21 There’s a lot of talk about it being a ‘poor Wire team’
Didn’t Wane pick 11 of them for the two England squads this week and that doesn’t include their two international half backs?
and they nilled saints recently
jo brand is eddie warings love child

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 07 Mar 2020, 23:52

lurcher wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 22:44
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 20:21 There’s a lot of talk about it being a ‘poor Wire team’
And got nilled by leeds,lost to wakey and struggled to beat Toronto

Perspective
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Mar 2020, 00:51

the machine wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 23:52
lurcher wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 22:44
And got nilled by leeds,lost to wakey and struggled to beat Toronto

Perspective
The perspective is that the new England Manager picked two squads based on current form and eleven of that ‘poor’ Wire side were in it, more than twice as many as we had.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 08 Mar 2020, 10:40

The beauty of the forum is the diversity of opinions.
The way some people justify their opinion.
Meeks and Macca most effect players
Someone else advocating we sell him as he is doing nothing.
Others using one set of evidence to show Wire to be a good team other different evidence to suggest otherwise.
We could all use similar arguments about other teams, players, results and so on.
Thus far what seems to be more obvious is the teams who we would say have recruited better have bwtter squads have also been inconsistent.
Although Emerald Stadium team after a terrible opening day game seem to be emerging from seasons of mediocrity.
Hopefully thats a blip as well.
My opinion is that at Cas we do seem to lack some X Factor players but the sum of the parts is greater than individual components.
But.