Squad Numbers

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Squad Numbers

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Jan 2020, 00:28

old cas lass wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 00:15
nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 23:43
Stokesey wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 23:40 Strong squad. I look nearly all the way down, and we have some strength in depth. Matautia in front of Blair a surprise
Mata’utia is our most natural right centre. It’s where he played the vast majority of his games in the NRL.
Think it will be between Shenton and Blair for the left centre spot, but they were never going to take Shenton’s squad number from him given his testimonial logo is based on it!
Who do we think will partner who.

Feki shenton
Shenton matautia
Matautia feki
Shenton olpherts
Matautia olpherts
Nice conundrum.
Before the squad numbers I would have said;
RW - Feki
RC - Shenton
LC - Blair
LW - Eden.

Now, I’m thinking:
RW - Olpherts
RC - Mata’utia
LC - Shenton/Blair
LW - Feki.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 18 Jan 2020, 00:40

Shenton will start every week if fit.
Blair and Peanut for other centre spot.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Jan 2020, 00:51

For me, the obvious line up is

Rankin
Olpherts
Blair
Shenton
Feki

It would have been Eden but I guess he's now seen as a back-up left winger and has to prove himself again. Clare the back-up right wing. Mata'utia back up right centre (despite squad number).
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

usacas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by usacas » 18 Jan 2020, 01:39

What was Moors number last season? Has he dropped down the pecking order?

Tigerwood posse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: no

Post by Tigerwood posse » 18 Jan 2020, 01:45

Really can’t get excited about that back line, forget what I said about Olpherts being blind in one eye (which he is) but he isn’t fit to lace Greg Eden’s boots in terms of scoring try’s, how many did he score for Salford in the last 2 seasons ?? Without looking, I bet it ain’t more than 12-15 in 2 seasons, hardly excites does it ?? By the way, Olpherts was refused entry into a Wakey night club just 2 weeks ago, because he was [REMOVED] and had cocaine on him !!! Believe me or don’t, I don’t really give a crap, but it’s a fact!! ... he is bad news and not a very good player!! .... the sooner Greg gets this court thing over, the better for the team, we won’t score many with Olpherts in the team, couldn’t even get in the Salford side most of last season, because he doesn’t score try’s !!!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Jan 2020, 02:00

usacas wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:39 What was Moors number last season? Has he dropped down the pecking order?
16. But it’s just a number.
I think the 1-5 numbers give an indication of who will start the season where in the back-line, but don’t read too much into them beyond that.

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 18 Jan 2020, 02:01

Tigerwood posse wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:45 Really can’t get excited about that back line, forget what I said about Olpherts being blind in one eye (which he is) but he isn’t fit to lace Greg Eden’s boots in terms of scoring try’s, how many did he score for Salford in the last 2 seasons ?? Without looking, I bet it ain’t more than 12-15 in 2 seasons, hardly excites does it ?? By the way, Olpherts was refused entry into a Wakey night club just 2 weeks ago, because he was [REMOVED] and had cocaine on him !!! Believe me or don’t, I don’t really give a crap, but it’s a fact!! ... he is bad news and not a very good player!! .... the sooner Greg gets this court thing over, the better for the team, we won’t score many with Olpherts in the team, couldn’t even get in the Salford side most of last season, because he doesn’t score try’s !!!!
I have to agree the back line up is worse we have had for a long time , I am also worried lack off quality in the forwards if get a few injury's and we still wing in it with fullback . Don't think we will make top four this year how other teams around that area have improved apart from Salford. But god hope am wrong and we win every thing

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 Jan 2020, 07:45

on side wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 02:01
Tigerwood posse wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:45 Really can’t get excited about that back line, forget what I said about Olpherts being blind in one eye (which he is) but he isn’t fit to lace Greg Eden’s boots in terms of scoring try’s, how many did he score for Salford in the last 2 seasons ?? Without looking, I bet it ain’t more than 12-15 in 2 seasons, hardly excites does it ?? By the way, Olpherts was refused entry into a Wakey night club just 2 weeks ago, because he was [REMOVED] and had cocaine on him !!! Believe me or don’t, I don’t really give a crap, but it’s a fact!! ... he is bad news and not a very good player!! .... the sooner Greg gets this court thing over, the better for the team, we won’t score many with Olpherts in the team, couldn’t even get in the Salford side most of last season, because he doesn’t score try’s !!!!
I have to agree the back line up is worse we have had for a long time , I am also worried lack off quality in the forwards if get a few injury's and we still wing in it with fullback . Don't think we will make top four this year how other teams around that area have improved apart from Salford. But god hope am wrong and we win every thing
Your are joking, aren’t you???

Even Stevie Wonder can see Rankin, Olpherts, Mata’utia, Shenton, Feki is better than the 2018 offering of Mata’utia (not a natural full back), Clare, Minikin (not even the 2nd worse team in SL are using him as a centre), Shenton, Eden

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Jan 2020, 08:01

Plus DR in the side last season we had Trueman with Tom Dick or Harry
Exciting part of the squad will be watching DR and truey in the 6 and 7 defiantly have it in them to be future England partnership
Lot of questions marks against other members in there ...we should hold are own tho wether we can beat the likes of Saints and Wigan enough times to win a trophy remains to be seen
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 18 Jan 2020, 09:47

nottinghamtiger wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 02:00
usacas wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:39 What was Moors number last season? Has he dropped down the pecking order?
16. But it’s just a number.
I think the 1-5 numbers give an indication of who will start the season where in the back-line, but don’t read too much into them beyond that.
I'm not even sure 1-5 give an indication. I can honestly see Peanut being a utility back sub. 3 forwards on the bench with Peanut who can literally cover 1-7 at a good standard.

blinkstudios
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by blinkstudios » 18 Jan 2020, 09:51

Eddn and Blair last season were not doing enough right to keep there starting places. People on here were moaning about blair, hes been taking from starting centre to backup and people are still moaning. I'll reserve judgement on olpherts till hes played a couple of matches. Hes obviously been doing something right in pre season to get the no.2 shirt.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Jan 2020, 10:06

Correct the numbers give a accurate reflection how things stand Blair needs to show a lot more than he did last season if he wants a starting jumper never mind the 18s his favourite number crap
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 18 Jan 2020, 10:11

It’s a long season and we are going to need everyone firing to get close to a top 4 finish. Squad numbers are just that numbers.

Whilst DP will almost certainly know his starting 17 within weeks it could be very different. It’s up to the players given the jerseys to keep them.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Jan 2020, 10:20

Cook has been given 23 and he would be in my 17 every week if fit so you really have to take these with a pinch of salt.

Foster must like 17 since he's been given that again. Perhaps it's a bit of man management from Powell to illustrate the strength in depth but also make a few players earn their shirts back.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Jan 2020, 10:37

Strength in depth after the starting 13 is impressive. Not many teams have that much quality that can come in if injuries hit. Certainly the likes of Leeds and Warrington.

I just hope this year, that the players who have become too complacent in the last few years are now kept on their toes. Hopi and Griffin will certainly be ready to take advantage of that.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 18 Jan 2020, 10:45

No squad place for Lewis Carr this year then ?

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 18 Jan 2020, 11:00

tigerfeat wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 10:06 Correct the numbers give a accurate reflection how things stand Blair needs to show a lot more than he did last season if he wants a starting jumper never mind the 18s his favourite number crap

By that logic alot of our players shouldnt have a number in the 1-17 range lol

Some people put far too much into numbers these days

Its no different to football
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Jan 2020, 11:08

All I know is the 1-17 numbers look the strongest team given that Eden is out of favour
Vince Lombardi

Big Shug
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Big Shug » 18 Jan 2020, 16:13

To many posters getting hung up about individual players and their shirt number, having a good depth of squad is what’s important here.
I am looking forward to seeing George Griffin play he could be a key player for us this season.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Jan 2020, 17:03

That awkward moment when you take his position and number....
Attachments
FB_IMG_1579363347126.jpg