Mike McMeekan

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Mike McMeekan

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Jan 2020, 14:13

I agree with him he should be in the England set-up as let himself down a bit if he comes back this year improved he can go to union or other rugby league clubs here or in the NRL
Ive no problems with players moving on if they go about it the right way
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 09 Jan 2020, 14:22

Reckon he will be at Leeds this time next year.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 09 Jan 2020, 14:40

So if Mcmeekan leaves and with suggestions of Millington and Moors retiring, Jesse going home.... It looks like we're gonna have some big boots to fill. I hope Powell and Wells have some decent replacements lined up.
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Jan 2020, 14:43

Thing is mate they will be well aware who might not be here in 2021 so theres plenty of time to get the right personal in place well before the end of the 2020 season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 09 Jan 2020, 14:50

tigerfeat wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 14:43 Thing is mate they will be well aware who might not be here in 2021 so theres plenty of time to get the right personal in place well before the end of the 2020 season
Hope you are right.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 09 Jan 2020, 15:13

Would love to know if he's going. Be better to try and sell him rather than lett him leave for free. Would happily take cash now.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Jan 2020, 17:29

Like all players he will be exploring all his options as his contract comes to ifs end, we in our employment would have done the same , if he is putting himself in the shop window to enhance his earning power its up to him to Mike to up his game

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 09 Jan 2020, 17:57

Earnings in kick and clap are better than in league especially if he were to break into the international set up.
The opportunities are usually greater sfter the playing career ends.
If he wants to catch the eye of his next employer lets hope he puts himself in the shop window with some outstanding displays whuich we know he's capable of but were few and far between last season.
If so good luck to the lad.
Players come and go.
We are the constants in the equation.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Jan 2020, 18:12

Can’t think offhand of forwards who have made it big in RU, the skills are very different. Sam Burgess failed (actually, he was shafted!). Andy Farrell played mainly in the backs, the ones who made it were backs. Not sure what Sonny Bill played first, but he’s a freak!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 09 Jan 2020, 19:17

cogito ergo sum wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 18:12 Can’t think offhand of forwards who have made it big in RU, the skills are very different. Sam Burgess failed (actually, he was shafted!). Andy Farrell played mainly in the backs, the ones who made it were backs. Not sure what Sonny Bill played first, but he’s a freak!
Brad Thorn was one of the great All Black forwards

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Jan 2020, 19:41

The problem for McMeeken is that he signed his current contract when he was the best back-rower in the country towards the end of 2017.
He’s been nowhere near that level in 2018 or 2019, so unless he improves dramatically in early 2020 he might find himself looking at lower offers than than the contract he currently has.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Like folk are saying, if he wants to go in shop window, let's hope he has a stormer of a season to prove his worth.
🐯 COYF!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 09 Jan 2020, 20:46

alftupper wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 19:17
cogito ergo sum wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 18:12 Can’t think offhand of forwards who have made it big in RU, the skills are very different. Sam Burgess failed (actually, he was shafted!). Andy Farrell played mainly in the backs, the ones who made it were backs. Not sure what Sonny Bill played first, but he’s a freak!
Brad Thorn was one of the great All Black forwards
Scott quinnel (I know he was ra ra first.)

Ben T’eo hasn’t done badly either

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Jan 2020, 20:51

McMeekan could play in backs for union
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Jan 2020, 20:58

McMeekan could play in backs for union
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 10 Jan 2020, 09:23

In his defence, he's played Union before, and it's likely the game he was brought up with. I suppose it depends on what you would consider to be "successful" - local club, or a competitive club would be his (current) level, I think. If you're talking with respect to international grade, then that's a different story - I agree, and he needs to get right on top of his game if this is where he's setting his sights.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Jan 2020, 10:24

Burratha wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 09:23
In his defence, he's played Union before, and it's likely the game he was brought up with. I suppose it depends on what you would consider to be "successful" - local club, or a competitive club would be his (current) level, I think. If you're talking with respect to international grade, then that's a different story - I agree, and he needs to get right on top of his game if this is where he's setting his sights.
I would suggest his sights may be more on the salary, if he could make the top tier. Not Sarries though....

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 10 Jan 2020, 12:47

Blatant come and get me thinly veiled with over hyped talk of cas, nicely garnished with the mention of silverware

Go now and let’s cash in would be my view.

Discuss first, do you want to stay etc, if messing about, transfer list.
Audacter Et Sincere

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 10 Jan 2020, 14:24

A little like football, when you allow players to get in to their last shift, it invites this. As a couple have said this message in a translation tool is: "I am here now, but for money I would go anywhere, including stay"
Which then invites when you want to lock them down as a club, they're still awaiting input from other parties, it drags on.... etc.... and heads turn.

I was rather hoping without the threat of the drop etc, we would have our planning not letting people get in to this situation.
Unless of course he is already surplus and Daryl has decided he peaked in 2017 and that we can do better. We always (One/I, not an accusation) assume that the club have not engaged etc, perhaps that is deliberate. Which may be a huge motivator for the player, but equally if he starts next season like a world beater then he is going to attract attention. Swings and roundabouts.