Tony Smith

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Re: Tony Smith

Post by mdean » 28 Feb 2020, 16:23

Coach TV interviews, in fact any professional sport TV interviews are largely pointless aren't they?

Some are more galant and gracious than others, but in reality you could more or less write tonight's or any night right now:
Winners - it's always tough coming here and I thought they had a really big dig at us for the first half. They're a good side and we knew we would have to be at our best.
We are pleased though, I thought our control and decisions were good and we got it done in the end.

Losers - Disappointed, we just didn't execute our plays, gave up too much ball and against a team like this, you will get punished... blah blah blah.

I have always found Tony Smith a bit odd with his strange smile, smiling at exactly what I can never tell, but it matters not for what it is, they were poor and we were a bit less poor on the night, far from polished. We know we can be 75% better I would say, worry for them is how much better can they be and how quickly. Reminded me of one of those League 1 clubs who draw a Prem team in the FA Cup at their place - compete to half time and feel they're in it and lose 3-0 to a Prem team in 3rd gear.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Feb 2020, 16:36

I thought they played well game was 8 -6 when they had a man put in bin that ended them really
Smith is a good coach can't see them finishing bottom
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 28 Feb 2020, 16:42

mdean wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 16:23 Coach TV interviews, in fact any professional sport TV interviews are largely pointless aren't they?

Some are more galant and gracious than others, but in reality you could more or less write tonight's or any night right now:
Winners - it's always tough coming here and I thought they had a really big dig at us for the first half. They're a good side and we knew we would have to be at our best.
We are pleased though, I thought our control and decisions were good and we got it done in the end.

Losers - Disappointed, we just didn't execute our plays, gave up too much ball and against a team like this, you will get punished... blah blah blah.

I have always found Tony Smith a bit odd with his strange smile, smiling at exactly what I can never tell, but it matters not for what it is, they were poor and we were a bit less poor on the night, far from polished. We know we can be 75% better I would say, worry for them is how much better can they be and how quickly. Reminded me of one of those League 1 clubs who draw a Prem team in the FA Cup at their place - compete to half time and feel they're in it and lose 3-0 to a Prem team in 3rd gear.
I think T.Smith has got gas :P

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Feb 2020, 19:03

I think Tony Smith is OK.
I can remember Cas stuffing Wire a few years back and he came out and shook the hand of every Cas player and praised our performance post match
He only commented on the Brierley obstruction was because the interviewer specifically asked him about it. He gave his opinion but also said that he might not be up to date after his period out of the game
Seemed pretty fair to me.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 28 Feb 2020, 19:57

Mysterio wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 14:00 I like tony smith and I think Phil Clarke is often fair about us.
I cannot comment yet about last night,

In all fairness though, there’s only wells and carney worth their salt.

Barrie and Terry are STEALING a living, especially Barrie.
I would get rid of them all and start again. They do nothing to enhance or promote the product.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 29 Feb 2020, 10:23

tallguyx wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 19:57
Mysterio wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 14:00 I like tony smith and I think Phil Clarke is often fair about us.

I would get rid of them all and start again. They do nothing to enhance or promote the product.
I had to listen to Eddie Waring in my youth. If you think Barrie is bad.....
In Waring’s day, they didn’t have an hour to fill before and after, so they just commentated without endless analysis. Analysts are open to debate and opinion.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 29 Feb 2020, 12:12

old cas lass wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 10:15 Reguarding tony smith.
Glad you can make out what he actually says.
He talks likes he’s got a mouth full of bumble bees.
He reminds me of an old cartoon I use to watch when I was a youngster, Deputy dog, He even has a look of him, I never thought I would say this but Eddie and Stevo, for all their woas made these commentators look like a bunch of wallies .

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 29 Feb 2020, 16:01

cogito ergo sum wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 10:23

In Waring’s day, they didn’t have an hour to fill before and after, so they just commentated without endless analysis. Analysts are open to debate and opinion.
went in a london pub in the sixties after watching the cc final (hkr v widnes) and because of eddies commentaries they thought rugby league was stage managed like the saturday afternoon wrestling.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

p.s.
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by p.s. » 29 Feb 2020, 21:47

I've always had a soft spot for Tony Smith because I remember the days when we were near the bottom of the table most of the time and thee were certain people on Sky suggesting we didn't contribute anything to Super League including one with Warrington connections whose name has already been mentioned on this thread. I remember Tony Smith often offering words of encouragement to Cas, it's when you are down in the dumps when you learn who your friends are.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 29 Feb 2020, 21:49

lurcher wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 16:01
cogito ergo sum wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 10:23

went in a london pub in the sixties after watching the cc final (hkr v widnes) and because of eddies commentaries they thought rugby league was stage managed like the saturday afternoon wrestling.
Spot on. Ray French didn't improve things much. Both of them, and whoever put the microphones in their hands, did the public perception of the sport genuine damage.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 Mar 2020, 08:25

Who remembers Eddie and Stuart Hall in its a knockout wish we had that on today ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi