Johnny Ward

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Johnny Ward

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 02 Jan 2020, 18:42

lurcher wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 14:52
cogito ergo sum wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 10:49
Ken Smith wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 09:30 I seem to remember he was the landlord of a pub somewhere in the Cas area. I also think that he played for Salford against Cas in the 1969 Challenge Cup Final, but more famously remembered for his displays for Cas in the Floodlight Trophy wins. Also a member of the touring GB side to Australia. Tough as nails and a great hooker when scrums were contested before moving to prop to make way for Clive Dickenson. Condolences to his family. RIP Wardy.
He had a pub in Darrington near Pontefract.

Johnny was ball handler...in today’s parlance he was an “off loader” of great guile and skill. RIP Johnny, you leave fond memories!
don't know about that but i'm sure he had the golden lion at ferrybridge.
Yeah best pint of tetleys cask for miles

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 02 Jan 2020, 20:46

Sad news - Johnny Ward was a great, great player & great character! RIP Johnny
Danny Boy

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 03 Jan 2020, 07:03

Ken Smith wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 09:30 I seem to remember he was the landlord of a pub somewhere in the Cas area. I also think that he played for Salford against Cas in the 1969 Challenge Cup Final, but more famously remembered for his displays for Cas in the Floodlight Trophy wins. Also a member of the touring GB side to Australia. Tough as nails and a great hooker when scrums were contested before moving to prop to make way for Clive Dickenson. Condolences to his family. RIP Wardy.

Johnny was ball handler...in today’s parlance he was an “off loader” of great guile and skill. RIP Johnny, you leave fond memories!

Johnny had the Chestnut before moving to the Lion and it served great food. R.I.P. Johnny and thanks for the memories.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 03 Jan 2020, 13:48

sparky49 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 07:03

Johnny had the Chestnut before moving to the Lion and it served great food. R.I.P. Johnny and thanks for the memories.
yes it was the food we used to go for but the tetleys was a welcome bonus.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 04 Jan 2020, 09:12

I stand corrected. Johnny Ward did indeed play for Cas in the 1969 Challenge Cup Final. We signed Bill Kirkbride to replace him with Mick Redfearn moving up to front row I seem to remember.